***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2013 NSW Bushfires

Local NSW State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

smokie
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby smokie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 pm

This is an awesome article about a photographer hopped in with a crew one night.

WHEN Newcastle Herald photographer JONATHAN CARROLL pulled up at Doyalson North on Thursday night, fires were surging through Lake Munmorah.

He joined a crew of five Rural Fire Service volunteers who headed north to Catherine Hill Bay. Within minutes, Carroll thought he was going to die. Yet, as he explains, the team around him had other ideas:

WITHIN minutes of getting in the truck we were surrounded by walls of orange flames.

Someone yelled out ‘‘masks on’’ and they gave me a mask.

Then someone yelled ‘‘get your helmets on’’, then ‘‘get those blankets ready’’, then ‘‘get under those blankets’’ as the flames and embers shot across the highway.

I was petrified.

I thought I was going to die and was considering calling my wife and asking her to put my boys on the phone for one last time.

Then one of the team pointed to the bloke in the front passenger seat and said, ‘‘See this guy? I’d follow this guy into hell.’’

Another pulled out the fireman’s prayer before someone said, ‘‘Put that away, it’s an admission of defeat.’’

We arrived at the fire ground. They told me to stay close to them and the truck.

‘‘Right. We’re in front of the fire, but we are also surrounded by it, so we’re going to have to stop it,’’ one of them said.

I remained close by, stressed and panicked, then I noticed something.

They weren’t scared. They were calm. They were going about the job in a business-like fashion.

It rubbed off on me. I calmed down. I picked my camera up and started shooting as they fought the flames.

We got out of there around 11pm.Catherine Hill Bay was saved with only a few losses.

Earlier in the night one of the boys had said, ‘‘There’s been a few times when I’ve put my tail between my legs and kissed my ass goodbye, but tonight wasn’t one of them.’’

These guys at the RFS are on a different level to you and me.
25*C, window down with the iPod playing

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:18 am

What a awesome story Reed , And Yes the RFS are hero's alright :D

Just another incident that happened in our street yesterday ...... A big Part of the bush beside us was untouched by the fire which backs onto houses & this person who lives in one of the houses decided he wanted to have his part burnt so he has lit it up " In a total fire ban :roll: We ran up with buckets & buckets of water & he YELLS hey don't put it out I want my back part burnt WTH Had to stop ppl from wanting to kill this guy :twisted: Someone rang the firies which were in the area & got it out pretty quick .... I am yet to find out if he has been charged Lets hope so !
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 am

Doreen I am gobsmacked........I really don't know what is going on in the world when you get idiots doing stuff like that.I really hope he gets prosecuted to the full letter of the law. :shock: :shock:
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Agreed i am sure the firefighters would have got him

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Don't Know yet guys if this person was charged ?

Sven247
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Sven247 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks Mitch,
I don't live near these area's but I have close friends in Winmalee that I see often and they have been told to be prepared for the past 3-4 days now, so they have been cleaning their gutters and other crap that may get in the way, I hope for the rest of the members on this forum that they wont have to evacuate!
"Slaves Shall Serve"

"Honourary SA Member #2 "

Luke
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm alright guys, was stuck in school for 4 and a half ours on lockdown - (I go to St Columba's which was worst affected school atm)

Wasn't fun but I'm safe.
Thanks for looking out for us over here.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 pm

dreama wrote:Im alright guys, was stuck in school for 4 and a half ours on lockdown - (I go to St Columbas which was worst affected school atm) Wasnt fun but Im safe. Thanks for looking out for us over here.

Good to hear mate hows the family and is your home safe mate

smokie
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby smokie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:41 pm

Just read on Facebook that 40 tankers and pumpers have come from Victoria to help with the fires. It's great to see Australia unite to help each other out. If my pager goes off tomorrow, I don't care what work says... I'm heading into the smoke!
25*C, window down with the iPod playing

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 am

Chopa wrote:Just read on Facebook that 40 tankers and pumpers have come from Victoria to help with the fires. Its great to see Australia unite to help each other out. If my pager goes off tomorrow, I dont care what work says... Im heading into the smoke!

I can't believe how fast fire travels. I mean my mate and I had trouble making one in winter as a camp fire, then you get the massive fires which travels like wind!
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 am

Chopa wrote:Just read on Facebook that 40 tankers and pumpers have come from Victoria to help with the fires. Its great to see Australia unite to help each other out. If my pager goes off tomorrow, I dont care what work says... Im heading into the smoke!
just take care though mate :-).

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:26 am

take care everybody and pray for some quenching rain.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 am

stay safe everyone. Glad to hear you and family are safe Doreen.
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 am

Thumb's Up Reed *thumb* Take care if you are needed !

sleeper wrote:take care everybody and pray for some quenching rain.
.... Praying for the rain Steve *pray* & everyone's safety !

Cammo00 wrote:stay safe everyone. Glad to hear you and family are safe Doreen.
... Thank You Chris & we are all good here now :)

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:23 am

Thought I might mention this....

http://google.org/crisismap/australia
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Return to “New South Wales”