***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Evo X leaking oil

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mrevo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Evo X leaking oil

Postby mrevo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:33 pm

My Evo X has started leaking oil, only done 12000 kms. I think it is coming from the sst gear box.
I have booked it in to get looked at but I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas where it could be leaking from.

Cheers Brad
White EVO 10 MR

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Gearbox or engine is the most likely.

How much oil is there? Check the engine oil. Have you had to put oil in it?

If it is an issue with the SST and under warranty, they are just swapping out the box.

Aaron2550
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Aaron2550 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

What a Sh*t box car jk
reading stuff like this would put me off form buying one, my lancer has never missed a beat so far tho

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Aaron2550 wrote:What a Sh*t box car jk
reading stuff like this would put me off form buying one, my lancer has never missed a beat so far tho

Massed produced cars Aaron, in every mass production line there is bound to always be a couple of defects in every couple of thousand units made that is why warranty is provided. The NA lancer just before my model had a recall notice for poorly constructed tires I think it was.

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Don't stress mate, oil leaks are a warranty issue. Get on to Mitsubishi ASAP.

Cheers
John

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Matt I hope you get the oil leaked fixed quickly. It is best to let mitsubishi to check it, but a good way to work out where it is leaking from is to put a special die in the oil and then check the car with a special light.

The leak was probably caused by the previous owner thrashing it :razz:(Just joking Lee)

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Chubb wrote:
Aaron2550 wrote:What a Sh*t box car jk

Massed produced cars Aaron, in every mass production line there is bound to always be a couple of defects in every couple of thousand units made that is why warranty is provided. The NA lancer just before my model had a recall notice for poorly constructed tires I think it was.

Example of Mass produced cars with fault/oil leak: Holden commo Ve when they first came out. Leaked oil straight from factory. Response from holden was "Unless its dripping on the ground during pre inspection just wipe it off"
Or the Infamaous engine rattle in the ls1 vy engines. "remove*this much* from engine oil dip stick and add extra oil"

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi there is a problem on some sst transmissions with a fracture in the oil filter mount this is a dealer notice which means when you put car in for service they check and replace if neccessary. This may be the source of your leak if its transmission fluid.

How bad is it? And what color is the oil?

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:39 pm

In regards to faults in new cars these are measured as TGW (things gone wrong) per thousand cars.

This is shared between car companies in Australia but not released to the public when i was a manager at ford the benchmark was around 900 to 1200 TGW.

In America J D Power keep and publish these figures their latest report has just been released.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:44 pm

aspir3 wrote:The leak was probably caused by the previous owner thrashing it :razz:(Just joking Lee)

lol wassup ? i reckon it might be a faulty sump plug or someone left out the washer during oil change , best to bring it to mitsu and check :)
Lancer Evolution 10MR

mrevo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby mrevo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

El-Diablo wrote:Hi there is a problem on some sst transmissions with a fracture in the oil filter mount this is a dealer notice which means when you put car in for service they check and replace if neccessary. This may be the source of your leak if its transmission fluid.

How bad is it? And what color is the oil?

The leak is not bad and the oil colour is a light yellow.

Took it to a dealer today and you are spot on about the SST trans oil filter leaking.
Parts will take about 3 weeks to come from Japan.
Told me its ok to drive just keep an eye on it.
White EVO 10 MR

Return to “Maintenance”