***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Computer help! For those internet tech whizzes! :)

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Computer help! For those internet tech whizzes! :)

Postby exaltd » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 pm

G'day boys and girls :)

I was just wondering - is there any way of blocking my brother's comp from getting any bandwidth through the router?

He never seems to learn that I need to use the internet and demands that he can download and use the internet as he pleases.

I am the admin so I get to set all the settings, and I use a Netgear router. However I lose out in that I am on wireless, so he seems to get all the priority.

I'm really hopeless with technology. :(

Thanks guys.

-EXALTD-

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:58 am

Depends on your model Netgear. The easiest way to stop him having access is get his MAC address and block it via the router settings. This will mean no matter how he tries to connect (wired or wireless) the router is going to block his net access.

I have a Belkin N1 modem/router and I can block MAC or IP and set times that I want them blocked between.

If you're having any drama post up the model number of your Netgear router and I will see if I can find you a walk through.

Putting a password on your wireless as Mattigans is saying should be the first thing people do. Leaving the network open can have some nasty consequences if you get the wrong person notice, especially if you have network settings set to "Share" on your computer. Wouldn't be hard for someone to trawl for your signal and log into YOUR computer via the open network.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:20 am

To completely block off access would be extreme.

The way I'd do it is to firewall his connection. Set up an internal DHCP server and ensure that his computer is firewalled on Torrents and other download ports. This ensures that if he wants to surf, he can but any downloading is throttled OR completely blocked off.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:40 am

You may find that being a home based router, that the firewall will be inadequate to actually block ports. This is ofcourse depending on the model.

Most routers today have some form od Oos (Quality of Service) which means you can prioritise certain types of internet activity. This can be a little hit and miss on consumer routers due to the amount of memory they have.

Maybe you could post the model of the router and we can have a look for you.

Jmi

Postby Jmi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

As mentioned, most "home-use" router models do not provide much. When you set a filter, it normally blocks everything. By setting a blocking filter, he basically cannot get into the LAN network with the internet connection. That to me is rather extreme and given how his attitude is, this route is going to be an all out war.

Can I ask how are you being affected? How is he using the bandwidth as I can only see torrents causing such an issue. Normally, wired or wireless does not necessarily means he gets all the priority. With my home setup, my 2 housemates are on wireless and me on wired. Only if one of them turns on a high seed torrent, even on wired, my connection is slowed like hell.

I told them to limit the upload of their torrent to 10kbps and download not higher than 50kbps. Most torrent clients allows you to set the ratio. That will ensure others can still surf the net adequately. Download isn't really the problem but it's the upload speed. Default torrent up/down ratio will have a high upload speed and that basically chokes up the upload bandwidth. Upload is needed to "request" webpages before a download can process.

Another thing I want to ask is, how is your wireless signal strength. If your signal strength is weak, regardless how he uses the internet, you'll still be slow. For example, if router is in his room to use the internet and he closes his door, your signal strength may dropped, thus causing you to lose the connection speed rather than how he uses the connection.
Last edited by Jmi on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:07 am

I agree 100% with Jmi.

I set all my torrents to 10kb upload. I don't restrict my download, but I have a Cisco router and it has plenty of memory.

The big issue with home routers as well as options is the lack of memory they have. Load up a torrent that has quite a few connections and it can bring your router to its knees!!!!!

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Thank you guys :)

Points taken. I have now blocked his IP and he can use internet but no torrents for downloading :) I'm happy :) and he's scratching his head, none the wiser!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Does he pay a percentage towards your monthly internet costs?

If so, you should consider coming to some sort of agreement so he gets is fair usage out of it.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:53 pm

He doesn't pay a cent. And refuses to.

Hence the anger when none of us can use it when he downloads.

I'm just glad I've found a way, through your advice :) And I learned something new as well, while at it. :)

Thanks all!

-EXALTD-

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 am

there is another, beat the crap out of hime everytime he steals your net.

Return to “General Talk”