***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Think the dealer's trying to rip me off!

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

L@NC3R4LYF
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Think the dealer's trying to rip me off!

Postby L@NC3R4LYF » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Hey Guys,

First off, hope this is the right place to post this! If not, could a mod please move?

Anyways, I've got a good deal locked in for a mitsubishi lancer by my local dealer. It's "apparently" a MY12 but im pretty sure it's a MY11 with the 2012 'pack' added on to it - but this I'm not too fussed about.

However, what's got me concerned is the following;
Today I got a chance to see my car in the lot, just waiting till the finance company files through the funds + they fit the foglamps however looking at the car today I found two strange things..

1) I added the 'Chrome Door Handles' for ~$300 but going in today, they were just freaking chrome clips! They were literally glued on and the glue was still not completely set, so we could even lift it up. These are like $20 for a set of four on eBay and sure as hell not paying $300 for it. On the invoice it specifically says 'Chrome Door Handles w/o Keyless Entry' nothing out about covers and I think they are trying to make some money on me here because they aren't too happy with the deal we pushed them into. I looked around at some of the other Lancers in the car-lot waiting for pickup and they all had the actual solid chrome door handles.

2) I also got a rear diffuser put in for $400 but the thing that was GLUED on yet again! (I was under the impression these were securely bolted on it, but please correct me if I'm wrong). The rear diffuser look extremely filmsy and covers about half of the rear bumper with about a good foot of empty space, either side. I thought the rear diffuser was supposed to cover the whole rear bumper and have big, thick "shark fins" - am I being ripped off here again?

I just hope the foglights aren't some cheap as cr*p either, paid another ~$500 for that... Hopefully I can get my head around this because the car's ready to be released on Friday and I won't pay up if they are purposely trying to scam me.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Ok firstly the chrome door handles should be fully chrome and NOT covers.
As for the rear diffuser take a look in my garage and there should be a pic of my oem diffuser it's grey in colour. My rear diffuser is bolted on as I can see the screws if you get underneath it.
The OEM diffuser does not use the whole of the rear bumper, it covers the middle bit of the bumper bar.
Hope this helps

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Shark fin diffuser? Are you referring to the Evo 10 diffuser? As that one wont fit the Na's
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:33 pm

The chrome door handle covers are actually only covers, even the OEM Mitsubishi accessory is only a cover. I believe only the Aspire comes with actual chrome door handles (although it is still plastic but sprayed chrome).

I have the OEM chrome door handle covers and they cost around $200 so they're probably charging you that + some fee for installation even though it's stuck on with double sided tape and takes 5 mins to do.

As for the diffuser, I believe they gave you the OEM one but it certainty isn't the Evo one.

Perhaps next time look at the accessories book? That should give you a good idea what the accessories look like.

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1131& ... ccessories

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm

This is the OEM diffuser which is probably the one that they have suppiled you??

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:47 pm

And this is how its supposed to be screwed on,the front part of the diffuser could be still glued on,as there are only two screws.
Mine is pretty secure and it wont budge unless i get rear ended.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Alileighju wrote:The chrome door handle covers are actually only covers, even the OEM Mitsubishi accessory is only a cover. I believe only the Aspire comes with actual chrome door handles (although it is still plastic but sprayed chrome).

If thats the case then thats dissapointing. I have the stick on covers which i purchased off ebay. Cost around $40
I enquired about the OEM chrome door handle covers last year and actually seen them at spare parts,they were full chrome and they were not stick ons. Same as aspire
Maybe things have changed in 12 months.

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Easy way to check if my11 or my12 is look on the compliance plate. Tells u what year and what month
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Its a dealership... Of course adding extras is going to be a rip-off... You probably should've researched here before deciding rather than coming here to complain.

If they've already started modifying the car for you I'm guessing you've agreed to purchase and can't get out of it.

Of course theres an expectation of quality in their installation. If its not good enough make them fix it.

But they've given you the parts you asked for from what I can tell...

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

I think you get something like a 1 yr warranty with Mitsubishi genuine parts, so I guess there's some consolation.

The OEM Mitsubishi add-ons are very expensive, and I personally think anything above say $150 should be negotiated into the cost of the car at purchase.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 pm

If you get the extras fitted before taking delivery of the car, they are 3yr warranty.

I only ever thought the accessory chrome handles were covers. There were reports that the Outlander ones fitted. Or the Aspire.

Foglights are normally around that price.

Most body kit parts utilise some doublesided tape, or sikaflex etc.

The car is going to have a build of 2011, as it is not 2012 yet. Regardless if it is a MY11 or a MY12. I doubt the dealer would have paid for the car to be hopped up to MY12 spec.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:58 pm

I just found a brochure and it does state that there covers, so my apologies if I misinformed anyone.
However I'm pretty sure I seen a set at spare parts last year and they were a full handle like the aspire :)

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:52 pm

You can buy chrome door handles from Mitsubishi. I enquired but lost interest when I heard the price. From memory they were around $1000

The rear diffuser will be help on with double sided tape and the 2 screws underneath.

Always best to investigate and ask what parts you purchased. I have heard of people getting floor mats thinking they were getting OEM Lancer mats to only find a cheap set from Repco. Always get a part number.

Tarquin
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Tarquin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Sounds like you do have a MY11

- I was pretty sure too the MY12 was coming out with the 'now current' RA front bumper, so that comes with fog lights installed

- For the price I'd suggest they're fitting the stock OEM VR/VRX foggies - which just plug in and screw on easy.

The big advantage now with dealer delivered is the decent factory warranty. If it falls off or breaks then get them to replace or fix it... :)

1) Door handles are stick-ons, yes - and looks like you're about at Dealer charges + more labour to stick them on.

* Mitsubishi OEM Parts for ClubCJ Members *
wrote:
Chrome Door Handle Foils
MZ576228EX - Chrome Door Handle Foils
RRP= A$235+
CCJ= A$192.00

2) Rear Diffuser needs screws as well as Glue.... Price is about right too...

[quote="* Mitsubishi OEM Parts for ClubCJ Members *
"]Rear Bumper Lower Diffuser
MZ380476EX Diffuser Bumper Grey
RRP=A$412+
CCJ= A$390[/quote]
- CCJ Premium Member #0015.
Tarq's Paintshop

MRWOLF
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby MRWOLF » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 am

The Chrome door handles costed me $200 and all it has 3M sticker to apply to the handles. It took me bout 10mins and it was a simple job. Yes I know you can find on eBay much more cheaper but was young and silly and it does look great.

Just an honest opinion, if you are like me, young and silly, and you want everything done to your car asap and want OEM products, have a thorough look on the forum. There is a thread just dedicated to OEM parts from Sir Ofey. Have a look at what you want and just compare. I did and right now for the stuff I want via the forum will save me $150

Without sound hypocritical, it is an expensive lesson learnt, but a lesson learnt none the less. Ive done the same thing
Mine's quicker then yours!!!

Range Rover Sport 2014-
2013 WRX: 2013-
2009 Lancer: 2010-2013
2003 Astra: 2008-2010

Return to “Exterior”