***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

SA new defect laws.

Local SA & NT State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

SA new defect laws.

Postby RyanMK » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Just a heads up in case there are still unaware SA members out there. :)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/motorists-slugged-for-defects/story-e6frea6u-1226058563490
VEHICLE owners hit with defect notices will have to pay new on-the-spot fines, expected to rake in millions for the State Government.

The new fines - $120 for a minor defect and $250 for a major defect - will apply from July 1.

Minor defects include bald tyres, faulty brake lights and broken windscreen wipers, while major defects include faulty brakes, illegal modifications and faulty suspension. Defect notices do not currently incur a fine, although a vehicle owner must pay $26 to have the notice removed after repairs are made.

The Motor Trade Association's SA president, Colin Clark, said a blown light bulb was an example of a fault which would incur a $120 fine and a defect sticker.

"That motorist will have to have the defect repaired and then drive out to the Regency Park (the Transport Department's) inspection facility or a police station and pay to have the sticker removed," Mr Clark said.

"Surely, police resources are better used on community safety than removing defect notices."

The Government last night played down suggestions the move was a sneaky revenue-raising measure.

Asked last night if the Government had intended to inform motorists about the new fines, a spokesman for Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said "it was in the Budget papers, which were released in September last year".

"It's never been a secret," he said.

The fine print of last September's Budget papers reveals that the Government expects to receive $7.9 million in revenue over three years from the new fines.

But Mr Conlon's spokesman denied the measure was intended to raise revenue.

He said the new system was designed to make it "fairer" for drivers who had minor defects and needed to go to the Regency Park inspection station.

"It's not revenue raising, it's about increasing road safety and getting bad cars off the road," he said.

In response, MTA executive director John Chapman said: "I do not think it will be fairer."

He said motorists could take their car to their local police station and have the defect sticker removed, but under the new system, they would have to pay a fine as well.

He said the introduction of the new system highlighted the fact that road worthiness was a problem.

In the latest edition of the MTA's Motor Trade magazine, Mr Clark also writes that car mechanics should have the power to issue defect notices on cars at the time of compulsory inspections - whenever a vehicle changes owners.

The MTA is campaigning for certified service centres to inspect vehicles and have the power to remove defect stickers imposed by police.

Mr Clark told The Advertiser he believed qualified mechanics in well-equipped service centres were better able to evaluate the roadworthiness of a vehicle than a police officer was at a police station.

He said the State Government could empower the vehicle repair and service industry to make the repair and then remove a defect notice - under a "simple and regulated system".

He questioned if the new process was purely about road safety, or government revenue raising.

"If the Government was genuinely looking to increase road safety by the removal of unroadworthy vehicles they would look at mandatory vehicle inspections ... at change of ownership," Mr Clark said.

Mr Conlon's spokesman said the Transport Department would continue discussions with the MTA about its concerns, including this issue.

RAA safety manager Wendy Bevan said the RAA did not want mandatory inspections at change of ownership.

"We support random roadside inspections, by police or authorised inspectors," she said.

She said cars could be worked on to pass an inspection if it were known one was being made, and then become unroadworthy again later. Random roadside checks would overcome that.

She said the RAA would need to examine how the process of new fines for defects would work before commenting.

SA Police said only minor defects which did not require mechanical expertise were referred to police stations; more complex defects went to qualified mechanics at the Transport Department's inspection station.

Opposition transport spokesman Steven Griffiths said SA had one of the oldest vehicle fleets in the nation and it was important for road safety they were kept in roadworthy condition.
Last edited by RyanMK on Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun May 22, 2011 11:52 pm

That's definitely not revenue raising at all </sarcasm>

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 am

Seriously... What is going on in this country? Why dont they just make us all pay 25 dollars every time we get into our cars?

I'm sure this stupidity will spread to other states within time.

Some comments regarding this story:

"How can they do this? its not right and we need to fight back! It would be ok if the car rules were within reason but the truth is a police officer can defect a brand new car that just rolled off the line...its a system of control and revenue raising not safety."

"all those people out there talking about coming down hard on bad tyres need to stop and think.....what constitutes a defectable tyre? "if it shows treadlines?" while you think this is striaght forward i was breathtested in northadelaide and the officer said the tyres were defectable, she let me go with a warning (i thought they had heaps of tread left!), ...got breath tested in tailembend two weeks later bloke looked at my tyres not a word? then asked my mechanic said they were fine! WTF! honestly this is going to hammer young people because police can defect anything, they know it, you know it, so you keep your mouth shut and hope he or she wont be too hard on you. now that money is involved commonsense will head out the window, do half the people reading this know where the treadline is on there tyres?? you may think its not bald but is it still defectable?....good luck and drive safe"

- Glad I dont live in that state!
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 am

If police all had a consistant and clear understanding of the law this would be a much smaller problem, but the fact is they don't. Even if they did, I don't agree with it.

It is an endless pursuit to find new ways to nanny.

Everybody has heard stories about cops abusing their power or getting it wrong or contradicting each-other. The system should be modified to reduce that factor, rather than increase it like this will.

Increasing an individual officer's power is not the same as improving the system.

Furthermore, an example:
The people who have bald tyres are either:
Bastards who don't care about the safety of those around them.
People with no money.
Or people who know zilch about cars.

In all three cases, how does an on-the-spot fine make a difference?
They'll still be a bastard (the fine will be less than the cost of new tyres so why change your ways?)
They'll have even less money.
Or they'll have a fine, when they would have changed their ways from the inconvenience of a defect sticker anyway.

What I think this does is makes things worse for the majority of us, to target the minority. The minority, I think, are the people who take off the defected part to clear the inspection and then whack it straight back on again.
How many people die from a noisy muffler or an illegal intake? Is it worth making life potentially harder for the rest of us if the cop isn't in a good mood?
If I'm right, what about fines just for repeat-offenders?

These things always get me worked up.

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Mon May 23, 2011 7:54 pm

some of the cop are just bastards here - any reason for a defect and often don't even know the ADR! prime example i was defected for the stock bov lol
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

TPG
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TPG » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Certainly does seem SA is tougher than what i was used to in WA

Mickyj63
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mickyj63 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm

yeah i was picked up a few months back by a cop .while driving my AU my own fault I was day dreaming missed the two turns I could have taken to get to my folks place .
didnt do anything wrong did a u turn went down airport rd all of a sudden lights and sirens are going .I'm thinking I'm not speeding my music is loud (im 48 so not duff duff).Pulls me over gets my licence new address is on the back .i was defected but he didnt process it as it was a blown globe in my brake light . He said get it fixed and throw away the defect.
He then followed up holdbrooks rd and guess what I counted 6 cars with globes gone in their tail lights .He didnt stop them lol .
Funny now they will issue a defect fine mmm
And what about the rgeo stickers we dont get issued anymore .is it true we drive in to Victoria we get defected for no rego sticker !!! give me a break
My 2011 sx the best damn car Ive ever owned or driven !!!

Return to “South Australia & Northern Territory”