***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

100.000 kms service by newbie (08 lancer es cj MY08)

Local WA State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:42 am

If you have a CVT you could fill it through the location of where the dipstick is for the transmission. before filling i would carefully measure how much came out. so you know exactly how much to put back in. ( i think you will need more than 2.5L for CVT)
I believe the manual is a sealed unit (no dipstick) with no easy access to fill that i can think of.
there might also be multiple sumps as the oil needs to get into all sorts of pockets.

As for your coolant i would strongly advise not to flush it with water from the garden hose as all of the impurities of tap water will start to build up and WILL corrode pipes\radiator etc. I am unsure if distilled water is an acceptable alternative. however if you were quoted 880$. buying another bottle or two of radiator fluid to do a full flush isn't so bad really.
I would suggest using the butterfly bleeder on the radiator (you might have to disconnect a hose) to drain into a huge pan.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Yep should be.
Just remember that the coolant flows nearly around the whole engine bay. it may take some time for it to trickle or be pumped around.
The reason why they want to use a pump is to be able to push the old coolant from the heater core and engine block out. just draining the radiator will only get a partial result.

Replace is exactly as it sounds.
Flush is when you use extra liquid be it oil or coolant to help push any leftover deposits out that would have gotten stuck.
Depending on how well you want to maintain your vehicle i would suggest flushing the coolant rather than just replace.
Engine oil is often not a problem with just a simple drain\fill
However in much much older cars I find that a flush helps push the rest of the built up sludge that could be sitting around.
I'm not sure how many DIY'ers do this but it is important to visually inspect all the fluids that come out for shards\fragments\deposits\bizzare colour and consistency. these can often be the first early warning that something expensive is about to happen.

Return to “Western Australia”