***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Tow Bars

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

QTR15Y
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Tow Bars

Postby QTR15Y » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey guys been a long time since ive posted on here, but just wondering been looking at getting a tow bar for my car, wont be towing much just camping stuff more than anything, but I was wondering where one of the cheapest places to go is that is still decent, I also DO NOT want to cut into my bumper, as i want to take the arm off while ever i am not towing....any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Id rather push my Mitsu than drive a ford or holden!

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Heya
I got a tow bar put on my car about a year ago. Only cost me around $300. And that's for the tow bar and installation. However they did have to cut a small bit of the bumper off from the underneath, but its not noticeable at all.
There are some people who have modified their tow bars so they go down and under the bumper. Best bet is to find a few towbar places and get some quotes.
"A city without trees isn't fit for a dog!" Trees For Life

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Also food for thought...I can take my tow bar off but I prefer to keep it on in case I get rear ended. My cars been hit at least 2 times from rear, only minor scratches and a small crack in rear bumper, but at least I know tow bar will now offer me protection :) and do more damage to who ever hits me now ;)

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:12 pm

the most expensive bit will be the wiring harness , its more expensive than the tow bar it self
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

QTR15Y
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QTR15Y » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

lol yeah would be good seeing holes in bumpers or people kick their legs on it after they have just let their trolley hit it :( I have scratches and paint peeling everywhere, unfortunately people around here have no brains it seems :/ my biggest thing for wanting to take it off is that I have a 5yr old who does not watch where he runs lol Yeah i might have a look at a few places around here......we arent in a position to get a bigger car, the other half has a 2002 Lancer and we thought we could trade it in but just cant do it, so other choice is tow bar.....and well my lancer is more comfortable lol

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm

The shop I got my tow bar from sells rubber surrounds that slip over the end so it doesn't hurt as much when u smash ur leg on it :)

QTR15Y
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby QTR15Y » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Hmmmm now the brain is ticking lmao

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm

when i got quoted to put a tow bar on my CJ Mitsu guys said there is no need to cut a hole in the bar as the kit attaches to the underside main frame of the car and the tow ball and arm comes up from underneath without cutting the holes. :-)

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 am

Other option if your only carrying light stuff is roof racks and a basket. Costs about the same, completely reversible, and can be adapted to carry bikes, canoes ect.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

Return to “Exterior”