***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Dealing with scratches/dents

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Dealing with scratches/dents

Postby cyssero » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 pm

So to cut a rambling story short - the left side of my red Lancer has collected quite a few scratches and a dent from someone slamming their door into mine.

I park it at work, get out, check the cars next to me, come back and there's new scratches on it already. I've started taking photos of cars next to mine it's gotten that bad.. anyway.

Are people riding around in 100% immaculate Lancer's or have people bit their tongue and copped a few scratches here and there? I'm looking at around $700 to get mine taken care of. I can cut it down to about $300 if I don't get my passenger doors done which are mostly fine but do have some noticeable scratches and that dent I mentioned before.

The $300 comes from the rear bumper which must get done - no questions. I'm OK to pay that. I'm wondering if I should fork out the extra for the left hand side doors to get some scratches and the dent taken care of. A lot of people are saying it's just part of owning a car and these things will continue to happen, and I agree. Scratches while annoying, are just scratches. So are dents. They're not overly noticeable but I want to maintain the 'new car' feel for as long as possible.

But I turn to Lancer lovers and seek their opinion. So tell me, what would you do? Fork out $400 to get it fixed or keep the money and let it slide?

So much for keeping the rambling short!

Cheers

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29 pm

I've managed to keep mine scratch and dent free... All in the choice of carpark and how you park in it.

Stone chips however... we won't go there haha

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:45 pm

got one dent on the rear left fender! arghh will probably get it fixed before i roll my guards.. its so little but i look at it every time i walk past.. :|

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 pm

mines relatively scratch free but it is dent free for now.

iv got a few scratches tho one from some bit** and her handbag dragged across my rear door. probably some lard ass. and one super deep scratch from when i got it back from a service. but in inside the door. on the drivers side. i told them about it and they said i couldn't prove they did it so, yer its still there., and stone chips yer don't ask, curse the lancer and its weak paint :(

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:13 am

i got a nice little ding only after a few weeks, some nice person decided a nice white mark would look good on my car. i would even double park to stop someone from parking next to me. or even park at the right angle (NOBODY does) but now i park next to a tree and a no parking sign.

yes these things do happen. yes it is part of owning a car it cant be helped, but its just a pain in the a$$ when it happens and others just dont care, ive seen it happen, a car parked next to a mates car, she opened the door hard and hit his car as i was walking past, she got out of the car and kept walking, i pulled her up and went off at her, she was like its not your car dont worry, and look at it the car is shit he wont even know. so i took some pics on my phone got the rego numbers. told my mate, went to the cops. and she had to pay to get it fixed ($1000) plus a $500 fine from the cops. hahaha

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 am

I know if a guy here who required a new rear bumper for his VRX sportback
20 minutes after taking delivery of it. He was parked in the Repco car park
when someone backed into it.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:54 am

bd-850 wrote:i got a nice little ding only after a few weeks, some nice person decided a nice white mark would look good on my car. i would even double park to stop someone from parking next to me. or even park at the right angle (NOBODY does) but now i park next to a tree and a no parking sign.

yes these things do happen. yes it is part of owning a car it cant be helped, but its just a pain in the a$$ when it happens and others just dont care, ive seen it happen, a car parked next to a mates car, she opened the door hard and hit his car as i was walking past, she got out of the car and kept walking, i pulled her up and went off at her, she was like its not your car dont worry, and look at it the car is s**t he wont even know. so i took some pics on my phone got the rego numbers. told my mate, went to the cops. and she had to pay to get it fixed ($1000) plus a $500 fine from the cops. hahaha

dam webmarshal at work stops me from posting S H I (The Letter T)
that is awsome well done there

Chubb wrote:I know if a guy here who required a new rear bumper for his VRX sportback
20 minutes after taking delivery of it. He was parked in the Repco car park
when someone backed into it.

and thats just plain badluck lol

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:07 am

I got a couple of dents on mine on the passenger side from doors.. Not noticable unless pointed out. Same with a small on above my left headlight on the bonnet from a stick impact on the freeway.

I'd say if someone notices it, then get it fixed, if not, then it's not bad enough and leave it be. Unless you can get it done for really really cheap.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Zac6221 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 am

Check these guys out: http://www.thesmartguys.com.au/

I became a member and any repair is a flat fee of $55 :)

lurch
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby lurch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 am

For the door dings consider paintless removal. I've had it done before and it turned out perfect. I'm very picky and a detailing nut but I still couldn't fault it.

Also, a professional detailer, not some backyard $30 wash and vac guy, may be able to do something with the scratches.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 pm

mate... its an everyday car?! If so, then you may have to deal with what life sends you... A couple of small chips or whatever is not much to worry about.. if any metal is folded or crumpled, then I would fix that...

good luck!

minimumtrade
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby minimumtrade » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:45 pm

i wonder why so many cars nowadays no longer come with door bumper strips.

Sure most cars look better without them, but only when there's no dents !!

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:51 pm

tryg wrote:mate... its an everyday car?! If so, then you may have to deal with what life sends you... A couple of small chips or whatever is not much to worry about.. if any metal is folded or crumpled, then I would fix that...

good luck!

Thanks to everyone for advice and replies. Given me a bit to think about.

It is an everyday car, guess even if I repair it I will have to deal with it happening again. No metal is folded or crumpled but there is a 'ding line' where someone opened their door into mine. Repairs looking at up to $700.

Can insurance deal with these things? Car is under dad's name so excess is around $500 I know, but will they allow a claim for multiple incidents and multiple scratches? Also don't want to ruin dad's no claim bonus but I think he has it for life anyway.

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 am

I bought the Smartguys service from the Mitsubishi dealer when I bought the car - my kids are forever banging the car doors onto each other in the garage.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart
- Boostpill + Tune
- Upgraded intercooler + pipes
- Turbo XS Catback
- Drift BoV
- Blitz Air Filter

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

Might seem a bit obvious Rob and you may have already done it but try putting some old carpet on the walls of the garage to prevent some scratching of the doors with the kids. :)

Return to “Exterior”