***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

own servicing - void warranty?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

m4tto
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

own servicing - void warranty?

Postby m4tto » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:34 pm

This may have been answered before but i can't find anything on it. Does anyone know what mitsubishi are like with servicing. If you service your own car instead of taking it to a mits dealer will that void the warranty? i'm a qualified mechanic just changed career.

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes it will void your warranty. There has been lots of talk of this with quite a bit of umming and ahhhing.
It all comes down to what servicing you are doing. You can do simple things like changing your oil filter but for the log book service it states in the warranty that it must be done by Mitsis.
Mitsubishi can actually check up on where you can has been serviced to prove that it hasnt been serviced by a Mitsi dealer. Its got to do with the computer side of things. When they service your they plug their computer it and it kinda like stamps your car. So if something was to happen and you needed to make a warranty claim they can plug their computer in and check to make sure.
"A city without trees isn't fit for a dog!" Trees For Life

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Just get a stamp made up with the name of a fake mechanic and use that to stamp the log book, the dealer won't know the difference.
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 pm

It most certainly does not have to serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer, and nowhere in the log book will it say this. Here is the warranty terms and conditions, where no such demand is made: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/upl ... -TC-v2.pdf

In fact, it is even legislated in the Competition and Consumer Act that manufacturers can't require you to have the vehicle serviced with them exclusively. So if Mitsubishi does this I guess they're going to jail.

The only thing that you will lose if you don't have it serviced with the dealer is the Roadside Assist.

As for doing your own servicing, qualified or not, I don't know. Best ring your local dealer or Mitsubishi to seek confirmation.

shadow-vex
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby shadow-vex » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:36 pm

I think u can do ur own servicing as long as ur replacement parts are genuine Mitsubishi parts, eg: oil filter has to be to the Mitsubishi one not an aftermarket one
Boost life scrambles the brain

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:28 pm

pretty sure you can do your own oil and filter changes providing that the filters a genuine Mitsubishi filters and the fluids you are using are correct for the application and either exceed or match the Mitsubishi requirement. however the car must be serviced by a Qualified and Working mechanic shop for each of the logbook services.

what this means is that if you want to change your oil at 7,500km instead of every 15,000km you can do every second oil change at home using suitable oil and the genuine filter.

this is what mitsubishi have informed me and another member from this forum
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

Return to “Maintenance”