Postby Cr4ggles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Real first name: Craig

Model: ES Sportback MY10

Colour: White

General interests: Guitars, Amps & Gear

Current mods: n/a

Planned mods: CIA, Catback, 18" rims

How you found out about ClubCJ: Google

Hi guys, new member here. About to pull the trigger on a MY10 hatch I found on Gumtree. The seller works at a garage so I was gonna get him to do some mods on the car upon purchase and work the extras into a little package for me. I don't want to spend more than about a grand on upgrades, so I might have to go bit by bit.

Pretty much every review or comment I've read about the cj lancer is that it suffers from bad cabin noise, from both the tyres and the CVT. So as a first measure I'm planning on changing out the stock tyres and putting an exhaust on it to give it a bit of a better noise.

I was looking into18" rims. From what I can tell from other posts on this forum, Kumho KU31 is a good basic tyre that'll cut down on road noise, but as yet I'm not sure on what kind of alloys to get. I'm quite into the black/red pinstripe look, but not the silver (not with a white car, anyway). Any suggestions?

As for the exhaust, I was considering either an axleback or catback. I'm definitely not into the mega ricer growl... I'd defo prefer something deep and understated, you might even say 'classy'? Any suggestions on this as well? Go custom for a quick axleback and get a better note, or splash out a bit more and get a brand-name one?

Further down the line I'd like to put in a CAI... K&N seem popular, and pretty affordable. But this won't be for a while.

Anyway that's where I'm at at the moment.

Love the forum, been getting heaps of great info off it, and like the general vibe. Nice community :)

Cheers, Craig

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:03 pm

welcome to CCJ :D :)
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:32 pm

Welcome to Club CJ! :D

turbogirl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby turbogirl » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Welcome Craig! We have a few Gold Coast members!

Our State Rep Alan/Megatron is probably the best to speak to re: exhaust and what your after and best fitment for the sportback if your chasing a bolt on.

Hopefully will meet you soon at an event or cruise!
turbogirl
Member's Liaison Officer
Executive Team

In debt and loving it

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:34 pm

(WTTC)
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Cr4ggles
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Cr4ggles » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks for the greetings guys :)

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 pm

:) 8) :welcome: :wink: :P
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 am

welcome buddy. If you just want something that sounds a little beefier... either change the rear muffler, and if not enough, change to a high flow cat also. :)

The KU31's are OK... not the greatest tire. They are quiet at the beginning but tend to get noisy later on. Plus I found their grip in the wet isn't that good either.

Good luck and keep the mods coming
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Cr4ggles
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Cr4ggles » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:30 am

el3ment wrote:welcome buddy. If you just want something that sounds a little beefier... either change the rear muffler, and if not enough, change to a high flow cat also. :) The KU31s are OK... not the greatest tire. They are quiet at the beginning but tend to get noisy later on. Plus I found their grip in the wet isnt that good either. Good luck and keep the mods coming

Hey el3ment. Nice sig!

Not sure if the New Members forum is where to continue this convo, so mods please reassign if necessary :p

But yeh, I was planning on the catback or axleback so i wouldn't run the risk of messing with the EPA ratings on the converter... I'm 100% keen on keeping everything as legal as possible. And cheap :O

As for the tires, I spent most of the afternoon trawling through all the relevant threads, and to be honest I haven't learned much. Too much info!

From what I can gather, I'm going to need approx. 18x8 with 35 offset. I'm not going to be thrashing it or doing track days. Just commuting up to Brisbane and back. So really anything quiet-ish on a highway and I'm happy :)

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:47 am

with tyres, spend a little more and buy some bridgestone RE002`s, very quiet and very grippy in the wet or dry, they often come on special too :)

so if your buying 18x8 rims the best size would be 235/40/38 to 45.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:18 am

Hey Craig - your offset is 46mm...

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Mitsubis ... 008%20-%20)/

(you'll have to cut & paste the link - CCJ ignores the bracketed part of the link for some reason...)

:-D
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Cr4ggles
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Cr4ggles » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am

Cool thanks Zaphod.

Going in today to pick it up. I think I'm gonna just go with an axleback exhaust custom made (cheaper than brand name, right?), then over to Jax for some rims. The seller gets wholesale prices there so hopefully will get a bargain :D

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”