***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Shift Light Wiring Question.

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

simo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Shift Light Wiring Question.

Postby simo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can hep me.

In my previous lancer (04 CH) I had a Gizzmo Dual Stage Shift Light wired in. I'm in the process of installing the same shift light into my CJ however I have stumbled across a hurdle.

It's a simple 3 wire set up: Power, Earth and Signal. The signal wire is normally connected to the tacho signal wire, however I've discovered the CJ doesn't really have a tacho signal wire due to the CANBUS wiring system. Once I discovered this I emailed Gizzmo Electronics to confirm weather the signal can be taken from a coil pack and they confirmed it could, this leads me to the problem.....

I'm not sure which wire to tap into off the coil pack? There is 3 wires that go into each coil pack: A wire from the ECM, a wire to the fuse box and an earth wire.

I'm leaning towards the earth wire as its common to all 4 coil packs but again i'm not really sure lol.

Can anyone that has some knowledge in this help? lol

PS: Below is a diagram of the wiring of coil pack 1 and 2.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:25 pm

In me experience from installing a tacho on older cars without tacho signals, we went to the negative terminal of the coil pack. But that was when cars only had 1 coil pack.

I'd just try it on the negative,it shouldn't hurt to try. :)

simo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby simo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Oh yeah? I'd been leaning towards the negative aswell, mainly because it's connected thru all of the coil packs, out of the 3 wires thats the only one thats common between them all. One could only think that it would still be similar to when there was only 1 coil pack lol.

Haha, only thing with just trying is if its wrong then I have to patch up a wire that I have just tapped in to lol

Thinkin I Might email Gizzmo Electronics again and see what they say aswell.

tmr_colt
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby tmr_colt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Did you end up trying this mate? I'm interested to see what the result is.

The ECU bias' the transistor(s) pictured.

That switches an earth path for the low voltage side of the coil pack (transformer).

The diode is a blocking diode to stop any of the large voltage from the coil pack returning anywhere near the rest of the system & forces discharge through the spark plug.

It might work mate, purely at a guess (please let me know if I'm off here) there'll be 12V running through from the ECU to earth (via that transistor).

Give it a crack and let me know!

simo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby simo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22 pm

I haven't tried it as yet mate, weather has been to crap to be outside working on the car lol

However, I did send Gizzmo Electronics and email regarding the signal wire and weather it could be connected to the negative wire on the coils and they confirmed that it is the wire to connect it to.

Seems you have more of an understanding of that electrical diagram than me though lol, the negative wire seems to make sense hey.

Once I get around to doing this I'll post up a DIY for everyone to see

Dutton
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Dutton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm

Im leaning towards a wall...... Ahhh the comfort :P

I would say the negative.... it would be the same wire you would hook a timing light upto.... normaly a loop on most cars... i will have a look when my missus comes home with my lancer..... our lancer...

Dutt's

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Has there been any advancement on this? I am currently trying to find a tach signal as well for a Autometer DPSS shift light system.Any help would be appreciated.

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 pm

*Bump

Return to “Electrical”