***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

*CLOSED* LANCER New Style L.E.D. Tail Lights

For all ClubCJ Members.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Sorry for skipping alot of posts but are there any shots of the indicators lit up?

I'm tossing up between smoked and chrome. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards smoked because I'm a smoked kindof guy (I think).

Good job with organising this.

ps. can someone explain to me what this fuse/resistor issue is and how easy it is for us to DIY fix? Sounds cheap enough to fix though :)

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Basically, LEDs draw much less power than standard globes.

The issue with this is that ECU in our cars detect when a bulb is out and alerts in certain ways. Due to the lower voltage of the LEDs the ECU thinks that the globe is blown.

The resistor will help in reporting back to the ECU so that there are no error messages.

I am not an expert, but this is the reason I believe :)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 pm

JaCe wrote:Sorry for skipping alot of posts but are there any shots of the indicators lit up?

I'm tossing up between smoked and chrome. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards smoked because I'm a smoked kindof guy (I think).

Good job with organising this.

ps. can someone explain to me what this fuse/resistor issue is and how easy it is for us to DIY fix? Sounds cheap enough to fix though :)

The pics are all on Page 1.

Smoked. I think they look better.

Thanks

It's simple to fix, I took pictures to show scott but haven't had the time to upload.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:46 pm

Thanks but I can't see the indicator light clearly.. all I'm trying to figure out is if it's white or yellow! I'm presuming yellow but can't take anything for granted.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:49 pm

It has a Amber globe, therefore an Amber colour :wink:

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 pm

The first buyer of these lamps is Scott_VRX_Fan. Tonight we met up at Doncaster Shopping town to sort out load resistors as his car seemed to act up with these lamps.

The symptoms are :
a) Inability to engage cruise control function
b) Service required warning

As I said before, there are no problems on my brother's VRX, and no problems on cjsig's ES. However, I've had problems in my Olympic Edition and Scott's VRX. It's a variable problem which I can't explain.

They are easily solved using a 180Ohm5W Wirewound resistor which is small enough to put through into the case itself. Just by attaching them between the red and black wire of the corner units of the tail lamps.

Here are some images:

Now to give more images of the Lamps. I have a set of Chromes on mine while Scott bought the smoke ones.

Here are some images:
Side by Side:

Chromes:

Smoked:

As you can clearly see, there is little or no difference!

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

Scott_VRX_Fan
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Scott_VRX_Fan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:04 pm

yep, all sorted now, thanks for that ofey.

might be worth while doing a little pdf on the resistor thing for those that have the issue.

i couldnt engage the cruise control but after putting them in, had no issue at all driving home :)

get on board people - to me, these lights look so much more natural and suited to the car than the current red rear tailights.

probably wouldnt matter if you had a red lancer, but any other color than red and i think they tail lights look odd.

these fix that problem in a jiffy :)
Mods Completed
ANZ Tazer 18" Wheels, Rear LED Tailights, GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit Suspension 1.2" Front 0.8" Rear

Mods To Be Completed
Front Bumper Upgrade

Mods in Development
Brembo Brakes, Rear Wing, Bonnet, Inbuilt Sat Nav

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:42 pm

How many resistors did you use? One each side?

Because II know that only 1 is needed, and it doesn't have to be in any particular circuit. IE it can be on the brake or the tail and it still fixes it :wink:

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:How many resistors did you use? One each side?

Because II know that only 1 is needed, and it doesn't have to be in any particular circuit. IE it can be on the brake or the tail and it still fixes it :wink:

Yeap. 1 on each side.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 pm

What I'm saying ofey, is only 1 resistor is needed. Don't even need 1 on each side. Just 1 on 1 side works.

Or where I mounted mine was connected to the 3rd brake light in the boot and that works. (I have decent LED globes installed)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:18 pm

On these you need 1 on each side. I tried just one side and I still have the problem.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Well the load isn't enough then. Mine are a 6ohm, but being a load resistor, they put a 50W load on the circuit, same as 2 globes.

And the 1 worked on Hotlanc's tail lights.

b3n87
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby b3n87 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 pm

hate to be a google cheat but i found this, sorta got me thinking abit read the special note

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Led-33226.htm

either you got lucky, or your tail lights are wired in series which i highly doubt but im no autoelectrician

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 pm

It's to do with how the ETACS ECU see the load. It must look at all the Tail and Brake circuits, and get it's reading from that. Weird I know, and I thought it wouldn't work, but it did.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Right, I too know about loading the circuit but your load resistors are > A$5.00 a piece? My solution is 80cents = 40cents X 2.

The resistor also fits snuggly in the casing of the tail lamp. If you pull the tail lamp out of its position of the car, you don't see any resistor as it sits snuggly in the housing of the tail lamp.

Ahhh and the question of heat. The resistor will only see "action" only when you're pressing your brakes. You don't ever continuously press them and even if you do: I've tried putting 12V across these resistors for 1hr continuously and you can still pick them up with your bear hands; let alone the fact that the you only depress your brakes for a minute or so tops at a time.

Return to “Group Buys Service”