***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

warranty and car issues HHHEELLLPP?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

warranty and car issues HHHEELLLPP?

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 pm

okay i bought my 2011 sx lancer in January. in march i was puffing out white/blue smoke from my exhaust when starting and accelerating also was losing a fair bit of oil called the dealer i got it from (a Honda dealer in Melbourne 3 hours from where i live) because i had 3month or 5000k warranty they said they thought it was piston rings. (in another forum i explain that they told me that the oil was too thin)they said to bring it down and they will lend me a car until mine was done. they sent it to a Mitsubishi dealer down there (which annoyed me because there is one in the town i live in). i got it back and i must have been so excited to get my car back that i misread the receipt because i thought they did the pistons, but they did the spark plugs so fast forward to now i park my car in my steep driveway so i often forget to check my oil and i thought the little bit of smoke that was coming from my exhaust was just condensation (i know stupid) but Saturday night my check oil light flashed and of coarse i checked and there was barely anything in there. put new oil in it (10w30) what my local dealer recommended. and i just tried to go see if the dealer was open being a public holiday and i work every day when they're open and came onto the on ramp to the highway and my car struggled to change gears and kept losing revs and of coarse puffing smoke out like a dragon. so i don't know what to do should i call the Honda dealer and explain that they didn't fix the original issue (being now its 5 months and i've done about 8000km) or go straight to Mitsubishi (my cars almost at 100000km and warranties until 2017) also i bought it second hand and it was an old business car that was privately serviced does that void warranty?
THANKYOU for reading my novel.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Weow, sounds like you have yourself quiet the issue,

I would take it back to who you bought it from and demand they fix it, if they haven't had it fixed properly then chances are it's on them, but I do wish you luck, some dealerships can be real asses about the situation,

Another thing you could probably do is join the ClubCJ Vic group on Facebook and leave a post there, the guys in that group are incredibly helpful and a few of them work at a Mitsubishi dealership (for memory) and see what advice can be given, :)

Best of luck fixing!
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:57 pm

thank you! i just cant seem to get away from bad luck i bought my lancer because i had a vs commodore that was constantly having issues :(

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:36 pm

I agree, contact the dealer and Mitsubishi to see where you stand. If they determined it was a rings issue and didn't fix it when they should have it's their problem.

I much say it sounds like its has a hard life with less than 100k on the clock you shouldn't be having issues like blowing smoke and using oil. I have a CC coupe with 150k since a rebuild (whole other issue) and even though it needs a new head gasket it's not burning or using oil, (apart from a massive leak).
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:46 pm

yeah i thought it would have generally been looked after as it was a business car. and its in great condition with everything else. i probably accelerate a little harder than the average person because im constantly rushing between jobs but not brutal race track style accelerating.

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 pm

i think i got denied entry to the closed group... cant find the page.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:25 pm

If it's the closed group that's it :) just keep trying, they are kinda particular about who joins etc

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:39 pm

i cant find the page at all anymore.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:57 pm

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:46 pm

that was weird that link just went straight to my newsfeed... anyway its all good im in the nsw one now thanks alot :)

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 pm

so update:

called Honda they asked me to take it to Melbourne and i said i didn't feel comfortable as i lost revs when trying to enter the highway so they said to take it to my local Mitsubishi and if they cant help to call back.
so i called Mitsubishi and im booked in for Tuesday but they said they cant actually say its covered under warranty until they find out what is wrong.. (this is where i think i shouldn't have to pay because at the other dealer in April they should have fixed this exact issue, but instead only serviced it and told me i was using to thin of oil) so i mentioned that the service book hadn't been stamped and i wanted to know if its still covered anyway. the lady said it may void the warranty but if i cant find records it may be all good. so i called the guys that are on the sticker in my windscreen and they said they cant share the information as i am not the one who was bringing it in. so i call Honda to see if they can get me into contact with her and they turned around and said that they sent it to mitsi (when i had the issue in April) to get serviced to validate my warranty.. BUT they haven't stamped anything in the warranty book.

anyway they guy from Honda called back and started telling me that when a car gets serviced and what not the engine will burn a little bit oil and then asked if i had topped it up i said yes and he said that's your problem and i said i topped it up with what was recommended to me from mitsi because it was on the low mark and he said that the engine would burn that much fresh oil... i am so angry that he put the blame on me. if its losing 6 liters of oil in 3.5 months there is something very wrong.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:09 am

oh dear.
In normal operating environments and conditions Lancers do not consume oil. at all.

So your problem it either leaks onto the ground or it goes into the combustion chamber and gets burnt.
Seeing as you have seen smoke then it is definitely going into the combustion chamber.

It also looks like you have bought the car second hand and they may have sold you a lemon.
It looks like they tried to mask the oil burning issue buy using a thick oil and probably full mineral too.
when you switched to a thin oil (5w30) or even to a fully synthetic which is what Mitsubishi recommends all the sudden you have leaks. because the thin oil is able to work its way past the degraded components (rings\seals etc)

If you leave this issue unaddressed for quite a long period of time you will also damage the catalytic converter too and fail any emissions test your state may have.

You may want to look up what rights you have under consumer laws and start quoting those to the dealer or investigate any litigation action you may be able to take

without actually seeing the internals of the engine you may end up down a slippery slope with one thing after another.
the 4B11 has very precise tolerances which must be adhered too for correct operation and longevity of the engine. and i would strongly recommend genuine Mitsubishi parts for replacement and reconditioning of these engines.

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Yeah that make more sense than "your oil is too thin" I hate being a girl and getting told bull shit stories. I done automotive for a year and my dad is a diesel mechanic. I owned a commodore that was actually leaking oil from the engine and it was losing way less oil than my baby. It's so frustrating. I'll see what happens at mitsi on Tuesday it may be covered under warranty with no hassles and if it isn't I'm not paying for it because it was under warranty the first time it got "fixed" I'll send the bill to Honda.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:37 pm

I agree Lancers don't use oil unless there is an issue, either a leak or rings. My old Lancer only started using oil when it was leaking it out the head gasket, and running down the side. But even then/now it's not burning oil, its not mixing with the water.

Unexplained oil usage is never a good sign, hope it's covered under a warranty. I was quoted $1600 to get my old Lancer up and running without leaving an oil slick every where you go. Decided to give it a crack myself in the coming months.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sirlancerlot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sirlancerlot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:12 pm

new update:
local mitsi have been a massive help!!
they looked over my car on Tuesday and gave it back to do an oil consumption test and took it back on Thursday within 50km i lost 100ml of oil and they have returned the car for me to check every day and if it loses an excessive to take it back straight away or until a 1000km.
they also are completely on my side and are going to try to get mitsi to pay for this issue..
also when they checked on the misti system there was no service history through mitsi so when the guy from honda told me he serviced my car to validate warranty through mitsi he was basically lying.

Return to “General Talk”