***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Scratching driver's window

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Scratching driver's window

Postby exaltd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:11 am

Hi guys,

I don't know about you all, but lately i've been noticing minor scratching going on in my driver's side window on the glass or the tinted windows. I have to wonder what is doing that, coz all the other windows don't scratch.

Today i found this massive scratch that was divided into 2 parts (the very top and the very bottom of the window), and it's really visible anywhere. I checked the window channel for any stones or sediments and even cleaned it out, but nothing seems to have been there.

In case you are wondering, there's no obvious sound of scratching either, so it comes as a surprise to me as well, how bad the scratch is.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? ANd how can i solve the problem?

Could it be the window rubbing against the channel or a fault in the dealer's window tinting? Or should i just go to check it at the dealer?

Thanks all!

-EXALTD-

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:43 am

The other windows will scratch, but you might no use them enough to scratch them yet.

If you have read previously, there are big issues with the scratching of tint in all CJs.

Take it back to the dealer and they should get it retinted, and felt put over the window strips that cause the problem.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:58 am

Hehe,

Sorry Sir-VRX, haven't been on the forum that long :) so didn't read a previous post about it.

Thanks for the advice :). SHouldn't cost me a thing to get it replaced at the dealer, should it?

-EXALTD-

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 am

Sounds like the metal part of the seat belt might be hitting the window when you take it off. I don't think the channel would cause this if it is deep enough to scratch the window, also this would create a straight up and down scratch. What direction are the scratches?

You might notice some scratches around the pillar where the metal part hits it when resting between the seat and the outside of the car.

I have found that magic sponge can help reduce this scratching.

If that is what it is I wouldn’t be surprised if the dealer says it’s just normal wear and tear.

Let us know what the dealer says.
RALLI//////ART

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:16 am

It's a straight down scratch, so i reckon it's not the seat belt's fault.

Will keep u guys informed.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:07 am

The scratch sounds bad :(

I haven't had any scratches in my tint yet, but as it was fitted by the dealer they said if anything goes wrong they will replace it.

I think most professionally tinted cars have some sort of warranty aswell.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Dealer update:

Went to the dealer today, he looked at it, and started cleaning the window channel. He told me there could be just dirt buildup in the channel. I was laughing because he found no dirt on there, and was bewildered by what was causing the scratching. He then proceeded to say that it was uncommon for scratches to appear in the window tint, so he checked the outside of the window. No result.

He then wound down and wound up the window and then checked the inside to see if it was a scratch on the inside and to see if there were any noises, no noises but the scratch was on the inside.

Finally, after 10 minutes of inspection, he said, i think we have to book you in to remove the door panel to see what's going on, and also replace the window tint.

I swear sometimes the dealers don't have a clue about what they are doing. :P I take care of my car too much (i wash it very often, and also clean the window channels and interior often) for it to be any dirty channels.

Going in on Thursday. Let's see what they find.

-EXALTD-

vi93r
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby vi93r » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:14 pm

When i bought mine i was told by the dealer that mitsubishi had cheaped out in some cases, certain build dates required new rollers if the windows were tinted (supposedly costs them $50 per door for new roller) and if they weren't replaced it would scratch the tint. How true this is im not sure.
My Rides Mod Thread
CCJ Premium Member #0100.

Loki
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Loki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:19 pm

vi93r wrote:When i bought mine i was told by the dealer that mitsubishi had cheaped out in some cases, certain build dates required new rollers if the windows were tinted (supposedly costs them $50 per door for new roller) and if they weren't replaced it would scratch the tint. How true this is im not sure.

It's not rollers, it's the seal on the top of the door which contacts the windows. I spoke to where you bought your car too initially and they told me also of the $50 upgrades to stop the tint scratching.

You only tint the front two windows on a VRX so it's not overly expensive.
You know that you have really got to someone when they invest personal time into tracking you down all over the internet.

You know who you are :)

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:51 pm

Surprised the didn't put moleskin on.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:19 am

Final Update:

Well, got it back from the dealer today. They replaced it free of charge, after doing an inspection on the inside of the door panels and window channel, couldn't find any fault at all. They assured me it would not happen again, so let's see.

It took them half a day. They actually drove the car to MotorOne to get it done, so I guess they didn't do any on-site checks.

Couple of downsides... was happy with the prompt and welcoming service, however some technician reset my service interval timing (and I didn't get the car serviced! :x ) Now I have to remember to get my car service in March :(. And the other downside is I gotta remember not to open or clean my window for the next 2-3 days so the tinting won't move.... so no open window cruising for me :(, lucky it's raining for the next few days.

Thanks all for the advice again, and feel free to keep commenting :).

-EXALTD-

Gone_Troppo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Gone_Troppo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:12 am

I'm really glad you got the issue sorted out. Hopefully my dealer will be just as helpful.

G_T

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:16 am

I really feel for u G_T... i read ur case, i hope all goes well :)

jamez707
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby jamez707 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:54 am

i had the problem with the top of the tint scathching and mitsi retinted for me but it is starting to happen again

back to mitsi soon
Red Tail Light Brigade Member #3 - ClubCJ Lifetime Member #007
JAMEZ THE TAGMASTER

Return to “Exterior”