***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Manual driving tips/skills?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tempest
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Manual driving tips/skills?

Postby Tempest » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Hey clubCJ

The new CJ lancer is going to be my first manual car (My12 ES), And whilst i can drive manual, it is not smooth most of the time. (mostly from 1st to 2nd i am kind of rough)

Although my experiences in manual have been only in cars with really loose gates(had to drive a friends CRX, and you could not define the difference between 1st or 3rd, you had to hope you got it right)...or the prelude i was forced to drive for my old work had about 3/4 of its tranny fluid missing and needless to say..i looked like an idiot driving that too.
I couldn't quite get it smooth and i was wondering if clubCJ could give a newbie some tips on clutch control, and the proper procedure for changing up/down.
I have seen many youtube vids but i wanted to ask you guys as you know the CJ's transmission better then anyone else!.

I am seriously worried about stalling the new baby when im coming out of from the dealers when it comes time to go for my first drive with her. Looking like a dolt at a clubCJ meet is something i would like to avoid also.

Bags
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Bags » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Mate, for me clutch control is definitely a "feel" thing. It's just gonna take practice. I find the clutch in the lancer pretty good,Very easy to live with.
I drove a loan one aswell and that was terrible. Only 18000 klms and it was the worst pedal feel I have ever felt! Loads of resistance and shudder through the pedal.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:38 pm

You'll get used to it. My CJ was my first time back in a manual Took me a while to get it smooth. I did stall it yesterday though (left it in first when I stopped at the side of the road.. lucky noone saw me :()
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Tempest
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Tempest » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:44 pm

I am seriously excited about it all though :D.

Thanks, i can't wait.

BRE88N
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby BRE88N » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm

just take your time and think about it bro

Sushi
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sushi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:56 pm

I learnt to drive in my manual vr, I toke heaps of lessons to get to my Ps lol.
It's Definetly a feel thing when the clutch engages n releases. I used to get lost on the 3/4 gate. N my insturactor just made me turn off the car, put the clutch in n pratice going up n down thur the gears. Toke a while to get used to but got the hang of it n it's like second nature now =D

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:15 pm

It just one of those things that take time to get better at. Took me a while getting use to it (after driving a manual Mitsubishi Mirage, Lancer's do have a little more power). Although I have only stalled mine about 2 or 3 times since getting mine nearly a year ago! Usually stupid things like not taking it out gear and releasing the clutch whilst it was still in gear stopped in the driveway!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 pm

The transmission in the manual lancers is very forgiving. If the car begins to shudder or struggle you will always have plenty of time to push the clutch back in or even just give it a bit more power. As everyone has said, its just simply something you get used to over time, I jump into other manual cars and can still stall it and have it shudder, but its something you get used to with the car. Its a good idea to sit at a standstill on a flat surface in first gear and find the friction point of the clutch, once you found the friction point then you can start using the accelerator to keep the revs steady as you release your foot further off the clutch. Takes a bit of practice but if you have driven a manual car before then it shouldnt be too much of a problem especially in the lancer.

I got my lancer when I was 16, a month after getting my learners it was bought for me and I bunnyhopped and stalled my way all the way out of the dealership and down the road :P
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Tempest
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Tempest » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Hahaha tadzorz, now your making the idea of purposely bunny hopping out of the dealer seem like a good idea...At least it would be a good memory.

Can't wait to get my CJ/ I have pre-approval for finance, its just waiting on one document from work..Just my work is slow as heck on paperwork!
The dealer is keeping it aside for me though, which is great!.

darren1011
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby darren1011 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:29 pm

milobob wrote:Youll get used to it. My CJ was my first time back in a manual Took me a while to get it smooth. I did stall it yesterday though (left it in first when I stopped at the side of the road.. lucky noone saw me :()

After a few years in auto's, it takes a bit of getting used to back in the manual. I find the Lancer doesn't need first gear all that often, and even when i do use it it's just a blip, hill starts exception, I too have been guilty of stalling at stops, and on my driveway which is a 45 angle and causes me to think twice about lowering

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”