***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Mitsu drops 10yr Powertrain warranty

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

TheOtherLeft
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Mitsu drops 10yr Powertrain warranty

Postby TheOtherLeft » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:20 pm

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Also time for many new buyers to mod from the start!
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:37 pm

If only 1.5% used it then isn't that a good thing...?
And how is dropping it going to save them much money at all if so few people took them up on it?

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Wow, thats game. Despite the fact it was rarely used, it was still core to the brand's marketing.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 pm

debonaire wrote:Wow, thats game. Despite the fact it was rarely used, it was still core to the brands marketing.

I think it was mainly to get people to feel more secure with the brand, mainly due to the negative connotations on the locally made Magna.

It's a shame that it has to go, but if it means more competitive pricing then I'm all for that.

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:45 am

I hate marketing spin. Lets try to work out what the statement means.

1.5 percent in 8 years, by definition,would your sample size need to extend for a full 10 years? I would think the percentage would increase?

Now what does 1.5 reprecent? If they sell 2000 lancers per month, that is 30 cars.! Much better odds of having a problem than winning lotto...but we still buy tickets to the lottery.

$6800.... Did they think every sst was going to implode within the first owners time? That value has been calculated by mitsubishi, so expect something big to go on the drive train on every second evo between 5 and 10 years? Or have the cars been more robust than expected, and there is less than the 6800 dollars of risk in an evo?

On a positive side, would most of the problems happen in the first 5 years?

I would not have bought a mitsubishi with only a 5 year warranty on a new design turbo engine with sst. I always buy a car with the intention of retaining for 10 years....kept my last one for over 7.
CJ RA. Stock!

kalt
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby kalt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am

Maybe Mitsubishi plan to introduce more eco friendly non petrol cars, and hedge their bets on reliability of those cars.
Signature For Lease - Apply Within

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 am

BeHaV3 wrote:I hate marketing spin. Lets try to work out what the statement means. 1.5 percent in 8 years, by definition,would your sample size need to extend for a full 10 years? I would think the percentage would increase? Now what does 1.5 reprecent? If they sell 2000 lancers per month, that is 30 cars.! Much better odds of having a problem than winning lotto...but we still buy tickets to the lottery. $6800.... Did they think every sst was going to implode within the first owners time? That value has been calculated by mitsubishi, so expect something big to go on the drive train on every second evo between 5 and 10 years? Or have the cars been more robust than expected, and there is less than the 6800 dollars of risk in an evo? On a positive side, would most of the problems happen in the first 5 years? I would not have bought a mitsubishi with only a 5 year warranty on a new design turbo engine with sst. I always buy a car with the intention of retaining for 10 years....kept my last one for over 7.

Completely agree with all your points - I also wondered how valid their statistics were when the first cars sold under the program are still under the warranty. But then I thought maybe they mean that only 1.5% of cars are actually eligible (i.e make it to 5yo with the same owner and less than 160kkm).

The powertrain warranty was a factor in my purchase also - if I had, for instance, a VW with a DSG, I'd be in a constant state of paranoia once the 3yr warranty was up. That's why my car is stock, its just not worth the risk. If the Ralliart had a normal manual, I'd be confident in playing with the engine but not with a transmission that can let go at any point.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm sure the marketing boffins at MMAL would have had focus groups, countless double decaf skim lattes, along with and holding plenty of marketing group studies with random selection off the street people and found that most people were clueless about the 10yr powertrain warranty or didn't even know a powertrain was but the idea of saving money on a car sounded much better.
Marketing drones 1
Engineers 0

The fact that it's only been claimed by 1.5% of cars is irrelevant. Having such a warranty speaks volumes about the manufacturer's confidence in it's products, regardless if it's needed or not.

For the clueless masses however saving $ sounds more better, as it is instant gratification, rather than planning for the future. This is the world we live in.... :\
Last edited by The X on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:52 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:...saving $ sounds more better as ....

Nice grammar Pete.
Although I concur with your post other then that.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Meaty wrote: Nice grammar Pete.
LOL. Sorry just woke up after a night shift, brain is slowly warming up... :P
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779

ImageImage

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Powertrain warranty was one of the reasons why I got this car, now that they have dropped the Powertrain warranty my next car certainly won't be the lancer :) more than likely be the Hyundai Iload if I decided to become a owner driver :)

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm suprised the powertrain warranty didn't send the lancer towards the top of the sales chart.
There must be something special about the Mazda 3, hilux etc

Return to “General Talk”