***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help! New car VIN question

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:39 am

Might be a silly question, but how did our rides become CJ if the codes are CX, CY or CZ for this Lancer series?
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 am

It's just what MMAL chose to name it.

Goes back a long way.

The CE Lancer had a CJ chassis code ;)
CH was CS from memory

Weird but that's how they named it!

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:46 am

+1 SIR-VRX

CY or CZ could have been catchier, because I remember a klutz person in my school called C.J. :lol:
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 am

So technically it's a CY model lancer regardless of what MMAL name it?? I wonder if MMAL ask permission of Japan to re-name it?? Its a japanese constructed car so technically we should be going on what's on the VIN??
so MY-10-CY personalized plates wouldn't look out of place after all??

Be interesting to know if VE commodore has VE written on there vin??
It's no big deal but I'm trying to work out why in Australia we tend to use a two letter code whether it be a BA falcon or ZH outlander, when if u ask someone from America what model Pontiac grand prix for example, they will say 2004-2005 etc and they don't tend to pronounce codes like we do :)

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:18 am

Gleno wrote:So technically its a CY model lancer regardless of what MMAL name it?? I wonder if MMAL ask permission of Japan to re-name it?? Its a japanese constructed car so technically we should be going on whats on the VIN?? so MY-10-CY personalized plates wouldnt look out of place after all?? Be interesting to know if VE commodore has VE written on there vin?? Its no big deal but Im trying to work out why in Australia we tend to use a two letter code whether it be a BA falcon or ZH outlander, when if u ask someone from America what model Pontiac grand prix for example, they will say 2004-2005 etc and they dont tend to pronounce codes like we do :)

Haha, yeah and in the UK they just go by the number plate to say what year its from!

Well my skyline had a VIN beginning with R32... however my Civic coupe before that was an EJ8 even though all the sedans and hatches of the same shape were called EK models. Its weird that they use a similar but different code with the Lancers, you would think it would confuse them.

Also, with regard to Redbook, don't believe everything you read on there its full of mistakes.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”