***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Paint Protection - Is it worth it?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Stealthmatt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Paint Protection - Is it worth it?

Postby Stealthmatt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 am

Paint protection... well I didn't get paint protection because I would have thought mitusbishi put some form of protection on their paint regardless otherwise you would have people claiming warranty for paint fade etc.

So is it really worth it? She said in (with leather seats) and the outside would cost close to $2000 rrp, but they can do a good deal for me and I rekon I could get it down to $1000 or there abouts maybe $1200?

But is it really worth it? i wash my car and I sometimes polish it once a year... (car is metallic red)

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 am

not worth it for the stuff the dealership sells you.

But opticoat is the best stuff you can get for your paint protection last 10y ears on new cars, cost about $500 for brand new cars.

Interior just get 5 cans of scotch guard and go crazy it works

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm

No.
Never is.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Not worth it. We got the x-Pack with the MY12 Lancer, and its the biggest waste of money. You still get the bottles of liquids you need to use to keep the coating on the car... so you might as well buy a good car cleaning liquid with nano-crap and have the same kind of protection for the fraction of the cost. If I knew better, I would have said no and just get the opti-coat done that Megatron mentioned.

Don't waist your money.
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

As above......not worth the money, the hours you spend applying a good polish to your car over it's life is relatively cheap compared to the price of paint protection.Plus a good polish always looks better :) :)
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

pana161
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby pana161 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 pm

I swear by it, but not Mitsu's product ... my car is almost 2 yrs old but looks new after every wash

check out Opticoat, comes with lifetime warranty if applied to a car under 1 year old but you need to have a yearly inspection ($55). If you miss the inspection, warranty is then void

http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/produc ... ction.html

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Paint protection from a car detailers or glorified car wash type place - may have some merits. "Paint protection" as sold from the dealer - definitely, without exception, not worth it. It is the dealer clawing back their profits that they lost to you through negotiations on the vehicle sales price.

If you truly care and are concerned about your paint finish, note that Mitsubishi owners commonly complain about the ease of stone chips in the paintwork. It seems to be thinner or less physically durable than other brands, so you might want to look at Opticoat as posted above or some other extra layers of genuine protection for your paint. Just not from the car dealer.

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:49 am

couldn't you get a coat or 2 of clear on it for 2000???

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 am

that paint protection is mostly a scheme
my parents bargained with mazda really well when the bought the car and got reverse sensors with the protection for 700 dollars
doesnt look like it does much at all and the bottles look like they are hand wash out of a hotel
as long as you wash your car and give it monthly or 2 month period of a nice detail including waxing (hand is always best) then your paint should be fine

Stay away from polishing too much as it does eat away your clear coat
Not saying don't, but just dont do it too often

As for interior +1 for scotchguard, i found out the hard way and had to steam clean my interior 3 times to get some stench out
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am

BZC-45S wrote:Paint protection from a car detailers or glorified car wash type place - may have some merits. Paint protection as sold from the dealer - definitely, without exception, not worth it. It is the dealer clawing back their profits that they lost to you through negotiations on the vehicle sales price. If you truly care and are concerned about your paint finish, note that Mitsubishi owners commonly complain about the ease of stone chips in the paintwork. It seems to be thinner or less physically durable than other brands, so you might want to look at Opticoat as posted above or some other extra layers of genuine protection for your paint. Just not from the car dealer.

+1 for complaints about paint chips
in japan they dont have many off road surfaces and their roads are a much better build quality then ours so they put thin paint on all their cars
my car is 4months old and has atleast 5-6 stone chips already
was it too much to ask for 2 more layers of base coat and clear
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731

ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)

-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:49 am

Id rather invest in a full clear wrap

jonno2012es
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby jonno2012es » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 am

Coming from someone that sells it as part of my sales process. Honestly I wouldn't buy it, in saying that I can see the benefits of the nano technology that Zupps has. It is a great product but I personally can't justify even the staff price.
Low 'N' Slow.

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Damir wrote:[quote:45176edeec=BZC-45S] +1 for complaints about paint chips in japan they dont have many off road surfaces and their roads are a much better build quality then ours so they put thin paint on all their cars my car is 4months old and has atleast 5-6 stone chips already was it too much to ask for 2 more layers of base coat and clear

Just a little heads up , If anyone is thinking of buying a brand new Lancer I read in a Mitsubishi add for new cars That the buyer could order a more better thicker coat of paint for $ 500 :shock: ... I think I would If I was buying Brand New at least it would be more protection 8)
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

Return to “Exterior”