***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Regretted buying NA CJ instead of Ralliart :(

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 pm

In my case, I went with the Activ because it was awesome value for money and it was also my first car. I had originally wanted to purchase a compact SUV, like the Outlander, but decided that I was better off getting a small car to build up my driving experience and then spending the $10k or so on the next car.

As much as I like the RA and EVO, for that much money, I'd probably look at the Falcodore alternatives. Right now though, I'm saving up for a V6 SUV.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 pm

You'll only really need an RA if you're a go-fast driver, as in going to the track occasionally or wanting to beat big bogan sixes to the merging lane (no illegal speeding suggested). The handling is also noticeably better especially in twisty roads, thanks to 4WD and sportier suspension.

Otherwise, as the others said, it costs significantly more to run and is a bit harder to live with on an everyday basis because of the stiffer ride and negotiating the turbo around town. There's also the decreased boot space.

Whatever Lancer you bought, there should be no regret. Regardless of performance, it's a well built car that's no less handsome than an Audi and with world-class safety.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

INVUR-1
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby INVUR-1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 pm

thanks guy for all your individual opinion
(cj-black) oO~`AnDreW Black CJ VIC`~Oo (cj-black)

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:26 pm

squala wrote:Youll only really need an RA if youre a go-fast driver, as in going to the track occasionally or wanting to beat big bogan sixes to the merging lane (no illegal speeding suggested). The handling is also noticeably better especially in twisty roads, thanks to 4WD and sportier suspension. Otherwise, as the others said, it costs significantly more to run and is a bit harder to live with on an everyday basis because of the stiffer ride and negotiating the turbo around town. Theres also the decreased boot space. Whatever Lancer you bought, there should be no regret. Regardless of performance, its a well built car thats no less handsome than an Audi and with world-class safety.

It is not about need, it is about want. If it were about need, we would be all driving round in cheap Cherry cars or something!!

I had my ES for almost 3 years, now I have the focus. I love the power I love the seats, I love that it is european. Do I need either the lancer or the focus no. I could drive around in my 2000 excel runabout if I wanted and not have a turbo car.

Yes the RA costs more to maintain, uses more fuel, but it does not ride any less compliant than any other CJ. The boot space is still quite acceptable. I had a full size spare in my ES and that made the boot about the same volume as the RA.

Andrew, at the end of the day, if you really want an RA or another performance car that's fair enough, but I guess you just have to wait till the point where your current car is at the right age for the changeover to be financially viable :)

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 pm

I just bought a RA it's awesome. But it's the things that aren't obvious that are the traps.

There are obvious things. Rego is way more expensive, insurance can be too, but that all depends on your personal circumstances. Fuel is very expensive these days.

You get hassles, from people who don't like fast cars, people who wish they had fast cars, old people, cops, other people who drive fast cars etc. etc.

I always had fairly cheap cars and modified them. Waste of money.

Desire can be less troublesome than worry. I'm glad I waited until I was more sensible to get this car.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 am

rego is the same mate , i paid the same for the evo and the mazda3 at home. Insurance and the fuel is alot higher without a doubt.

This debate will never come to an end , it's like some people is happy spending xxx on car A vs people happy spending twice the amount for car B. Just be realistic and not throw all your life savings into a car.
Lancer Evolution 10MR

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 am

LZY_EYE wrote:[quote:687dd23e9b=squala]Youll only really need an RA if youre a go-fast driver, as in going to the track occasionally or wanting to beat big bogan sixes to the merging lane (no illegal speeding suggested). The handling is also noticeably better especially in twisty roads, thanks to 4WD and sportier suspension. Otherwise, as the others said, it costs significantly more to run and is a bit harder to live with on an everyday basis because of the stiffer ride and negotiating the turbo around town. Theres also the decreased boot space. Whatever Lancer you bought, there should be no regret. Regardless of performance, its a well built car thats no less handsome than an Audi and with world-class safety.[/quote:687dd23e9b] It is not about need, it is about want. If it were about need, we would be all driving round in cheap Cherry cars or something!! I had my ES for almost 3 years, now I have the focus. I love the power I love the seats, I love that it is european. Do I need either the lancer or the focus no. I could drive around in my 2000 excel runabout if I wanted and not have a turbo car. Yes the RA costs more to maintain, uses more fuel, but it does not ride any less compliant than any other CJ. The boot space is still quite acceptable. I had a full size spare in my ES and that made the boot about the same volume as the RA. Andrew, at the end of the day, if you really want an RA or another performance car thats fair enough, but I guess you just have to wait till the point where your current car is at the right age for the changeover to be financially viable :)

Yeah I guess it's more on the desire than necessity. Maybe the harder ride is because of the 18" wheels and lower profile rubber as compared to the Platinum's 16s. But can you confirm that the VRX and Ralliart ride the same?

At the end of the day, the Ralliart isn't for everyone. It's not something I'd recommend to Mum and Dad, for one thing. Another bloke may choose to spend the same money for the cheapest new BMW (118i) because of the badge image and better made interior, but he only gets mediocre performance from a car that doesn't look that good and is quite small inside.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 am

squala wrote:[quote:a6721e4f36=LZY_EYE][quote:687dd23e9b=squala]Youll only really need an RA if youre a go-fast driver, as in going to the track occasionally or wanting to beat big bogan sixes to the merging lane (no illegal speeding suggested). The handling is also noticeably better especially in twisty roads, thanks to 4WD and sportier suspension. Otherwise, as the others said, it costs significantly more to run and is a bit harder to live with on an everyday basis because of the stiffer ride and negotiating the turbo around town. Theres also the decreased boot space. Whatever Lancer you bought, there should be no regret. Regardless of performance, its a well built car thats no less handsome than an Audi and with world-class safety.[/quote:687dd23e9b] It is not about need, it is about want. If it were about need, we would be all driving round in cheap Cherry cars or something!! I had my ES for almost 3 years, now I have the focus. I love the power I love the seats, I love that it is european. Do I need either the lancer or the focus no. I could drive around in my 2000 excel runabout if I wanted and not have a turbo car. Yes the RA costs more to maintain, uses more fuel, but it does not ride any less compliant than any other CJ. The boot space is still quite acceptable. I had a full size spare in my ES and that made the boot about the same volume as the RA. Andrew, at the end of the day, if you really want an RA or another performance car thats fair enough, but I guess you just have to wait till the point where your current car is at the right age for the changeover to be financially viable :)[/quote:a6721e4f36] Yeah I guess its more on the desire than necessity. Maybe the harder ride is because of the 18 wheels and lower profile rubber as compared to the Platinums 16s. But can you confirm that the VRX and Ralliart ride the same? At the end of the day, the Ralliart isnt for everyone. Its not something Id recommend to Mum and Dad, for one thing. Another bloke may choose to spend the same money for the cheapest new BMW (118i) because of the badge image and better made interior, but he only gets mediocre performance from a car that doesnt look that good and is quite small inside.

I can't confirm technically that they ride the same, but have been in both many times, and do not really notice a difference in ride comfort.

The lower profile tyres will definitely have an effect.

When I got the ES, I couldn't understand why anyone would buy anything other than the Lancer in that price bracket, yet Mazda 3 outsells Lancer. It is all personal preference.

It all depends on what you want in a car. If the RA had Recaros, I could very well be driving one now rather than the XR5.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:24 am

squala wrote:But can you confirm that the VRX and Ralliart ride the same?

Stuff that's the same:
1. Chassis
2. Steering column
3. Center console
4. Seats
5. Insulation
6. Headlights
7. Tail lights
8. Interior Trims
9. Petrol Tank Size
10. Sideskirts
11. Mirrors
12. Headunits
13. Paddle Shifters
14. Wheels
15. Shocks

Stuff that's different
1. Front Bumper Bar
2. Rear Bumper Bar
3. Engine
4. Rear Diff
5. AWD
6. Front Brake callipers

EDITED:

7. Springs
8. Steering wheel

So it's really the main aesthetics and the engine bay that's different.
Last edited by ofey on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 am

The steering wheel and gearbox is different aswell and i remember reading it somewhere that the spring rate for the RA vs VRX is different, being that the RA has a higher spring rate, can someone verify this ?
Lancer Evolution 10MR

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 am

Probably right Lee, but with the added weight of the RA's running gear it would most likely counteract the stiffer springs.

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

"The bigger sticker price is all just ego crap. The more expensive the car the bigger the wanker ratio."

The amount of crap that flies around this forum is astounding.

I bought an Evo because I worked hard for it and decided long and hard what my priority's were. Thats like me saying everyone who bought an NA lancer is a tight ass.

Just be happy with the car you have - and if your not, do something about it. But dont hack down on other people because of what they worked hard for.

You can come up with as many negative aspects as you want, but anyone who buys an Evo or ralliart is more then aware of the costs of running it.

You gotta pay to play - Such is life
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 pm

In the end, it's all about buying a car for the right reasons. Make yourself (and perhaps your family) happy and not others. Many people asked me why I got a Lancer instead of something else. It's true that other cars rank higher in comparison tests, but that doesn't mean those cars are absolutely better. I had a list of cars to choose from, until deal-breakers crossed out the rest of them. That's why I'm posting on these forums now.
///// /////

7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 am

PsyTrix wrote:The bigger sticker price is all just ego crap. The more expensive the car the bigger the wanker ratio.

One cannot deny that.

PsyTrix wrote:The amount of crap that flies around this forum is astounding.

If every view that crosses yours is crap, then I would have to agree.

PsyTrix wrote:I bought an Evo because I worked hard for it and decided long and hard what my prioritys were.

Good on you!
I don't think anyone has a go at Evo owners who worked hard for their cars.
Those that buy it on instalments then struggle on all other fronts, that's something else.
But there are many people who do these things.
What about those who buy modded ES for A$25K, mod them more but still have A$20K in repayments left?
Those are the people I have a problem with.
Definitely not you.

If you read carefully what I said, it depends on purpose and what the driver wants out of it.

PsyTrix wrote:Thats like me saying everyone who bought an NA lancer is a tight ass.

Most people naturally are you know?

PsyTrix wrote: Just be happy with the car you have - and if your not, do something about it. But dont hack down on other people because of what they worked hard for.

I don't see any hacking occuring. If you worked hard for your Evo, you deserve it.

PsyTrix wrote:You can come up with as many negative aspects as you want, but anyone who buys an Evo or ralliart is more then aware of the costs of running it.

You'll be surprised about that. The reason you find RAs on the 2nd hand market is the shock many people get after they take it for service 2.

PsyTrix wrote:You gotta pay to play - Such is life

Amen... .
Imagine how much the R35 owner is paying to play.
But if he's merely driving from A->B and doing it in peak hour traffic daily, that's alot to pay for non-existant play.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

INVUR-1
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby INVUR-1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 am

Yea true, i mainly drive from home to work (bayswater to city) everyday and always stuck in traffic most day doing 40 - 60km on eastern freeway between bullen and chandler hwy traffic are shocking!!

So it really not much for pay to play theory there :(
(cj-black) oO~`AnDreW Black CJ VIC`~Oo (cj-black)

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”