***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Merlin Tuning - Adelaide Dec 12-13

Local SA & NT State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm not sure whether they'll actually give the actual codes or not. Due to timing I don't want to take them away from time working on the car. I'm not sure whether they're putting full focus on it or whether it's done between other jobs. Apparently there is a bit of a list they are working through. It might be that because it's a fault causing extreme rough idle, no power, stalls etc that it's setting off every other code as well. You would then think to start back at the initial recorded code and go from there, but if there is memory limit to the code data the initial code has probably already been deleted.

In any case, when you hear that it will probably take a few days it's not encouraging. They'd probably have essentially taken the engine apart and put it back together in that time, and it will turn out to be something stupid like the fuel pump.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:50 pm

As I said in the chat box, rang in the early afternoon whether it would be ready before Christmas as I need to travel. They said they'd check up on the progress, confirmed my mobile number, and never got back to me. I think the answer is tending towards 'no, it won't be ready by mid next week', and they are putting off telling me bad news.

Two full days of fault finding supposedly and no answers.

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Strange, even my $60 scan tool from MaxiScan can read Mitsi specific codes, even if it does not know exactly what they are.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:03 pm

merlin wrote:Strange, even my $60 scan tool from MaxiScan can read Mitsi specific codes, even if it does not know exactly what they are.

I would have thought RAA or Ultra Tune would have had a scanner that could, but it seems they don't. Maybe there are some special codes that only Mitsubishi can read on top of any other code? The other possibility is that the scan tool you have is quite new and can read things slightly older scanners can't?

I rang them up again this morning and spoke directly to the service guy. He seemed to think he'll have an answer by early next week even though they haven't found the cause of the issue yet. I suspect the reason for the confidence is because they're going to go to the 'old school' mechanic method of actually manually finding the problem, and I only suspect this because there are only so many fault codes they can check out before the list runs out. I guess the next report I'll make on this will be Monday unless I head from them beforehand.

Back to tuning, many people on here are probably aware that New Zealand often get different versions of cars than Australia, or get new versions sooner. You would think that in general the cars would be almost identical, this isn't the case and isn't the case with the Lancer!

Check out the power figures for the 2.0L in New Zealand:
http://www.mmnz.co.nz/lancer/options/specs/

Compared to the MY16 Lancer (and anything from 2012 MY13 onwards here):
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/veh ... ions/sedan

The New Zealand version has:
115 KW @ 6000 rpm vs 110 KW at 6000 rpm for Australia
201 nm @ 4250 rpm vs 197 nm @ 4200 rpm for Australia

I wonder whether the slight bump in power is just a different map (so if Merlinised the difference would be 'zero' apart from engine variation) or whether there are different components involved.

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 pm

I have had the smaller MaxiScan for about three years now, so it is not a new toy.
When it sees a DTC it cannot identify it just reports the number, which is fine by me.

Did you record the codes on your car?

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:23 pm

I never got to see the codes. RAA and Ultra Tune came up with no codes even when the engine was on. I was going to say running but that's a poor choice of words. Only the Mitsubishi service place I took it to (Goodwood Rd, Kings Park) could read the codes. They've had it two full working days when I rang up first thing this morning (so three days now), they still didn't know what's wrong with it. The service guy reckons it should be fixed by early next week though. I'm guessing they're probably doing proper diagnostics on it now rather than chasing phantom fault codes.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:56 pm

Car is fixed! Was the EGR valve. It must have been stuck open creating a massive vacuum leak, which is why it sounded like a rotary. The people at Windy Point and the car service people on the phone when I checked both said that.

Just about to head off now to pick it up :).

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:08 pm

What model do you have? I thought you has a NA lancer

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:23 pm

I do, a 2013 MY14 Lancer ES. Pretty much all cars have EGR valves, it's an emissions thing.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Has anyone else ever had a faulty EGR valve? My guess is that it got stuck open with the higher revs coming down that hill. Might run Nulon Total Fuel System Cleaner in it when I do highway driving next week. If the EGR valve was stuck due to carbonisation, it probably would be beneficial.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Did you get a P0403 or P0401 error code? You could probably fix the issue yourself to save money. I've had to fix a mates EGR valve before not on a Lancer though.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:40 pm

never seen a no start condition based on EGR fault or stall.

all it does is attempt to re-circulate some exhaust gases back.
you will however see an emissions related CEL like swerve mentioned along with bad fuel economy along with maybe rough idle.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Try removing it and cleaning any carbon deposits off with a wire brush. Don't use any solvents, though. As well as flipping the gasket over and ensuring a tight seal

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Luckily it is still under warranty, so it was fixed under warranty. It was with them for four whole days though, it would have been a killer with labour if I had to pay it out of pocket.

I'm not sure what codes came up, only that the RAA nor Ultra Tune could read any fault codes, and Mitsubishi had a whole heap on their tool.

I believe what had happened is the valve got stuck in the open position, so it was causing a massive vacuum leak. It sounded like a cross between a rotary and a 1960's big block. Looking back on it I wish I recorded it, it actually sounded pretty cool. It was barely driveable though and was only able to be moved short distances.

It kinda sounded like this but slightly deeper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJREpZNNLtY

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:13 am

That'll do it, when the EGR valve is stuck open, it will lead to a mad vacuum leak which then causes inefficient combustion, rough idling and even stalling. Mainly because the open EGR valve causes exhaust fumes to flood the combustion chamber and the engine can't combust on the exhaust C02. To check for a stuck open EGR valve, idle the car and check he plunger shaft to see if it is stick open. 

Return to “South Australia & Northern Territory”