***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Help with buying replacement hood for MY14 Lancer LX

Post Things You Are Wanting To Buy Or Trade.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MyEducation
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Help with buying replacement hood for MY14 Lancer LX

Postby MyEducation » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:52 pm

So I'm looking to buy a hood for lancer as in the post link below mine has been damaged, but have no where to start.
1.What I'm trying to work out so far is whether or not an MY08-MY13 bonnet (ES/LX) would fit my MY14 Lancer LX (basically same as ES but with some shiny chrome bits)
2.Will any model lancer hood fit my lancer? eg. an Evo or Ralliart hood etc.
3.What should i get? a)A CF hood b)regular hood
If b) anyone know where i can find wreckers or a regular hood?

Sorry bout the questions but have no idea where to start

[Dent pictures inside this thread]
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=15669&highlight=
Edit: Should i try get the dent fixed? was quoted 400 to do it, and they wern't even sure they could due to the awkard position

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:11 pm

All the NA hoods are the same.
they are about 800$ RRP from Mitsubishi.

You can get a Ralliart hood. however the base hood is still around 900$ and it is a restricted item you will need to provide a ralliart or evo X VIN to the spare parts dept.
The fun does not stop there. you need to get the hood vents which are about 200 each. and there is 3 of them.
then there is all the metal clips and heat shields underneath the bonnet so add another 100-200$.

Then painting if you want it any other colour than white.

There is a good thread by Ofey illustrating whats involved to upgrade to ralliart bits.

Getting a aftermarket non OEM hood is the cheapest option but you really need to make sure that it is all ADR approved and compliant.

I have a small gash from a dog paw on mine. I opted for the touch up paint and cry every time i see it method of fix.

MyEducation
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyEducation » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:HI Victor, All the bonnets are the same shape and measurements across the board and across all years for all the CJs. So you are able to fit an RA/Evo bonnet on your car. You can get an aftermarket CF one but it isnt legal and is defectable (any material except metal is). So I would recommend getting a genuine aluminium Evo/RA bonnet or replacing yours with any NA model regular steel bonnet. The vented bonnets do come up from time to time, or you can look into carmate, they do a metal replica of the Evo/RA bonnet and are in NSW I think. Best bet is to just look around ebay and gumtree really or ring local wreckers in you area and ask if they have any CJs and if the bonnets are available and intact. Another option is, I know Ash (AshleyMorris) recently replaced her white steel bonnet with a genuine vented one so she may be willing to get rid of her original one however she is in Cairns so you might need to check out freight costs if that is the case. Cheapest courier co to use is E-Go couriers. Hope that helps!

Ahh thanks a bunch, helps out a lot! Will try get into contact with her as well. The local wreckers don't really say too much, mostly say to go in and have a look which costs a bit

himynameisdaniel wrote:All the NA hoods are the same. they are about 800$ RRP from Mitsubishi. You can get a Ralliart hood. however the base hood is still around 900$ and it is a restricted item you will need to provide a ralliart or evo X VIN to the spare parts dept. The fun does not stop there. you need to get the hood vents which are about 200 each. and there is 3 of them. then there is all the metal clips and heat shields underneath the bonnet so add another 100-200$. Then painting if you want it any other colour than white. There is a good thread by Ofey illustrating whats involved to upgrade to ralliart bits. Getting a aftermarket non OEM hood is the cheapest option but you really need to make sure that it is all ADR approved and compliant. I have a small gash from a dog paw on mine. I opted for the touch up paint and cry every time i see it method of fix.

I see, thanks for the insight into that, think i might just get a regular one then. And I also know how you feel, my old car was damaged by some guy who couldn't parallel park and i touched that up and everytime i looked at it i felt like buying a new bumper haha

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Body Kits Kingdom do a steel replica:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane ... 1037315051

It comes with everything. I've dealt with Paul a few times now, and going back next saturday for a diffuser pre-fit (and hopefully a splitter...), he's a nice guy.

:-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:57 pm

to add further.

OEM NA bonnet = steel
OEM RA bonnet = aluminum

the difference in weight is quite considerable.

ashleymorris
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ashleymorris » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 pm

I did just replace my boring one with an Evo one, just before Christmas :P
One of Tim's pal's had a wrecked one and he shipped it from Melbourne up to me. It was red from stock so I got it painted - luckily an old friend from school is a panel beater and he got his boss to do a really cheap cash job. I'm talking $200 cheap, when I was quoted $600 for painting the top and underneath from another panel beater friend.

It also didn't come with the 2 smaller vents, so Tim found a guy on EvoOz who upgraded his to CF ones recently, and got those small vents for me ($150 for genuine) Then it cost me another $80 cash to have all 3 painted pink.

When I was looking at upgrading my bonnet I looked at the BKK one, the Carmate one and anything I could find on Gumtree/eBay. But I wasn't going to risk buying a CF one and having something go wrong with my luck.

I do still have my stock white bonnet sitting in a cardboard box in my garage, but yeah I live in Cairns and I'm not sure where you are sooo freight could be a big thing haha

My advice is to shop around (and think about whether the money to be spent is worth it) - even before my friend got his boss down on the cash job, I rang about 5 or 6 different paint shops in my area to get a rough price.

BKK has a steel one for $880 + postage, but Carmate have a metal one for $649 + postage. Obviously that depends where you are located, not including paint costs, fitting costs (unless you have the tools to do it), etc.

MyEducation
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyEducation » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks all for the insight into bonnets and pricing ! By the sound of it i think I might just leave the small dent there and keep the money for a nice set of rims which might look nicer instead haha
But damn them vented bonnets look hella sexy ><, would definitely be the next thing on my list

TheVeeMachine
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheVeeMachine » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 am

mephisto69 wrote:Im not going to mention the cars that have FG bodies and panels as OEM and are still registrable.

One thing to keep in mind is that the rules for parts on a car from factory are waaay different to those for modifications. E.g. variable exhausts on an Aston Martin Vantage, 90+dB sound intensity on a Lamborghini Gallardo are legal when stock, but will attract a defect if aftermarket on say, a Lancer.

Want to hear something silly? The EPA car exhaust limit is 90dB. If a person owns a car that produces 95dB with a stock exhaust, it's all good and legal. From what I've read, if they put on an aftermarket exhaust that reduces that to 91dB, it's defective :roll:

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:13 am

TheVeeMachine wrote: Want to hear something silly? The EPA car exhaust limit is 90dB. If a person owns a car that produces 95dB with a stock exhaust, its all good and legal. From what Ive read, if they put on an aftermarket exhaust that reduces that to 91dB, its defective :roll:

Yep, that'd be right!

I think a lot depends on what mood the officer who's booking you is in - I know a couple of Police who think the Highway Patrol guys are all @ssholes...

*mod*
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

MyEducation
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MyEducation » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:16 pm

mephisto69 wrote:When it comes to bonnets why does everyone say that if it isnt metal its defectible? Ive posted this before and it comes straight off the Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14, NATIONAL CODE OF PRACTICE for LIGHT VEHICLE CONSTRUCTION and MODIFICATION 2.7 2.7.1 FIBREGLASS Strength and Thickness The thickness, of non-intrusion panels, with gel coat removed, must be at least 3.5mm. Bonnets and guards are examples of non-intrusion panels. The strength and thickness of structural components such as floorpans and bodies that incorporate seatbelt anchorages, door hinges and latches etc., must be certified by a signatory. The fixings for replacement fibreglass panels should have the same positions and must have at least the same strength as the fixings used for the original panels. A combination of steel and neoprene washers of a minimum 20mm diameter should be used with all fixings. Seat and seatbelt anchorages, door hinges and latches must only be affixed to fibreglass panels, floorpans or bodies that have been reinforced to take the loads such components are capable of generating both in normal use and in a crash. Please note that Bonnets are identified as non intrusion panels and therefore are acceptable as fibreglass replacements. The only thing I have not been able to determine is the legality of CF panels. However, being as they are constructed in a similar fashion as FG then it would seem that they are acceptable. A simple asking of the supplier of CF panels to provide the relevant ADR or NCOP article in regards to legality would be a reasonable request. If these items were not legal for road use then companies supplying them would be required by law to inform buyers that they are for track use only. The same way some coil overs, exhausts, brakes, tyres and other suspension items are labeled for track use only. Selling track use only items for road use would leave companies open for civil prosecution from the purchaser, third parties and government agencies. Not to mention prosecution by relevant State Authorities and business trading laws. If FG and CF is illegal to fit as a bonnet then the same should be said for FG and CF boot lids and front ends. They should all be metal or plastic respectively using this example. Im not going to mention the cars that have FG bodies and panels as OEM and are still registrable. Sorry to be so long winded in your thread Victor but an FG bonnet may be an option. Just check with the seller on its legality and only by from a reputable company never private. I say never private because you wont know how it has been treated and if it is still structurally sound.

Ah i see thanks John, no need to apologize, the more information the better haha. I havn't come accross much fibreglass bonnets so far (or atleast where i've looked online). But would consider it if not defectable.

mephisto69 wrote: Im not going to mention the cars that have FG bodies and panels as OEM and are still registrable..

As said above by someone else, the rules against OEM is very lenient, basically anything stock for your car will fly even if they break certain rules just like what Vivek said, so don't think that'll go with the officers :(

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Looks like your question has been answered :).

$400 to fix all that? Ridiculous. But i'm assuming that's to buff it up and repaint it again. Mate, might as well go for the RA bonnet. make sure it's not CF :)
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:12 pm

Return to “Buying & Trading”