***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My RA is a write off and claim is under review

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi all,

Just to give everyone an update here that, i took on board the majority advice to fly under the radar, and not hassling them too much since Tueseday.

As a result NRMA just sent assessors to ARJAN yesterday morning and rang me to tell me what happened, due to the excessive agreed value of 53 grand, NRMA now reckon unless the cost warrant at least the 35 grand mark, they will actually choose to repair the car instead!! In other words, they are going against ARJAN’s advice of writing the car off.

They have no idea how much it will be cos this will take about 2-3 weeks at least to get the quote out, but I was just thinking, what is the point of spending say 28 grand repairing the car just to make sure it can move on the road again, i mean the car will never be the same again, it will not sound or drive the same after such a huge impact, the tuning will be affected now that the engine component has been hit and crank pulley replaced. They will have to send the car to MRT for tuning and no doubt Brett is gonna make the most out of this opportunity and make them pay XXX big bucks for. The car might suffer internal problem, and they will proabaly have to pull out the dash and inserts on the door to make sure no rattling will take place, and what would happen if the car is to be vibrating later on, I really hope NRMA guys are able to see the complications of this process and the light of things and just write it off instead, but there is no way i can tell them to make them see the whole picture as all they care about is that it will prolly save them a few thousand dollars on hand, not knowing it’s prolly a lot easier to just pay it off than to go through this lengthy process that is more likely to turn out to be a blackhole.

Ohh well, guess i have no chance but to accept their decision?? Can i argue for them to write the car off instead, cos it’d be much easier and more cost-effective long run??

Thank all.

Dejan

P.S: Pics will be uploaded shortly.
What goes around comes around.

Jim G
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jim G » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Dejan wrote:Hi all,

Just to give everyone an update here that, i took on board the majority advice to fly under the radar, and not hassling them too much since Tueseday.

As a result NRMA just sent assessors to ARJAN yesterday morning and rang me to tell me what happened, due to the excessive agreed value of 53 grand, NRMA now reckon unless the cost warrant at least the 35 grand mark, they will actually choose to repair the car instead!! In other words, they are going against ARJAN’s advice of writing the car off.

They have no idea how much it will be cos this will take about 2-3 weeks at least to get the quote out, but I was just thinking, what is the point of spending say 28 grand repairing the car just to make sure it can move on the road again, i mean the car will never be the same again, it will not sound or drive the same after such a huge impact, the tuning will be affected now that the engine component has been hit and crank pulley replaced. They will have to send the car to MRT for tuning and no doubt Brett is gonna make the most out of this opportunity and make them pay XXX big bucks for. The car might suffer internal problem, and they will proabaly have to pull out the dash and inserts on the door to make sure no rattling will take place, and what would happen if the car is to be vibrating later on, I really hope NRMA guys are able to see the complications of this process and the light of things and just write it off instead, but there is no way i can tell them to make them see the whole picture as all they care about is that it will prolly save them a few thousand dollars on hand, not knowing it’s prolly a lot easier to just pay it off than to go through this lengthy process that is more likely to turn out to be a blackhole.

Ohh well, guess i have no chance but to accept their decision?? Can i argue for them to write the car off instead, cos it’d be much easier and more cost-effective long run??

Thank all.

Dejan

P.S: Pics will be uploaded shortly.

Even if it costs $35k to repair NRMA may not be able to purchase a new one for less than that, thus making it more cost effective for them to repair it. It's not them that have to drive around in it for the rest of the car's life so whatever's cheaper for them would probably look more appealing.
25% off vehicle photoshoots for ClubCJ members!

http://codastudios.com.au

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Working on the figures you're providing:

Write off = A$53,000 cheque to you.

Repair = A$28,000 to various people

Buffer = 53-28 = A$25,000

Do you see any further charges from MRT or ARJAN coming to A$25,000?

If not, it should be obvious why NRMA is going for repair as their choice.

Always remember. It's NOT their car. It belongs to you which is why you say it will never be the same.

To them it's just an asset or liability. In this case, your car is now a liability to them. And the less they can spend on it, the better for them... .
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:05 pm

ofey wrote:Working on the figures you're providing:

Write off = A$53,000 cheque to you.

Repair = A$28,000 to various people

Buffer = 53-28 = A$25,000

Do you see any further charges from MRT or ARJAN coming to A$25,000?

If not, it should be obvious why NRMA is going for repair as their choice.

Always remember. It's NOT their car. It belongs to you which is why you say it will never be the same.

To them it's just an asset or liability. In this case, your car is now a liability to them. And the less they can spend on it, the better for them... .

That's not true Ofey, here's the breakdown according to my calculation:

1. Write off = $53000 one cheque, however they sell the wreckage which the car still has about 80-85% of near new parts left, so $15 grand conservatively speaking, plus i pay $3000 for excess, plus $500 for the rest of my policy which they get to keep, their net pay off figure is $34500.

2. However if they choose to repair it, its $28000 for what CAN BE SEEN on the surface, that DOES NOT take into account of pulling dash off and inserts for rattling issue (cos this is unforseen cost), tuning cost (Brett would be stupid not to charge them a fortune, say 2 grand at least plus dyno graph cost???), whatever other probs and hassles i am going to unload at them cos the cAR DESONT FEEL the same when driving, all that would it cost $7000 extra to bring it even to the amount NRMA would pay out if its a write off?? YOU BET!!

Do you see my point now?? This is why if its a medium to major damage on a complicated car with mods, its better if ou write it off IMO, even coming out of NRMA's perspective.

3. Also, what if i agree to lower my agreed value down to say 50 grand or 48 for example, thats what 5 grand less for them to pay off, would this attract for them to write off the car now?? Can i suggest this to them, or is that not recommended??

Just wanna test out a few scenarios here.

Thanking you all.

Dejan

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 pm

Unfortunately you're between a rock and a hard place. You were at fault, your car was technically illegal at the time of the accident and you had to fight for them to even accept/process the claim.

Sounds like you'll have to bite your tongue on this and stop rocking the boat. Be thankful they are fixing the car, if you make to many waves it could backfire and you'll lose out completely.

Its a crap situation but it could have been much much worse.

Cheers
John

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:56 pm

Agreed with the above.

Just be grateful they are fixing your car because even though it is a bit unfair they can still easily turn around and say your policy is void due to your mods see you later.

Also don't you have coilovers and a pretty loud exhaust? So nearly every panel will already be vibrating like shit anyways...

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Come on I wanna c him piss NRMA off and have his policy pulled, c how he plans to pay for repairs by himself

OHH YEA!!!!

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Quixand » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Dejan.. from what I read at the start of this thread you were initially concerned that you might not get covered at all (with your mods and you are actually at fault) and that would be a big problem for you.. now that NRMA has agreed to cover you, you seem to not be satisfied but actually feel somewhat ripped off from what i read inspite of it.. honestly if i was in the same situation i would be grateful to be able to get out of the stressful situation of not getting covered especially since you still have a significant loan on the car.

Also reading your multiple comments you seem to be eager to harass everybody, I would advise for you to not do that. I don't see it helping you in any way, you will only be pissing people off.. People who, in your case, you should be hoping to be on your side. Remember, you need them more than they need you.

Chad_1990
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Chad_1990 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:09 pm

Also Dejan becareful with what you post mate because insurance companies like where my sister works at CGU check forums and fb for information breaching policy. Not saying you have said anything wrong and give you another million thoughts but be careful.

But also mate, like everyone said before there really is nothing you can do to speed up anything but you can dame sure do stuff to slow things down so just try to chill out a bit. Find a hobby or something, just stop hassling your insurance because its just gonna cause problems.

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey Daniel,

I highly doubt ppls working at insurance would bother checking on forums, think they have better things to do, besdies i haven't said or done anything illegal ayways, but i see where your coming from, so thanks for that.

Everyone needs to chill here, dont you think i know i should be grateful??? I AM, but i just dont think i have done anything wrong. Fair enough the incident happened to be my fault, but doesn't everyone make mistakes, what is it about my mistake that i should just be a puppy now and let insurers tell me what to do leeft right and centre??

I am simply making suggestions to see what options I have. My car is NOT FITTED with coil over or anything modified suspension, it DOES NOT go over the RTA restricted noise level, cos it doens't have cannon or loud exhaust, i didnt tune my car for that as Mr SmyASSy quickly pointed out, and there was NO vibration or dash rattlings whatsoever before the accident, so I am well within my right to be concerned of such major accident might cause unforseen issues that sometimes ppls that DONT HAVE VISION might not realise. Looking too close sometime makes you less aware of your surroundings i guess.

I hope my thread here has more or less brought new insights and knowledges for ppls who might otherwise not knowing what to do or what their rights are if they are to be in my situation as well.

I hope i haven't done things here to piss ppls off, if i have i sincerely apologise, I have learned a lot of valuable info that i otherwise wouldn't know by not being on here, so a big thank you to CLUB CJers for all your contributions. I can't thakn youse enough.

I'll keep eveyrone in the loop here and give as much updates as I can.

IN the meantime, please keep your comments coming.

Dejan

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

This situation goes to show that the "agreed value" is not always the best idea. If you had the value at 40k new, then by now it would be around 35k, they may have scrapped it and gave you a new one. But at 53k - If the insurance company can save a grand by not paying you out - they will!!!

You may have to decide that once you get the car back, you will have to sell (at a heavily reduced price) and buy another one. This may be your only way out mate.

One way or another - you will end up with a Ralliart......but in what state or condition???? Keep us updated.

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

hahaha, no way as if i'd sell my beast if i get it back, look bottom line i want my car to be in prestine and mint condition again, let it'd be a ralliart or evo or corolla or whatever.

Once insurance accepts the job and repair starts, then it becomes their problem, they would have to GUARANTEE their work to MAKE SURE car is back to its absolute pre-accident state, let it be power output or driving dynamics or even stereo sound, at least that's what i was being told anyways, if that means they have to pay another 5 grand to get Brett to retune it, then they should and there is a great chance they will.

I dont think it'd be such a good idea to ensure your car according to mkt value, cos Rallairt's mkt value for an 08 model is what 30 grand? As if i'd want a brand new stock Ralliart after all the mods i've done to make it stand out and suited to my own taste. If i did that i'd have lost what 5-6 gramd of mods and 5 grand of factory options i've chucked in there??

I guess with a stock car, yeah i agree with you there Azza.

All i can say is that i do miss my own car to drive, and it doesn' quite feel the same when you downgrade from a 5.3 second car to an I30 tho i only have myself to blame in this case and i'm well aware of that.

Like i said i am indeed very GRATEFUL that NRMA are going ahead to accept my claim but for their sake, i just think scrappin it would save them costs long run, but hey they are the one making the decision end of the day, so if they wanna take the long way out, i'm more than happy for that to happen.

FYI: as if i'd be stupid enough to hassle these guys let it be NRMA or ARJAN, tho that was something i was tempted to do, not because i was bored but because i think there is rooms for efficiency improvement there, you'd be amazed at how after almost 2 wks since the incdient and they have even started the quote process yet, ie: not one single part was quoted so far ,what a joke!!!

I understand i need to be patient and I AM, but as if you wouldn't be skitzzing when your 53K asset is frozen and you dont know which way its heading, please understand where I am coming from.

Anyways, at least i can start the coundown clock now.

Cheers,

Dejan

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:56 pm

I'd be climbing the walls too mate. I didn't think of the tune added to the price. That reminds me to add my full exhaust to my insurance policy so its covered in the event I go down your path.

I was just going down the logical path that I would consider. My car is virtuallu stock so I havent put much money into it, so if it had the same probs as you, I would get it fixed, sell for 26-28 grand and take the loss - but thats only a 15 grand loss. With you, it would be a different story. I think this is why I don't do much with my car.....You don't get back what you put in, so.........blah blah blah......anyway, if you get the chance to visit your car it would be good to take some pics and post em so we can all play "Guess what the damage bill is!!" (I know that sounds low, but I would be interested in seeing what 25k worth of damage to a Ralliart looks like)

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 am

Does that mean I can no longer take your engine??? crap :(
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Superintendent Chalmers wrote:I'd be climbing the walls too mate. I didn't think of the tune added to the price. That reminds me to add my full exhaust to my insurance policy so its covered in the event I go down your path.

I was just going down the logical path that I would consider. My car is virtuallu stock so I havent put much money into it, so if it had the same probs as you, I would get it fixed, sell for 26-28 grand and take the loss - but thats only a 15 grand loss. With you, it would be a different story. I think this is why I don't do much with my car.....You don't get back what you put in, so.........blah blah blah......anyway, if you get the chance to visit your car it would be good to take some pics and post em so we can all play "Guess what the damage bill is!!" (I know that sounds low, but I would be interested in seeing what 25k worth of damage to a Ralliart looks like)

Azza Azza Azza, i understand your curiosity and how you probably get a kick out of my misfortune (cmon mate lets just be open and honest about it, I would be doing the same thing if i see some idiot who crashed his 53K modded up toy), and thats perfectly fine, your entitled to your responses and opinion. But the truth is at the end of the day, i’m involved in bit of a mess here, and i need to make sure it is in the best of my interest to limit damages and not to blow it out of proportion, which I haven’t done so in real life. I might come across as bit ungrateful and carrying on here, but thats cos i wanna be open and honest about my thots with you guys here since there are a lot of friendly chuppies here and i wanna see how things might turn out different ways if I try a few diff things.

Like Daniel very rightfully pointed out, there is that slim chance that one of the guys on here might just be the NRMA guy that i came off the phone last week, the last thing i want is for my car to be published in local newspaper and having ppls pointed their fingers to and play games with, so until this whole thing is all settled, i won’t be posting any pix any time soon and roadblock my own path ahead whatever negative effect that might have.

P.s: when i modded my car, i never for a sec thot about re-sell and getting money back, its about maximising your level of enjoyment with something you live with on a day to day basis, if you like it, thats the main thing, and thats where it ends.

Also, selling the car right away after insurers just fixed it IMHO is the stupidest thing one can do. So you cop the loss and what good does that do for you?? Do you really hate your car that much and can’t wait to get rid of it? I prefer the write off only bcos i know there is no guarantee my car would be back to its pre-accident state, otherwise i’d be more than happy for the car to be repaired instead. But then again, your mind prolly works a lot different to mine, each to their own i guess.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”