Windows Tint

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Ringwood supra_51.

I haven't used them as I got my Lancer done with dealer tinting, but they were used by my friend. Don't know if they install with felts or not.

Details are as follows:
Twilight Auto Tinting
3/51-57 Seymour St, Ringwood - (03) 9876 0011

Hope that helps.

-EXALTD-

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:23 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:
bye2u wrote:groundzero tinting quoted me $70 for just the fronts.. a lot of people recommend him just go through ozhonda, jdmstyletuning, evolutionoz and other forums and you will see his rep.. though it might be a bit of a travel for you since his workshop is in blacktown..
Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Is that price for tints < 35% or just the legal stuff? Do you know what brand of film he uses? I'll have a search thru ozhonda, etc and see if it's mentioned. :)

http://www.groundzerotint.com/Services.htm

$70 was quoted for just front windows.. any percentage..

for all windows it will be like $150 i think..

slongdo11
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby slongdo11 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:35 am

For those concerned about UV protection...Something as simple as Saran Wrap will provide UV protection...So, windows provide excellent UV protection regardless of tint. Tint almost acts similar to polarization in that it'll cut down on glare.
In any case...
I've got 20% on all windows and it's not TOO dark. Someone mentioned the black interior helping out - and it does...So if in doubt, go with the 35% because it'll still appear darker.
And unfortunately, I never heard of felt inserts going over the rubber. I wish I had - after the first week of having my tints professionally done, a HUGE scratch formed from the middle DOWN. It had nothing to do with the upper part of the window. It's definitely the rubber seal or whatever that caused it. I hate it.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 am

The seals in the windows are a known problem unfotunately - both Lancer and Outlander have the same issue. Some tint shops know about it and know to place felt over the seal or in fact remove it.

Some cars were made with the felt on - some weren't, for reasons unknown to me. I was lucky that my car had the felt from factory and there have been no troubles with the tint so far.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Damn, if I could get part numbers on those felts!!!!! Save my from cleaning this stupid glue on the tint...
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 am

The_Bandit wrote:The seals in the windows are a known problem unfotunately - both Lancer and Outlander have the same issue. Some tint shops know about it and know to place felt over the seal or in fact remove it.

Some cars were made with the felt on - some weren't, for reasons unknown to me. I was lucky that my car had the felt from factory and there have been no troubles with the tint so far.

I've had a look at my driver's door.
The external flap seems to have felt (although not relevant to the tint as tht's on the interior of the glass).
The internal flap seems to be rubber. However, if the window is wound down and stick my finger in the slot there is another set of flaps about half an inch down. The interior facing flap seems to either be grubby or felty. (It was dark in my apartment garage so can't tell between the two).

so which one should i be concerned about the upper interior flap or the lower interior flap?

i've decided to go with the 20% 3M film (although 35% VLT is the legal limit) - I'll take the risk, unlikely I'll get caught and worse that can happen is I get a fine. I doubt the po-po would be piggish enough to defect it and class it "unroadworthy" forcing me to tow it back home.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Well I was supposed to get my 20% tints Monday morning, rocked up, dropped car off, told me to come back in an hour so. 30 mins later, I get a call, 'we've used up all our 20% on the weekend, we've put 5% on, looks fine from the outside but it;s a bit dark from the inside". Idiots, told them to rip it off and they'll do the 20% today.

....anyway the point of this post, had a chat about the scratching on tints. Guy said, only a problem with cheaper tints and the issue is cause by dust/particle accumulation on the lower inner flap. So keeping your flaps clean is a must. :)

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 am

wow 5%.. that is wayy tooo dark...

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:55 am

LOL - err, they should have called you before putting it on - what ding dongs.... !!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah tottally agree. Oh well. Got them done today. 20% looks like a fairly good match from most angles. When you do have direct light thru the glass, you can tell the difference between the privacy glass (darker) than the tinted front.
As for visibility inside to out. During the day light it's fine, no issues there.
However when i drove into a local shopping centre car park, you can notice the visilbity difference, it's quite dark. The privacy glass provides better visibility in carpark conditions.
Normal night time driving with street lights, I don't see too much an issue.
As for night time wet weather visibilty might be a problem. We will see.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Looked at my paperwork and it says 17% front and 35% rear. I thought they were going to use a clear UV film on the back,
oh well I'm not complaining, It looks good.

Image Image

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Aspired wrote:Looked at my paperwork and it says 17% front and 35% rear. I thought they were going to use a clear UV film on the back,
oh well I'm not complaining, It looks good.

I'm confused, I thought the Aspire came with privacy glass?
and why would you have lighter (more transparent) tints on the rear than the front. Unless I'm reading it wrong or I'm a n00b.

Edit @ 21:44: I just too mine for a drive at night, it's a tad dark looking out at night. Can't imagine what 5% would be like! :shock:
Tho, during the day the car looks good from the outside, one upside is now I am even more wary of shoulder checking (i know you should always be) more so than I was.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Hmm just found out that the tinters instead of replacing the inner lower flap with a felty one, they have actually removed it! Should I be worried? Will this be a problem or cause issues?

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't know if that will cause probs.. but I do know it is there for a reason? Sounds dodge?

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:59 pm

milobob wrote:I don't know if that will cause probs.. but I do know it is there for a reason? Sounds dodge?

Same thoughts, but not sure. At the end of the day, my 1500k service (I'm at 1700-ish now) is on monday. I can always ask the mitsu people to place the felty ones ones. :)

Even if it costs. It has to be there for a reason.

Return to “Interior”