***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

what brand of HID shall i get?

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cao
INACTIVE Member Account

what brand of HID shall i get?

Postby cao » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

i am thinking of getting a 6000k HID, but dont know which brand to choose. BTW, my MY08 VRX has standard headlamps, low beam, 51W HB4. i saw most of the HID are 55W or 50W, does it matter?

some suggestions please, thanks !!
Leo~~~

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Welcome Cao

Just before you purchase the HIDS, you know the legal and safety risk implications that HIDS bring on yes?
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

cao
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby cao » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:53 pm

it s kind of illigal, but everyone does it. shall be ok.
Leo~~~

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 pm

i have the 6000ks from automoglow.. they are good... and have a good cut off point...

many of us on here have these and havent had a problem with law enforcement!

oh and just a quick heads up... you will have SIR-VRX doing your head in in a second about the legal implications...

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Not kinda illegal, totally illegal unless their in the right type of reflector housing for the headlights.

The light the HIDS produce burn at a higher tempreture than the standard bulbs so the first thing you ought to know is that 6000k is the most you want to go with HIDS if were to get them AT ALL in a standard lancer. Go any higher and you risk burning and discolouring the reflectors and lenses in headlight.

Second of all. Since the housing isnt designed for HIDS, the light that the HIDS produce cannot be focused correctly. With HIDS there is supposed to be the light, then a disgingueshed cut off point at the top of where the light is being focused, IE, a wall.

If they are put in a standard housing, the light isnt focused correctly and the light sprays everywhere and is a real hazard to other motorists. There is some pictures up on this site somewhere with the way HIDS should look in the correct housing, and they way HIDS look in the incorrect housing, If i find it, ill post it up here for ya.

Not to mention that people have a habbit of not adjusting them so they dont blind other drivers as much. Still dangerous either way. Also got to make sure they have washers on them aswell.

Get HIDS if you want them, i personally want a set, i was actually going to buy a set before i learnt about all the issues that it causes. But, just make sure you understand all the legal and saftey issues before you buy them

Hope that helps

----------

EDIT: Andros, i beat adrian to the punch lol. Hopefully i got what i said right, learnt most of that off him lol
Last edited by tadz0rz on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:01 pm

I was going to say HID's is a housing that is not designed for them i.e without parabolic lenses, height adjusters and washes, is technically illegal in all States, I think.

Each to their own, and there are many here that would take the risk on HIDs and other mods. We're just here to offer some advice. Take it or leave it.
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

STACYS

Postby STACYS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 pm

ANDROS wrote:

oh and just a quick heads up... you will have SIR-VRX doing your head in in a second about the legal implications...

LOL you beat me too it!

lets see how long till SIR-VRX finds this thread :wink:

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:31 pm

I reckon he's sick and tired already of complaining about HIDs.... it's been said time and time again, so to each their own.

STACYS

Postby STACYS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Yeah true but cao is only asking so can still help him with that.

tadz0rz wrote:.

Get HIDS if you want them, i personally want a set, i was actually going to buy a set before i learnt about all the issues that it causes. But, just make sure you understand all the legal and saftey issues before you buy them

^That was the same as me but a dear friend told me not to and im happy they did, i would hate to be a cause of a accident due to HID's

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:39 pm

Exactly, not really worth the risk. Just have to wait until ofey brings in these custom projector headlamps with angel eyes and bi-xenon lights xD

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 pm

I saw this thread. I just rolled my eyes.

And i have minions now to do the rule explanation for me aye Tadz. haha

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:27 pm

I've used 35w ones from eBay for months and I've never had any problems (8000k).

recently purchased some new (6000k) ones from the same eBay seller as when I crashed my headlight broke and the bulb exploded..

There advantage is they are much brighter and you get better visibility, the downside is that they arent "legal" to use in the reflector headlights and you could risk a yellow sticker or the occasional oncoming high beam.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Graham wrote:...or the occasional oncoming high beam.

yes.... From drivers like SIR-VRX and myself who can't stand the glare and wash of extra bright, blue light that is not being focused correctly.... It'd worse than a person on high beam from a low beam headlight.

Mineon speak....
Sorry, but I'm like the others and can't stand it. Not so much for the illegal aspect but for how it effects the other road users... and considering that you can get normal, legal halogen lamps that burn at the same colour temp and do just about the same job

The colour temp (6000k) is not a temperature output of the lamp but a reference to the colour it produces.... Anything above 5000 kelvins moves away from a white light towards a blue light output and in fact has less
physical light output (lumens) than a lower colour temp... Therefore it is not actually brighter at all.

Please, please spend the time to read the article posted as a sticky in this lighting forum. It will answer all your questions and explain the misconceptions of HIDs
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=193
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.

Tarq's Paintshop

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Why don't people complain about people running around with FOG lights on during the day then... because technically that is illegal too..!?

Have you noticed car companies are putting DRL LED lights on cars now (as well has having fog lamps) for that exact reason.

I have seen a lot of Lancer drivers (myself included) running around on Fog lamps....

I reckon that pizzes off people too..

Let's not judge others, lest be judged ourselves !! (says with a Charlton Heston drawl, whilst stepping off my soap-box).

Peace-out

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

I have had a whinge on this forum (and others) about "wanker lights" being on all the time.

I never drive with mine on in clear conditions, as per the law I only use them for fog or heavy rain to improve vision, especially in my area as it's classed as rural, no street lighting most of the time.

I have occasionally turned them on on a cruise, to show off for photos etc, but I don't drive constantly with them on.

Return to “Lighting”