Looking for advice, please help!

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Theo.K
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Looking for advice, please help!

Postby Theo.K » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 am

Ok so i just got the car back from the panel beater after putting in some new lights and repairing some panel damage from a hit and run the other day. The car was running completely normal before i took her into the shop, and she was running fine for the 15 minute drive home when i picked her up on friday. The next time i started the car, the check engine light was on and the car was running very sluggish. She was idling at 600rpm as normal and the car sounded fine, but the acceleration has plummeted and is very slow to get speed now. Also after 20 minutes of driving, it'll say my traction control is off, and that a service is required (I got the car serviced 2 months ago!). If i turn the car off and back on, those alerts will go away but reappear after another 20 or so minutes of driving.

I have absolutely no idea what's wrong, does anyone have suggestions for me to try or check out? Thanks in advance guys!

Jason-VR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Jason-VR » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 am

What lights were fitted?
Sounds like ECU is picking up low amperage use of a light circuit often found when led lights are fitted.

Theo.K
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Theo.K » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 am

Jason-ES wrote:What lights were fitted? Sounds like ECU is picking up low amperage use of a light circuit often found when led lights are fitted.

I got fit a pair of head lights and tail lights from mars performance. The new lights could explain the check engine light but i can't see how it would be the cause of the low acceleration

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:32 am

Limp mode

Jason-VR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Jason-VR » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 am

Fit the appropriate resistors and everything should be okay.
I would refit stock tail and reset the ecu to see if that fixes the problem.
I thought all aftermarket tail lights were fitted with resistors.
Good luck.

Theo.K
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Theo.K » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Jason-ES wrote:Fit the appropriate resistors and everything should be okay. I would refit stock tail and reset the ecu to see if that fixes the problem. I thought all aftermarket tail lights were fitted with resistors. Good luck.

Took it to Tynans yesterday and they changed the brake switch, that didn't work. I have to take it to an auto electrician to fit the resistors so the computer reads the right voltage again.

I was told that when the computer detects a problem, it "assumes the worst" and limits power to the engine until the problem is fixed, so it's relieving at least that the car is still mechanically sound

Dave95
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Dave95 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:09 am

I got the exact same problem because of my LED tail lights i put in yesterday. My first mod i might add ahah (of course it didnt run smoothly :P). Anyways have you managed to get a fix yet?

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”