***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Cops getting sneaky - Ipswich Rd/Centenary Hwy

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Cops getting sneaky - Ipswich Rd/Centenary Hwy

Postby casper28 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 am

While this forum DOES NOT promote dangerous/reckless driving, just a heads up that along the Centenary Highway the cops are driving a black Golf GTI 'baiting' people. When I say 'baiting' I mean they entice you to race/drag, and if you have a go back they book you. (information relayed via family whom one of them is a [s]pig[/s] cop)
Also, if there is anyone who travels along Ipswich Road, there is a bright blue Mazda MPS that is often parked on the side of the road. Yesterday arvo I saw a flash come from it, so me thinks that they have got some new camera cars.

However - if you see a speed camera in the Ipswich shire parked on a footpath, you can get them to move it because under Local Law 27 of Ipswich City Council:

"Parking a vehicle on a path, dividing strip or nature strip is not permitted as this causes danger to pedestrians and other motorists, as well as potentially causing damage to the footpath and infrastructure.

When you are parking make sure that you:

don't park on footpaths or footpath ramps
don't park or partly block across driveways or footpaths
Unless otherwise signed, these rules apply at intersections and bus stops:
park at least 10 metres from an intersection without traffic lights
if there are traffic lights, park at least 20 metres away from the intersection
park at least 20 metres behind a bus stop, or at least 10 metres in front
You can be fined if you don't follow these rules. Additionally, if your car is parked illegally your insurance company may not cover a damage or personal injury claim."

A cops job is to ENFORCE THE LAW - not be ABOVE THE LAW, therefore they must also comply with Local Laws.

Happy motoring everyone :)

jerryme
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jerryme » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 am

Cheers for the heads up

ianmartin
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ianmartin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for that one. Something to look out for.

On the Gold Coast, they are also driving around in a silver Ralliart and a blue Evo. Not sure if they are baiting people yet, but im sure they will.

Oh and there is also a Golf RS32 running between Ormeau and Cooly to watch out for. I think it was a red one from memory

StrkEagle
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby StrkEagle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 am

sounds a bit like entrapment...

"In criminal law, entrapment is constituted by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit." -Wikipedia

probably may or may not stand up in court
but if you don't speed and there is no problem

Pete

86MIM
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby 86MIM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 am

Am going to look out for these ones - I see a blue mazda everyday... the golf issue can be rectified if you get fined, you can take it to court and argue they were harassing you on the road, ie tailgating, driving aggressively toward you etc... So you are right Pete - and this is handy to know :)

---

Thanks for the heads up!
kii

tykkään kiiltävä, nopeasti ja se on saanut olla ähkyä.
ClubCJ Lifetime Member #86

ripflare10
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ripflare10 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the heads up I haven't seen any mazda's in the Ipswich area yet but probably see them fill up at work when they get them.

That's nice to know the police are following the law lol...How does one tell them to move as they are parked illegally. You can't call the police about it as I know a few in the area and let me tell you I respect the police force and what they do but in Ipswich area I have yet to find a good one (one that actually helped me when they were needed and some have admitted to certain things to me while on the job that I know is illegal.)

Really the only thing you could do in that situation is just fight the ticket but you would have to have proof they were parked illegally and who's going to get out of there car when they have seen a flash and take a photo of the vehicle in question

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 am

Don't race or lose your temper when someone revs up at you. There's no justification for speeding on the roads unless it is to save someone's life.

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby casper28 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 am

ripflare10 wrote:Thanks for the heads up I haven't seen any mazda's in the Ipswich area yet but probably see them fill up at work when they get them.

That's nice to know the police are following the law lol...How does one tell them to move as they are parked illegally. You can't call the police about it as I know a few in the area and let me tell you I respect the police force and what they do but in Ipswich area I have yet to find a good one (one that actually helped me when they were needed and some have admitted to certain things to me while on the job that I know is illegal.)

Really the only thing you could do in that situation is just fight the ticket but you would have to have proof they were parked illegally and who's going to get out of there car when they have seen a flash and take a photo of the vehicle in question

There was a van parked on the off-ramp at Goodna a few months ago (why I don't know because it was 1730hrs and traffic was going nowhere!) so I just jumped out of the car and handed the cop a print out of the local law. He just looked at me, then I started ringing a tow truck to come and remove an illegally parked vehicle and gave them the rego. The towies don't care because an illegally parked car is an illegally parked car. I told the cop that the tow truck will be here in about 10 minutes. The cop made a phone call (guessing it was to his boss) and he left straight away. :)

ripflare10
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ripflare10 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 am

Wow awesome stuff Cass! Ha Ha thats a way to do it. Must remember to print off some copies. Wouldn't you have to pay for the tow truck though or would they just put it in the impound and let the police deal with it?
Hmm wonder if you could just not tell the police and just ring the tow truck lol that would be a funny sight for when they turn up.

casper28
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby casper28 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:07 pm

ripflare10 wrote:Wow awesome stuff Cass! Ha Ha thats a way to do it. Must remember to print off some copies. Wouldn't you have to pay for the tow truck though or would they just put it in the impound and let the police deal with it?
Hmm wonder if you could just not tell the police and just ring the tow truck lol that would be a funny sight for when they turn up.

I just rang the towies, as the person who's vehicle gets towed are the ones that pay for it and the impound fees (if any). I only gave that to the cop for the fun factor (watching the look on his face was priceless)

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:13 pm

lol, way to go cass :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Speed camera vans/police are excempt from most parking laws. Here is a snipit from their website:
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/ ... iteEnq.pdf

Section 144 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995
extends exculpatory provisions to police officers who are required to breach the
provisions of the Traffic Act whilst exercising a power of performing a function
under that act or any other act. Section 307 of the Transport Operations (Road
Use Management – Road Rules) Regulation 1999 provides further exculpation to
police and emergency vehicles which are required to be stopped or parked in
circumstances which would normally constitute a breach of the regulations.
The provisions of the Workplace Health and Safety Act surrounding the safety and
welfare of police officers as well as members of the community should always be
taken into account when operating such equipment. Authorised Speed Camera
Operators receive extensive training in the correct set up and operating procedures
for the use of the equipment.
Therefore, by virtue of the provisions of the law, Speed Camera Vehicles may be
parked on the footpath, centre islands, side of the road or in ‘no stopping’ areas.

As far as i am aware the only time there are strict regulations/guidelines with speed traps is when they intend to pull you over there must be enough room to pull over a car entirely and safely...
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I was under the impression that they can basically do what they want if its required for the operation they are doing (like if theres a robbery they're not going to waste time finding a parking bay or doing the speed limit).
But if they park illegally when they're in no rush and could have parked in a legal place then I wouldn't have thought they'd be allowed to?

That quote says welfare should be taken into account. Doesn't that mean they shouldn't break the traffic law (in this case park dangerously) unless its worthwhile? Parking in a bad spot is worse for our safety than letting a couple of speeders go. And it makes even less sense if they could have legally parked 100m down the road or something. I.e they'd still catch the same people AND not be an obstruction/hazard.

This reminds me of all the times I've been overtaken by police cars. They're not speeding enough that they're obviously on their way somewhere, they're just doing ~10kmph over because whos going to stop them.

It makes me so angry sometimes.

anzac_77
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anzac_77 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 pm

Just to clarify something, I asked my cousin who is a police officer about the orignal post, it is NOT entrapment: you as the driver have control of your actions, it is your choice whether to speed/hoon/drag or not, they arent forcing your or coercing you into doing any of it.

Kinda like the idea that some people have that they can fight a speeding fine if the police officer is standing behind a pole etc, at the end of the day if they catch you then you ARE speeding...

Return to “General Talk”