***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CVT Costs

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

CVT Costs

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 pm

Hey guys

The enquiries for my vehciles keep coming in. However one of them has asked me a question that I have no idea about and I'm sure it'll be an easy answer. This is his quote:

Please can you tell me how much it is to service the CVT trans or has it been done?

I told him that I've serviced the car already at 90,00kms and that the next
service will be 105,000km. His response was:

What about the Trans? I have a problem with the CVT. Cost Problems etc
Russell

Do you guys know what he's trying to ask?
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:12 pm

The CVT according to mitsu is services every 95,000 kms
They do a oil and filter change.

Things that Mitsubishi do not tell you is that they also remove metal shards from the sump plug and the washers.
As the belt is made from steel and there is a constant friction.
Which means that there is constant wear on the belt.

This considered a normal functionality of the transmission.

Mitsubishi have not indicated any wear items on the CVT and that any mechanical problem basically requires a new unit.
You may find a transmission shop who may be able to recondition your jatco JF011E by replacing certain components however the cost involved will be quite high. As it takes a fair amount of time to just take the thing out and put it back in.

I would strongly recommend not to play around with the electronics of the CVT. as if you loose or brick any of the TCU you will need to get your transmission re-calibrated by jatco specific tools which most Mitsubishi dealers do not have hence the reason to have it sent off.

For those interested its a 22 pin plug located on your CVT.

The Lancer is blessed by the fact that it has had strong sales in Australia which means there will be lots of parts floating around in wreckers.
I found a CVT from a VR with only 28,000 on the clock for only 900 bucks! Bargain in my opinion!

The CVT offered in the Lancer is quite superb given that it was released in early 2007. it features a steel belt system which can handle more torque and power than that of the plastic or rubber belt CVT's from Honda or Toyota.
It is a relatively low service item however the price for the CVT fluid is expensive (200-300$) however this will go down as more cars are CVT. And other CVT oil brands come onto the market, currently it is dominated by a select few that can meet the high standards.
It also features a torque converter to try and eliminate shudder or jerking which gives the driver a smoother ride at low speeds (which suits the city driving start\stop) this is a major feature that the majority of the Double Clutch Transmissions have issues with.
It also has excellent fuel economy compared to a conventional automatic or potentially a manual. * you would have to shift every gear perfectly every time oh and the manual has only 5 gears which means on the highway at 110km's your pulling what 2,5k RPM?
Oh and as far as "cost problems" go. Mitsubishi has offered the 10 year power-train warranty for a reason. to boost confidence in the car and the brand. they would not have picked this CVT unit if it would have a high mean time to failure rate.
it would be very uneconomical for mitsubishi to fix.

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:18 pm

nice write up Daniel , yeah on high way at 110 my manual pulls at 2300... the CVT transmission is great apart from the unavoidable mooooooing lol
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Wow Daniel! Thanks so much :D So informative.

But just for now, do I tell my customer the following:

It is a relatively low service item however the price for the CVT fluid is expensive (200-300$) however this will go down as more cars are CVT. And other CVT oil brands come onto the market, currently it is dominated by a select few that can meet the high standards.

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Have found the fuel consumption incredibly good for a 2.4L and transmission has been faultless so far (almost at 50000klms)... Plus when called upon it will spank almost any NA 4cyl off the mark!
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 pm

Most likely just wants to know more about CVTs and if you have had problems or if its in good nick etc and if he will be needing to do anything major to it. Obviously you dont want to buy a car, then have to do something with the transmission straight after
PRESENT: 2015 Audi S3

PAST:2009 Lancer ES called Lancee...

Garage: http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=947
I

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm not a salesman, I work in support and engineering however i would stick to the strengths of the product.
Perhaps ask him how many km's he will be doing?

i mean changing the oil and filer at 95,000 kms is fairly impressive service interval right?

Ive had the car for 3 years and only done 47k (brand new when i bought it)
Look sometimes modern technology sometimes comes at a bit of a price.
the CVT is quite cheap compared to any DCT transmission.
Maybe he has heard allot of media reports from the Volkswagen DCT issues.
And he is worried about it?

just reassure him that this a CVT transmission that is manufactured by Nissan and is used on both Nissan, Mitsubishi and even Daimler Chrysler.
Some of the major vehicles are as follows.

Nissan Murano
Nissan Elgrand
Nissan Teana
Nissan X-Trail
Mitsubishi Lancer (or Galant Fortis)
Mitsubishi Delica
Mitsubishi Outlander
Mitsubishi ASX
Suzuki Kazashi
Renault Koleos
Renault Megane
Jeep Compass
Jeep Patriot
Dodge Caliber

Actually now that I do some further searching you can get Penrite CVT 5 fluid for around 60-80 bucks for 4L
You will need around 6-7L
I believe it is just the Diaqueen brand which is liquid gold. (what Mitsubishi uses)

This was actually found all on the manufacturers website. Which i found ages ago when doing research on to crack the TCU.

(Edit: Added Dodge Caliber to the list)

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:48 am

Hey Daniel

I told the customer that it was $280-$300 as you said. So you've clearly answered my question. Thanks!

shinigami
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shinigami » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Apologize in advance I don't mean to Hijack this thread.

I have Arp 2013 Lancer Ex in UAE its GT 2.0 but Aus its VRX 2.4.

Zero KM to 24,000 60% is highway KM long routes. (My riding style on highway 120km to 140 km cruise control its GCC middle east weather temp outside while driving like 46 C to 47 C, in traffic very light foot i love to save fuel but i do some time push it hard even went to some times 190 km like 4 or 5 times for shout period over all in this 24,000km.

i been searching around and i come to know some recommend 40K , 50K and 60K for first service of CVT or most people said depends on drive style i agree on this TBH

Question : as per my riding style what do you recommend what KM i should go ahead with 30K to 50K range please , or i wait till service book recommends which is 60K , honestly i dont mind spending 220Us$ for CVT service as i do long runs i be relaxed (some might say oh go ahead its good if i can pay).

as they are alot of experts out there i would like your advice.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 am

shinigami wrote:Apologize in advance I dont mean to Hijack this thread. I have Arp 2013 Lancer Ex in UAE its GT 2.0 but Aus its VRX 2.4. Zero KM to 24,000 60% is highway KM long routes. (My riding style on highway 120km to 140 km cruise control its GCC middle east weather temp outside while driving like 46 C to 47 C, in traffic very light foot i love to save fuel but i do some time push it hard even went to some times 190 km like 4 or 5 times for shout period over all in this 24,000km. i been searching around and i come to know some recommend 40K , 50K and 60K for first service of CVT or most people said depends on drive style i agree on this TBH Question : as per my riding style what do you recommend what KM i should go ahead with 30K to 50K range please , or i wait till service book recommends which is 60K , honestly i dont mind spending 220Us$ for CVT service as i do long runs i be relaxed (some might say oh go ahead its good if i can pay). as they are alot of experts out there i would like your advice.

Your only supposed to deviate from what the service manual says IF; you are driving the car constantly in extreme conditions, so extreme heat, extreme cold or even extremely dusty. Other then that, you would just service it the normal times.

Ahh CVT... the cost seem to me Continuous... and variable.... Da Boom Tiss

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 am

I changed mine at 75,000 and it was burnt and black (not good) i would change it when ever it has a burnt smell to it.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 am

Get a manual Tom, alot less hassle and more fun to drive plus they are alot quieter too! :D

shinigami
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shinigami » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks all for your good time and advice, i will stick to the service time or change it like 5K km earlier.

Return to “Maintenance”