***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Whats there to do in Hobart?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Whats there to do in Hobart?

Postby Kyrus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi guys,

Planning to visit Hobart in the holidays. Was wondering whats some fun spot to visit.

Also what are some spots that are good for night cruises.

Any sugestion is welcome, BTW will be hiring a CJ hahaha
燒

Jman_898
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jman_898 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 pm

depends what you guys are into, if you want to see some abstract stuff (some things are awesome tho) try visiting "Mona", its a free museum setup by some multi.... there are a few very interesting active displays (like the light bulb room) however i must warn, there are some very odd and sometimes offensive displays
other than that, deffinately plan a drive up the mountain, there are some amazing sights there, hopefully the roads wont be closed due to snow tho...
If you are there on a weekend you can check out "Salamanca markets" which from memory run every sunday at salamanca place (water side in hobart). Most of the things for sale are hand made due to the town of hobart being very arts enthused. :)

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:02 pm

so far this is what we have, arrive monday morning and leave thursday arvo.

Probably one day for city, harbour side?
one day planned to drive up to wine glass bay for bushwalking and what not
that leave one and a bit day unaccounted for, so pretty much any suggestion is welcome.

thing is tho, we would most likely be like tourist and visit main attractions. but still at the planning stage so..... yeh...
燒

Jman_898
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jman_898 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 pm

shame to miss out on salamanca markets mate, they are a great experience. very warming feel on a cold winters day. either way im sure you will have a great time. There is a nice view of the city from the war memorial also.

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 am

Jman said
try visiting "Mona", its a free museum setup by some multi....

Just to let you know i'm pretty sure its only free for Tasmanian residents:S

Also the Salamanca Markets are on sat rather than Sunday:)

Jman_898
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Jman_898 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm

HobartLancer09 wrote: Just to let you know im pretty sure its only free for Tasmanian residents:S Also the Salamanca Markets are on sat rather than Sunday:)

Ah thanks for the correction,. i couldnt remember if it was saturday or sunday. never the less its a great atmosphere.
As for MONA, im pretty sure its open to anyone? they had the advertisement in just about every tourist information stand and when we turned up and put our name and address on the form they never asked for any fee? they handed us the I"something" which had some app loaded onto it so you can get more info or save and email yourself details about things you found of interest. Was pretty cool IMO.
If however there was a fee, for some reason i was not aware and they did not charge. they DID however make up for it at the cafeteria :P

HobartLancer09
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby HobartLancer09 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Yeah it is open to anyone, but a guy i work with went a couple of weeks ago and he said if your not a Tasmanian resident then there is a charge. I cant remember exactly how much though:(

But Kyrus, it really depends how long you come down for. If its only going to be a few days, then really your only going to scratch the surface of what Tassie has to offer.

Especially the awesome winding roads :twisted:

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:55 pm

The High-light of our Tazzie Trip was Port Arther Alex ...We spent most of the day there & backed up at night for the ghost tour :)
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:25 pm

HobartLancer09 wrote:Yeah it is open to anyone, but a guy i work with went a couple of weeks ago and he said if your not a Tasmanian resident then there is a charge. I cant remember exactly how much though:( But Kyrus, it really depends how long you come down for. If its only going to be a few days, then really your only going to scratch the surface of what Tassie has to offer. Especially the awesome winding roads :twisted:

yeh actually wana check out some of the twisties for night cruise, any good suggestion near hobart? main goal of the trip is just to chill and visit some scenary. so we'll see how it goes
燒

Kyrus
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Kyrus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm

DORA_ANNE wrote:The High-light of our Tazzie Trip was Port Arther Alex ...We spent most of the day there & backed up at night for the ghost tour :)

ohh that looks good, probably plan a day and head there. whats there to do at port arthur Doreen? thanks for your suggestion.
燒

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:26 pm

It's mainly all about the history Alex & the stories about the prisoners /Convicts & how they were treated & you can just have a walk around Port Arther & see how they lived & they still have all the Cells & old house's where the Commandant & his family lived , There is a boat ride over to "The Island of the Dead " That we went on & that was Interesting .. All depends if you are Interested in History this Is .... You probably could do it in half a day ... And with the ghost tour "And Yes it's Haunted at Port Arther *eek* Lol That was scary but Fun :D ..

Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

Return to “General Talk”