***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New to Lancer, looking at an MY10 Aspire

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:17 pm

IMO, the CVT is so smooth you won't really feel a throwback when you press the accelerator. When you put down your foot when the car is already rolling the in-gear acceleration is quite quick, though you can't really feel it.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 pm

When I test drove the CJ at launch with the CVT I felt it was effortless in it's acceleration.. you can't tell whether the car is strained or anything!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:37 pm

That's because it rarely goes above 3k rpm at normal traffic speeds. :D
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

driftnut((
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby driftnut(( » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:51 am

i know scraver said he had his rx cvt at 6.1L/100km and u want see that in a manaul but its not trure i have a rx MT and i have it @ 5.8L/100KM

driftnut((.. ClubCJ's first RX TURBO, Merlinised, K&N pod 18" KING wheels, BC coil overs, Alpine/Pioneer system, Short shifter, Cat back system, Evo x turbo system, ralliart injectors & pump

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:15 am

All these claims of 5.8L/100 KM and 6.1L/100 KM are making me feel really sad.

I have a CVT and at best I can do is 9.6L/100 KM.

Yes I have sound deadened the car but I don't carry my spare wheel.
I also have a K&N Air Panel Filter and my tyres are done at 39PSI.

Fantastic performance from some of the cars here. I can never get those numbers.

I do about 34KM a day to and from work in stop start peak hour traffic with abit on the freeway.

If I'm really lucky and I leave for work at 1000hrs + and then then leave work for home at 2000hrs +, I can get 7.9L/100KM.

Something is dead wrong with my car then. Though the window sticker at point of sale says 8.8L/100KM for the Lancer.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:39 am

Hey Ofey, I'm with you on this one.
All these fuel efficient claims dont make sense.

Perhaps some guys drive down hills more than any other hills.
Perhaps some guys are reading the display way to early before it's recalculated the L/Kms.
Not to mention any performance mods, these efficiency readings could not be possible if any mods were put to good use.

It just so confussing, Most people on this forum are always chasing performance, yet here we are talking about consumption.

Proven Mechanical Theory: Performance Increase = Consumption Increase (provded all else is kept nominal/constant.)
One does not ofset the other, they alter in Parrallel.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:38 am

All these numbers are to be taken with a grain of salt. The display can show major inaccuracies in certain circumstances. I have had my display down to 1.2L/100 before. I can make it show whatever I like by driving a certain way, then resetting it at that level, then BAM.

The only way to get an accurate reading is with each tank of fuel, you record the KMs traveled, and then how many litres until the pump clicks off.

So for example:

43L fill for 480KM = (43 / 480) * 100 = 8.95 L/100

My average for my daily driving is 9.9 L/100 However, that is spirited driving. on the highway north from Brisbane I was getting 6.4 L/100 averages, including some local driving off the highway.

I am waiting to get a good run on one tank with my RPW ECU Tune to see what difference that makes, if at all. Performance got a big tick for me, hopefully the same for the fuel economy.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:42 am

My 6.1 was, I'll admit on a long-ish (Robertson - Canberra) highway run with almost no traffic (minimal overtaking) and really babying it as the car was still new (less then 1000km). I probably had a tail wind too. I checked the display at the Canberra end of the run.

Starting 17/11 I've been tracking my fuel usage with Road Trip Lite on my iPod Touch. My current average to date going by this app is 8.15l/100.

I will note that I don't drive in stop start traffic like you see in Sydney and Melbourne, as there is minimal traffic when I tend to be on the road (3-4pm & after midnight). I probably don't drive as many kilometres as other people as well; since I average about half a tank a week with the exception being the occasional run to Sydney and back.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125

Car & Home audio nut.

Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS

Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:18 am

Ultimately depends on how you boot the car, if you carry the driver only, if your tyres are properly inflated... if its highway speeds without stopping etc...

I HAVE had 6.2l/100km for the entire Sydney to Toowoomba run.....

But, as Scraver said, you are only doing 90kph and you are not lead-footing on hills etc...

There is nothing inherently wrong with a CVT... I find it has more 60-100kph acceleration than my BA Falcon...

If you are in a big city, and in traffic all the time, its a blessing!!!

Oh, BTW, welcome to CLUBCJ !

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:25 am

I occasionally get in the 5 L/km. but like others going down hills. E.G. I drive to my parents at Williamstown S.A. about 55 km away. On the way there I get about 9L/Km and on the way home I get about 5 L/Km. So averages out about 7.5 L/km. I am very happy with this. Driving around the suburbs around Adelaide I get about 9 L/km.
Interesting is when I first bought my car it used to show 590km to empty when I filled the tank and know it shows about 700km to empty.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:49 pm

wow.. mine has never shown that much... lucky you!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:22 pm

I use Road Trip on my iPhone too (the full version) and my latest fill was 58.61 L!! Cheezes if The Lancer Tank is 59 L, how close was I to finishing it off??

At the moment, I'm apparently doing 10.23L/100KM.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

driftnut((
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby driftnut(( » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:16 pm

my numbers are on long free way trips not start stop

driftnut((.. ClubCJ's first RX TURBO, Merlinised, K&N pod 18" KING wheels, BC coil overs, Alpine/Pioneer system, Short shifter, Cat back system, Evo x turbo system, ralliart injectors & pump

mk
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby mk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far guys, you're a wealth of information. This site should be sponsored by Mitsubishi, this site is more helpful than a dealer.

Here's some more questions :-D

How do people with the CVT find the acceleration when overtaking on the highway? i.e. B-train trucks, for example.

I notice the rear windows have privacy glass on them, do they filter UV out as well? if not, should one get a UV film on them?

When I was driving my friends ES, I found back-shifting whilst slowing down quite jerky. Is that normal?

Do the mirrors on the car bend backwards and forwards? i.e. so if they're pushed they won't snap off?

Is there much difference in engine power with the aircon on? i.e. does it sap much power from the engine?

Does the aircon have a replaceable dust/pollen filter? In some cars the filter is behind the glove box and can be replaced with a better quality one.

I see some people have mentioned changing the engine air intake filter, what impact/difference does that have on the engine?

How do people find the size of the boot? any problems fitting things in?

What problems have people had with their Lancers? any common annoyances/defects?

What kind of release cycle do Mitsubishi work on? i.e. so the MY10 release has just recently happened, is there typically one release per year, or more? do they do major updates at each release? etc. I'm just interested to know when people think the next update will occur.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:28 pm

The acceleration of the CVT whilst moving is good. It has a bit of lag when taking off from a stand still but after that it is good.
Yes there is no UV protection on the privacy glass, so needs a clear tint fitted.
I find no problems when back shifting, but I drive pretty conservatively.
I don't notice the air conditioner, but I almost always have it on. I never open the windows except the sun roof a little to allow the hot air to escape.
Mirrors fold both ways, all Australian cars have too.
There is a pollen filter behind the glove box, it will need to be changed depending on conditions and the amount it is used.
The boot size is fine for me. I can easily fit a large pram in it. Having a low opening makes it easier to fit things in as well.
I have not had any problems with my car mechanically, but the paint is not the best. The Plastic bumper bars are a different colour then the metal body and doors.
Last edited by aspir3 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”