***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RA Gearbox

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

talktomrgibson
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

RA Gearbox

Postby talktomrgibson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

hi guys, my RA has now done 80,000km purchased from Nundah Mitsubishi 2 years ago.

ever since 40,000 i have noticed a rattle in the gearbox when accelerating up a hill from standing start, and when it has to gear down for more power.

for the last 10,000km the engine light has shown up about 6-7 times but infrequently so i can't predict it. I took it back and they said it was a 'phantom' code so i should keep driving it. but if it comes up again they will take another look and lodge a (something) code for a gear box replacement.

I have complained to them about it four times now, and since that visit the engine light has shown up again along with the gear box symbol indicating 'service required'. Both lights do not stay on and turn off eventually.

it is currently in the shop and the rep is saying that they are going to take some data while driving it and send the results to Adelaide as they are the ones to decide if it should have a replacement gearbox fitted or not.

i kinda feel like the wool is being pulled over my eyes. I want the unit replaced, it is sloppy to drive and the revs pulse when on cruise control at 100kmph on completely straight, flat roads. do i have grounds to push harder for a replacement? i'm concerned they want to push me closer to the 90,000km service so i have to pay for them to replace fluids first.

any advice?

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

I think mitsubishi will do or say whatever they can to weseal they're way out of fixing anything.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm

is it an 09 ralliart ?

your fluid should be changed at 45,000 ks they have revised it , it used to be 105,000 ks
Last edited by whitenight on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Wow hello.
I've been in a similar situation. However mine got sorted out.

The 90,000K service includes a gearbox fluid and filter replacement. Which "may" sort out your problems.

I should warn you the 90K service is a major (expensive) one.

But the codes aren't normal. If you aren't happy with Nundah Mitsu then maybe you can try Eagers Mitsu in Newstead (breakfast creek rd). They replaced my gearbox under warranty.

Otherwise I can try to read the CEL codes with my tactrix and see what the ECU in your car says.

talktomrgibson
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby talktomrgibson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

thanks for the rokpapaziz, i'm imagining the 90,000k service is around $1,000??

i had a chat with my dad as well (i'm no good when it comes to playing hard ball) and he seems to think leave it with them today, and see how they go with the driving test. however unlikely it is, they MAY come back and say that they will replace it.

the frustrating thing is that i drive it every day, i KNOW there is a problem but they just say its a phantom code or something haha. At least the service guy has said 'we know there is a problem, we need to find out what it is'.

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm

talktomrgibson wrote:thanks for the rokpapaziz, im imagining the 90,000k service is around $1,000??

More like $1400

Eagers did the same with my car. "Leave the car here so it can be tested for a day"
I think that's dealer speak for "Find out if modded then if possible deny warranty claim"

But sounds like you have no mods and always serviced by the dealer so you should be fine.

talktomrgibson
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby talktomrgibson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

cool, yep nothing modded, everything is completely stock. if they say they cant find anything again i guess i'll just explain to them that there clearly is a problem, and its getting close to its warranty limit of 100,000kms so will ask what happens when we have the same problem after that?

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

OK now I gotta ask, just to compare my own experience.

1. Do you always drive in Normal/Auto mode?

2. Does your car "buck" "shudder" or "hesitate" when going up a hill from stand still and U turns?

3. Do you ever like to drive in the mountains when no one is around or visit the drag strip?

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Unless they revised it in the last year or so my service manual for my my11 says sst at 90,000kms, not 45k
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

talktomrgibson
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby talktomrgibson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:00 pm

rokpapaziz wrote:OK now I gotta ask, just to compare my own experience. 1. Do you always drive in Normal/Auto mode? 2. Does your car buck shudder or hesitate when going up a hill from stand still and U turns? 3. Do you ever like to drive in the mountains when no one is around or visit the drag strip?

1 - i usually drive in normal (manual)
2 - yes, yes one hundred times yes, its enough to make me want to ditch the car, that shudder is so irritating. (especially when i have passengers)
3 - never been to a drag strip but have made the odd journey through the mountains. never really pushed the car to the edge but done a little spirited driving.

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 pm

talktomrgibson wrote:1 - i usually drive in normal (manual) 2 - yes, yes one hundred times yes, its enough to make me want to ditch the car, that shudder is so irritating. (especially when i have passengers) 3 - never been to a drag strip but have made the odd journey through the mountains. never really pushed the car to the edge but done a little spirited driving.

New gearbox or clutches for you.

talktomrgibson
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby talktomrgibson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:17 pm

rokpapaziz wrote:[quote:cbb2c5a9f2=talktomrgibson]1 - i usually drive in normal (manual) 2 - yes, yes one hundred times yes, its enough to make me want to ditch the car, that shudder is so irritating. (especially when i have passengers) 3 - never been to a drag strip but have made the odd journey through the mountains. never really pushed the car to the edge but done a little spirited driving.[/quote:cbb2c5a9f2] New gearbox or clutches for you.

here is hoping, i realy dont want to have to fight Mitsubishi for it, they have overall been very good and i've been happy with the service, but as they say, you never realy know how good somebody is until you have a problem!

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Well it doesn't seem like they can argue anything. If they do want to avoid doing it (which I have heard from other people that this particular dealer is not their favourite) go see a dealer who will.

The dealer I go to wants to do warranty work, they get paid by Mitsu HQ to do it. However they will only do it if there is a full service history and no mods.

Lately I've heard that Mitsu are now fixing the gearboxes in house rather than replacing them. Don't be surprised if they do that.

Best of luck

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 pm

More than likely it will be fixed in house as the manufacturer's service restrictions have now ended

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 pm

Due to a number of SST failures, Mitsu will always try to get out of the situation and have you sort it out by yourself. You just have to keep pushing, maybe get a rep to ride with you and your old man so you can both point it out to him.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Maintenance”