***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Metalstrix's Full LED strip-Double Halo-Projector Headlights

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Hmm that's strange... they should be decent bright. See if there is anyone else having issues with them on other forums perhaps.

Usually 13.8v is ideal with the engine on and alternating working properly.

That connector does nothing, in your original headlight it just goes into a dummy plug. They are originally used for leveling on EVO X and aspires. They do nothing for the non-projector headlights, nor can they be used for leveling using OEM projector headlights, as they are wired differently.

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm

mickyoz wrote:Hmm thats strange... they should be decent bright. See if there is anyone else having issues with them on other forums perhaps. Usually 13.8v is ideal with the engine on and alternating working properly. That connector does nothing, in your original headlight it just goes into a dummy plug. They are originally used for leveling on EVO X and aspires. They do nothing for the non-projector headlights, nor can they be used for leveling using OEM projector headlights, as they are wired differently.

Do you think I got a dud one? Because Mwangs ones are pretty bright.
They will learn... I will always be a step ahead

No longer an active member.

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

It's unlikely, but there could have been a diff batch of LED's used perhaps?

It would be good if you can find someone local and compare side by side.

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey Thomas, can you please post a pic of them at night?
PRESENT: 2015 Audi S3

PAST:2009 Lancer ES called Lancee...

Garage: http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=947
I

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

belle_tb_ES wrote:Hey Thomas, can you please post a pic of them at night?

This looks amazing, but I want it to appear like down below in the day! :(

ImageImageImage

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Yeh...I just wanted pics to see what they looked like at night...might convince me to buy them

Thank you :)

I

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm

the LED looks good but the halos are very weak
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

belle_tb_ES wrote:Yeh...I just wanted pics to see what they looked like at night...might convince me to buy them Thank you :)

Yeah, imo, these lights look good at night, but not during the day. I've been messaging the sellers back and forth asking them if they can be any brighter for the day time. If they can't really give me an answer, then I'm just going to return it to them because they're not daytime worthy at the moment.

SIX420 wrote:the LED looks good but the halos are very weak

I agree with you on that.

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 pm

DRLs don't bother me much...more about what they look like at night/brightness/light output

I

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 pm

have same problem with mines! Angel lights visible in night time, but not in day time! DRL are ok in day and night

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:56 am

SEB15 wrote:have same problem with mines! Angel lights visible in night time, but not in day time! DRL are ok in day and night

Have you been contacting the company who sold them to you? They should know why.

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 am

I got a response from the rateme5 team who are a legit company who sold me my angel lights. They think the reason to why my lights may not be appearing so bright as expected is this:

Hi there,

We believe there's a power surge or inconsistent voltage from the power supply source to the headlights to have cause such a symptoms.

Hence, bench testing the headlights can help to verify this factor.

Thanks

So what do I do from here guys?

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 am

metalstrix wrote:I got a response from the rateme5 team who are a legit company who sold me my angel lights. They think the reason to why my lights may not be appearing so bright as expected is this: [b:67207b2736]Hi there, We believe theres a power surge or inconsistent voltage from the power supply source to the headlights to have cause such a symptoms. Hence, bench testing the headlights can help to verify this factor. Thanks[/b:67207b2736] So what do I do from here guys?

Thomas, as they said bench test it, and use a 12v power supply and hook up the led drl only to test, you won't have to take off the head light, but it will be tricky to hook them up though, I suggest using the drivers side headlight for better access.

From a sellers point a view, I don't think they will accept a return based on your findings, it's not going to have the same leds as an A4 B8 or R8 audi.
That's why these things are aftermarket, never gona be the same as original, whether it has leds as factory or not.

Metalstrix
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Metalstrix » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:02 am

Thomas, as they said bench test it, and use a 12v power supply and hook up the led drl only to test, you won't have to take off the head light, but it will be tricky to hook them up though, I suggest using the drivers side headlight for better access.

From a sellers point a view, I don't think they will accept a return based on your findings, it's not going to have the same leds as an A4 B8 or R8 audi.
That's why these things are aftermarket, never gona be the same as original, whether it has leds as factory or not.

After thinking about it now, I personally think there's no way to make them brighter. We know it's not the battery because it's currently 14v. That's with the radio on etc. Tbh I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a 12v power supply and bench test it. I might just sell the pair since I've only been using them for 2 weeks. I'll start taking off the lights when it stops raining.

The thing is, there must be a pair of angel lights that are powerful enough to be visible in the day and I have the bulbs which I bought from you too which I need to use too. Somewhere down the track, I'll have to use them.

I'll keep searching.

Btw, these lights are "R8". Would that be the same R8 Audi you were talking about?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008-2011-MI ... 498wt_1397

mickyoz

Postby mickyoz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am

metalstrix wrote:[quote:1befd91841]Thomas, as they said bench test it, and use a 12v power supply and hook up the led drl only to test, you wont have to take off the head light, but it will be tricky to hook them up though, I suggest using the drivers side headlight for better access. From a sellers point a view, I dont think they will accept a return based on your findings, its not going to have the same leds as an A4 B8 or R8 audi. Thats why these things are aftermarket, never gona be the same as original, whether it has leds as factory or not.[/quote:1befd91841] After thinking about it now, I personally think theres no way to make them brighter. We know its not the battery because its currently 14v. Thats with the radio on etc. Tbh Im not going to go out of my way to buy a 12v power supply and bench test it. I might just sell the pair since Ive only been using them for 2 weeks. Ill start taking off the lights when it stops raining. The thing is, there must be a pair of angel lights that are powerful enough to be visible in the day and I have the bulbs which I bought from you too which I need to use too. Somewhere down the track, Ill have to use them. Ill keep searching. Btw, these lights are R8. Would that be the same R8 Audi you were talking about? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008-2011-MI ... 498wt_1397

I can tell you now there will no headlight having the expectation that you desire, especially with the leds they currently use, unless you were willing to mod the headlight and replace them with CREE led chips, then you will see what brightness is about.

The only option is install a universal DRL unit in the lower part of the bumper if you want something visible, using samsung or CREE leds.

I have a prototype lancer headlights (reserved for a customer) from Sonar which I think seems to be bright, but they removed the halos for us, as I am not a big fan of them personally, I think LED DRL's are enough on a headlight.

I could probably make them do a version with better LED's but that takes time to do.

The link you have provided is for a set of LHD headlights, so in my opinion making them unsafe for road users in Oz which are RHD, also warranty issues, what if something goes wrong, you think they will be helpful or efficient? That remains to be seen.

R8 is used mainly as a marketing term as everyone can distinguish what an R8 is, as they have led's in their headlights.

Return to “Exterior”