***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

IPhone 4S

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Phones aren't meant to last. They're lucky to make the 2 year contract period anyway. I don't want the next iPhone I just want a really good phone that suits me and if that's an iPhone then so be it. I shop around to get the best phone for the money I have to spend on my plan.

I'm loving the apps (whether it's Apple or Android). I have some on my phone for my Uni chemistry with the periodic table and all sorts of interesting stuff. Also when I'm doing my lab work at uni I can Google stuff that I need as I'm going. I sooooo love smart phones.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 pm

I knew that they were going to match the iPad's hardware, but didn't realise they would use the same phone casing.
I had the iPhone 4 but sold it as I got a bit bored of it, and ended up going with a Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm pretty happy with how things went, as the iPhone 5 hasn't shown up as yet. I'll probably head back to Apple if the iPhone 5 has good hardware.

I do have an iPad 2 so am keen to get a final release version of iOS5 though.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:10 pm

SXLancerMum wrote:Phones aren't meant to last.

I disagree with this. Obviously technology moves quickly and the usefulness of a phone drops fairly gradually but that doesn't mean they can't survive.

I won't start ranting but I have issues with people who don't take care of their stuff... All the phones (and other technology) I've owned has always lasted... Whereas everyone around me burns through phones (and laptops are another example) like they're nothing.

Then again maybe I just have good luck!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:16 pm

I believe the term is planned obsolescence. Apple is very good at making their staff last long enough for you to remember the quality, but also to get you to upgrade to the next one.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Dire wrote: I disagree with this. Obviously technology moves quickly and the usefulness of a phone drops fairly gradually but that doesnt mean they cant survive. I wont start ranting but I have issues with people who dont take care of their stuff... All the phones (and other technology) Ive owned has always lasted... Whereas everyone around me burns through phones (and laptops are another example) like theyre nothing. Then again maybe I just have good luck!

All of my stuff lasts ages too, I don't understand what people do to their phones?!? Like today, someone showed me their iPhone, and it was scratched and cracked to hell and I was like have you had that for like 3 years or something and she was like 'nah I've only had it for 6 months!'

I have a really old phone in my storeroom somewhere from about 6-7 years ago and it still works perfectly! If I wanted to use it as my everyday mobile I still could.

Does anyone have any idea when the iPhone 5 is coming out? I'm tossing up whether to get the 4S or wait for the 5... I need a new phone!

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 pm

So if people expect iPhones to break why to they buy them? :?

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 pm

They don't, they just do god-knows-what to them and that's why they break.

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:47 am

lol the only good thing bout iphone 4s is maybe the camera thats about it... oh and SIRI.... pretty cool feature but after a while gets boring so meh maybe just wait for iphone 5 i guess

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:15 am

What's SIRI?? To do with the camera??

hansmitchel
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby hansmitchel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:44 am

New dual core A5 processor, for faster processing power and graphics for gaming (7X faster than the predecessor)
you all know about the 8 Megapixel cam
Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. Siri allows you to speak naturally to help you make calls, send text messages or email, schedule meetings and reminders, make notes, search the mobile Internet, find local businesses, get directions and more. You can also get answers, find facts and even perform complex calculations just by asking. It even understands an Australian accent.
iOS 5 and iCloud,has new antenna whichintelligently switches for better coverage performance

The iPhone 4S may come in 16, 32 , 64 GB model and should be available on same launch date as in the US

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 am

OK then peoples there is such a thing as planned obsolescence. There is a use by date programmed into absolutely everything we buy. It has nothing to do with how well you look after stuff. I look after my stuff extremely well and it all still decides when it wants to die. Most electronic stuff (we're talking TVs, fridges etc) only lasts, on average, about 5-8 years. Some stuff is a lot less. If you get 3 years out of some things you're doing well. Laptops usually die between 2 and 3 years. Usually around the expiration of your warranty.

They're not meant to last because if they did there would be no use you buying a new one. They die because the manufacturers need you to have to buy another one. Some people would to keep up with technology but there are others who would just sit back with their little old Nokia bricks from way back when and be happy. In fact one of my cousins has the same phone she had 10 years ago. Little Nokia which takes and makes calls and gets text messages. She's old and is happy with that. Some phones last but not many.

There are people who have absolutely no regard for anything they own and throw their phones and other stuff around. They're just idiots or have a lot of money to burn. One girl I know used to get a new phone every 2 or 3 months. Sometimes they broke but usually she just got bored. She was at school at the time and her granpa used to get them for her. My kids usually looked after their phones.

My iPhone, when it is in my bag, is wrapped in a microfibre cloth to protect it from breakages. Doesn't mean that it won't have dummy spits. My sons button stopped working on his. You had to be patient with it and try a few times. He'd had his for 2 years by then. He usually kills everything electronic within a month but the iPhone lasted out his contract.

I still have all my old phones. The first few can't be used again. They're CDMA. The last two still could. The Samsung has a problem with the 4 key and the Nokia lost it's C key but they still work. Not bad for living in my bag for 2 years each.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

Ok thanks for the info about it :) the old phones the batteries lasted so much longer, I could get a week with my old nokia, now lucky to get a day with the I phone :) however we use our phones a lot more than we used to

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

Yeah the battery isn't great on them. I suppose the poor thing has no hope when my teenage daughter uses it for Facebook and Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends and whatever else she nicks it for. I'm always going looking for it in her room. For once it's actually sitting here beside me in the lounge room. Wonders will never cease.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Current generation phones have excellent batteries. The phones are just much more powerful and do much more things, even when you haven't touched it all day. Not saying they always have a good enough battery for the phone but yeah.

And of course products are designed to last a minimum time, but that doesn't mean things can't last longer.

Circuity will always fail eventually no matter how well it is looked after or designed. It doesn't mean they 'plan' for it to die.
However from everything I've heard about iPhones and from all the posts in this thread its as if they DO plan for them to die, which is why I get confused that people stick with them unquestioningly...

Again, my issue isn't that I think iPhones are crap, its that many people don't seem to even consider shopping around even if they've had bad experiences :?

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Not sticking to anything unquestioningly here.

Return to “General Talk”