***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

A good car secuity system?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Aaron2550
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

A good car secuity system?

Postby Aaron2550 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi, I'm after a pretty good system for the lancer but I don't know anything about them so maybe someone on here has had experience with buying and could recommend one?
I'm willing to pay up to a grand or even more, I care that much lol.
I don't have anything inside the car worth stealing(too me) mainly just want to stop the car itself form being stolen, also if you've had your car broken into or even taken in the past post the story here.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 pm

I have a python alarm system in my car. You gotta make sure you get an alarm system that can intergrate into the factory CAN-BUS wiring system. When I got my alarm done it was rather soon after the car was released. I got my alarm done in 2008. Spent $600 installed. It has the option for remote start and a few other things but I left them out since its manual and didnt really want to take the risk lol
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

emmet-93
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby emmet-93 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:25 pm

hey tadzorz, where would you go to get an upgraded system like the one you have? is it an OEM or third-party/aftermarket?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu May 26, 2011 7:32 pm

@tadz: python? I've heard of VIPER. Is python the cheaper relative which is why you got your keys locked in the car?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Re: A good car secuity system?

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Aaron2550 wrote:Hi, I'm after a pretty good system for the lancer but I don't know anything about them so maybe someone on here has had experience with buying and could recommend one?
I'm willing to pay up to a grand or even more, I care that much lol.
I don't have anything inside the car worth stealing(too me) mainly just want to stop the car itself form being stolen, also if you've had your car broken into or even taken in the past post the story here.

If you are mainly after something to stop your car being stolen then the immobiliser in the car stock should suffice.

At the end of the day, being a run of the mill Lancer the car will only be stolen for a joyride etc. Being a CANBUS based car, they are quite difficult to steal unless they have your key.

If the car was more exotic, they would just drag it onto a tilt tray and they have it whether the alarm is going off or not.

If you really want to add an alarm as Tadz says get one that integrates as otherwise you will be carrying another dongle for the alarm as well as your key etc.

@ Ofey... BAM!!!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I am with Shane, no need to fit an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer.

Even with the best system fitted to your car it is only as safe as where you keep your keys. Thieves only need the keys to take your car. Many will just walk up to you and threaten you until you hand them your keys. No alarm will protect you against that.

Aaron2550
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Aaron2550 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm

hmm yeah I guess you're right, I was just thinking about it today, say I had an evo 10 what would be the go? I do plan on getting one in 2013 after I come off my P's.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu May 26, 2011 8:10 pm

RA and EVO come with a quite comprehensive security system as well, so again there is really no need to upgrade.

Most performance cars have a factory alarm, as you would never get them insured if they didn't.

Aaron2550
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Aaron2550 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Ok that sounds good enough for me, thanks for the info.

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 pm

I parked next to a Ralliart once and noticed inside that the little red LED next to the hazard button was blinking like most cars do. Is this the added security features?

How come our cars don't blink??

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 pm

ofey wrote:@tadz: python? I've heard of VIPER. Is python the cheaper relative which is why you got your keys locked in the car?

I know the two are pretty much the same thing. I heard that VIPER was just the american name for it or something

And I only locked the keys in the car because of the saftey feature that I managed to void with my uber skillz :D
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!

Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu May 26, 2011 9:19 pm

Alileighju wrote:I parked next to a Ralliart once and noticed inside that the little red LED next to the hazard button was blinking like most cars do. Is this the added security features?

The light is to say the alarm is armed.

Why would you consider a $1k alarm for a lancer? :?
Troy and Shane are right. If they want it they're going to get it.
They're either pros and have the means, or they're thugs who if they can't steal it, will probably smash your windows in and dent all your panels for fun.
If you lose your car, thats what insurance is for.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 pm

The immobiliser should be enough for most of our needs. Out of the equivalent-sized cars, the Lancer is pretty high-up when it comes to the theft resistance of the immobiliser.

See here:
http://www.nrma.com.au/keeping-safe-sec ... bles.shtml

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Funny how the ES scores higher than the other models...

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Thu May 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I think it's to do with how attractive the car is to property theft as well. An MMCS would be something that appears more worthwhile than a base CD player. There's not much on the stock ES, especially compared with the VRX and Aspire.

Return to “General Talk”