***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

performance chip?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

hyperlite662
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

performance chip?

Postby hyperlite662 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:54 am

i was wondering if anyone had or has performance chip in there lancers?
if you do an like it let me know where an how much
if you think its goin to blow up the car or just bad for it, that be great to know to haha

thanks for any help, info, advice

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Yes and no.

We do not have chips for our cars. We just reprogram the ECU. Each tune is done to suit the mods. The biggest issue with our Lancers is they run very rich. Lean them out gets more power. You can adjust MIVEC and timing maps for minor power and response gains to. The more you push these things the more risk for something to go wrong. No one we know of has damaged their car yet. Our Lancers are full of safety controls in them which makes them very hard to blow up.

All this is best done by a tuner. Cost can vary. Starting from $200 and up to a $1000.

We have a special tuning section on Club CJ for premium members. $40 payment and many answers to your questions in depth.

hyperlite662
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby hyperlite662 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:44 pm

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Hey Joshua, your links don't work.

And if you google "performancechiptuning +scam"

You can read all about it on the first couple of links.

The only recognised ways of tuning the 2008+ Lancer are through OpenECU's ECUFlash and via Cobb's Access Port. Both are simply software. You still need an experienced tuner to adjust the parameters for you.

You must also sensibly realise, tuning a stock car will do little for you.
and even if you change your air intake, extractors and exhaust, you're still not going to boost yourself by turbo levels.

In auto modding, you usually get what you pay.
If a US$69.99 mod was going to do to all that to a car, the company would have gone global... .
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

hyperlite662
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby hyperlite662 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:07 pm

how about this
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=518

not to keen on these things but yea i was told to get my ecu flashed by works but idk what a flash does. then get this?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 pm

The concept you have to grasp is that the car is controlled by the ECU. The ECU being a computer has tables and maps which tells the car how to behave at what load, RPM, Speed, throttle, fuel type and air temperature.

The chips you refer to "work" on a principle of changing the electrical signal to the ECU puts out or senses. These are the piggy backs referred to in the long intro to your Works flash. Technically useless scams as the changes are not permanent and rarely can one chip fix all cars.

A Flash tune basically makes use of the OpenECU tuning knowledge base to directly change the values in the ECU's tables and maps. That's what works will do. The thing you have to consider though is that the changes Works will make to your ECU is minimal. They are generic changes at best and you get perhaps a slight improvement of things. Also bear in mind there is NO WAY they can verify their flash since your car is NOT There with them if you mail in your ECU.

The other point to note is if you change things on your cars like your intake, extractor or exhaust, you would need to retune your car again. Then what do you do? All tunes are custom, they only work for the car, the maps and tables are set for.

It sounds all dandy having a tuned car but it's not a straightforward bump on and go faster solution.

Follow the normal plan of attack:
1. Change intake (either a performance Panel Filter or CAI or if you have a RA hood with vents, you could consider a SRI). Breathes well.
2. Change your exhaust muffler (this should allow your car to exhale better) and give it some grunt
3. Change your extractors and the center pipework.

Now the air ways are clear and your car is at its most ready for the tune.

You might want to push it some more by changing your cams but that will most definitely void your engine warranty.

These changes will improve performance of the car.

You still have to juggle finances to improve handling and braking.
Good luck!
Last edited by ofey on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

hyperlite662
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby hyperlite662 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:29 pm

ok i think i understand a bit better now.
thanks for all your help and explanations Irving.

thanks again

jmannewitz
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby jmannewitz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:37 am

these posts have been great! thanks for the information. I actually purchased the $50 performance Chip from http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/ and the chip did nothing for me (except now I have cut wiring to the IAT and wish I never did it). Have been trying to figure out how to boost my ES and so I am starting with the intake and exhaust. I figure this is the right place to start.

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

jmannewitz wrote: how to boost my ES and so I am starting with the intake and exhaust. I figure this is the right place to start.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/in ... cts_id=286

IMO, The best way to boost is with boost. I'd love to have that, just a matter of getting the funds together

Return to “Electrical”