***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

OEM Floor Illumators

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jeffers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

OEM Floor Illumators

Postby jeffers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi Guys

I just got the OEM floor illuminators (blue) fitted in my lancer VRX. Now i have a question on how they run because unfortunately my dealer was unsure as to answer this question after it was fitted (yeah i know), but i would like to know from people who got this option fitted, do the floor illuminators light up only when the doors are opened and is there an option to turn them on manually for say at night?

The dealer said they would get back to me on an answer to say if should be a factory fitted option (to have a button to turn them on manually) or if they will have to make and fit a switch for me to allow me to do so.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Pretty sure they are made to come "ON" only when the Doors are "Opened".

However, any Auto Elect & possibly the Auto Sparky at your Dealership would easily be able to fit an optional on/off over-ride switch.

Sam.... :wink:
Last edited by SAM-24A on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

jeffers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jeffers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:06 pm

SAM-24A wrote:Pretty sure they are made to come ON only when the Doors are opened. However, any Auto Elect & possibly the Auto Sparky at your Dealership would easily be able to fit an optional on/off over-ride switch. Sam.... :wink:

Hey Sam, i think you may be right and it seems to insinuate that in the accessories section describing the feature on the mitsu website, however the dealers unsurity on the feature made me question if i was missing out on something that others who have had this option fitted have. Has anyone had this option fitted and can confirm it is definitely on when the doors open then turn off when the door lights turn off?

Even if it only meant to go on when the doors open, i think it would look super cool if they are able to come on at night with a push of a button. Seems silly if it isn't something that is part of the package.

Jeff.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:34 pm

They work off the interior light.

Power on all the time and earth when a door is opened.

To get them to work you need to fit another earth through a switch.

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 pm

So that means when 1 door is opened they all come on (as going through some light)

One would think it would be done right so only the light comes on for the according door being opened like mine are.

A switch would be easy to put in, but that would make them turn on while the doors are closed.... What's the point there? U can't see them.
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

jeffers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jeffers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 pm

I guess that having the switch to turn on/off would be good to have to see the floor illuminated blue when you're driving in the dark. However i guess you'd have to remember to turn it off before exiting the vehicle unless it can also run in accordance to the door light mechanism.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Personally i think it should be left per as the dealer fits them,only to come on when doors are opened. Wouldnt it be distracting having them on whilst driving?
IMO when it comes to electrical stuff,i dont see the need of having switches for this and that etc,its a car, not a 747 cockpit :D

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm with u now, footwell lighting.

Illegal to have on when vehicle is in motion as it can be deemed a distraction to driver or other drivers.

Treated the same as underbody lighting
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR

Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE

2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm

jeffers wrote:I guess that having the switch to turn on/off would be good to have to see the floor illuminated blue when youre driving in the dark. However i guess youd have to remember to turn it off before exiting the vehicle unless it can also run in accordance to the door light mechanism.

Our car turns off accessories power after about 30 minutes plus led's draw very little power.

jeffers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jeffers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm with u now, footwell lighting.

Illegal to have on when vehicle is in motion as it can be deemed a distraction to driver or other drivers.

Treated the same as underbody lighting

oh didn't know it was illegal to have them on in motion. That would make sense then! just the dealer told me that it would be like the floor illums in the EVO as in ability to turn them on at any time...

T-All3NT
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby T-All3NT » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I just thought, you can connect the OEM floor illuminators to the dome light, because that turns on when you unlock and open the door, and also allows you to switch it to 'on' when you need to find something you dropped on the floor

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 pm

that's true would be handy in that sense, i think it would be a legality issue as to why Mitsubishi have not installed a switch at factory to have them come on whilst driving. If I had footwell lights installed I wouldnt expect to be able to override them while driving, only when ignition is off and doors opened, thus the reason why i would never install a switch in my car :)
As for dropping something on the floor I just use a little led torch I keep in the car it comes in handy :)

skyscraper
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby skyscraper » Tue May 15, 2012 5:07 pm

I was looking at getting these installed too.

My dealer told me that they only come on when the doors open and
turn off when the interior turns off.

How much did you pay for them ?
I'm still keen to get some installed with my next service.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue May 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Why in the world would you do that with Mitsubishi?
They're about A$200+

DIY.

Get yourself some neon tubes or LED strip if you want it brighter and put them in yourself. A$50 tops

There's a DIY on this forum.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Return to “Lighting”