***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RPW Tuning Day NSW Saturday / Sunday 27/28th November

Local NSW State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

vlad_the_impaler
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vlad_the_impaler » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Hey David any plans to visit Melbourne soon aswell ? :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks again David. Champion effort there.

So far the fuel consumption is going up because I keep erm.. 'exploring' the car but I just refilled with a full tank last night and am gonna see how much I can get out of it.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

MJL1217
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby MJL1217 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm

SAM-24A wrote:Yes Mani.
However I suggest you opt for the Full Dyno Tune which is much better than just the generic RPW Flash.

If you read through RPW's R&D Flashing post, he is always suggesting you check the AFR's (Air-Fuel Ratios) as a precaution after flashing your ECU with his Re-Flash.

The only way you can do that, is to put the car on a Dyno such as TuneHouse's Dyna Pack Hub Dyno (best)
That will cost a few hundred $$$ not sure exactly, just to check the AFR's

A Full Dyno Tune from TuneHouse for a NA Lancer is $580.

Sam.

Wow 580$$ !! well i'll have to wait a couple more weeks to get this done! and if my results come back as great as yours did, it would be money well spent :) ty

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:39 pm

On another note, what's so important about checking AFR after flashing with this tune? Isn't that already considered in the tune?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:47 pm

JaCe wrote:On another note, what's so important about checking AFR after flashing with this tune? Isn't that already considered in the tune?

If the Air Fuel Ratio is too lean then the engine is likely to overheat internal parts and break bits off before destroying the whole motor.

fazzle
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fazzle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:29 pm

aspir3 wrote:
JaCe wrote:On another note, what's so important about checking AFR after flashing with this tune? Isn't that already considered in the tune?

If the Air Fuel Ratio is too lean then the engine is likely to overheat internal parts and break bits off before destroying the whole motor.

In turbo cars it's CRITICAL to ensure the engine does not run too lean...if it does it goes BANG... detonation is not pretty. Look on evoM, a few Xs have had lean outs under load and gone bang.

Holes in the block, melted pistons, chewed rods hehe

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Had of i known there is a risk of engine trouble from it running to lean from the reflash i would of had 2nd thoughts on getting it done. Though my bad for not doing enough research on the re-flash.
So has anyone that has done a reflash experienced any engine problems in NA Lancers? Should i go to tunehouse and get the Dyno tune?
If it is running to lean,wouldnt that show on the fuel economy?? E.g using less fuel than normal??

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:31 pm

fazzle wrote:
aspir3 wrote:

In turbo cars it's CRITICAL to ensure the engine does not run too lean...if it does it goes BANG... detonation is not pretty. Look on evoM, a few Xs have had lean outs under load and gone bang.

Holes in the block, melted pistons, chewed rods hehe

I see... so as a simpleton, what's the easiest way to monitor my air/fuel ratio (other than installing a gauge for it), and what is a normal level?

fazzle
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fazzle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm

JaCe wrote:I see... so as a simpleton, what's the easiest way to monitor my air/fuel ratio (other than installing a gauge for it), and what is a normal level?

On a dyno, with their sensor shoved up the tail pipe.

Wideband sensor and gauge installed.

That's it.

The standard oxygen sensor does not have the required range, these are narrowband sensors.

A save level for a turbo car will vary on mods etc but generally mid 12s is considered safe.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Damn... I didn't realise I"d need to do anything further after adding in David's tune for the X.

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Eeek I didnt know about this?? Now Im worried about putting an intake kit on too

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 pm

Eeek I didnt know about this?? Now Im worried about putting an intake kit on too

Usif
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Usif » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 pm

liam92 wrote:Eeek I didnt know about this?? Now Im worried about putting an intake kit on too

I Think everyone got a little worried, just need re-assurance for NA Lancers..

fazzle
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fazzle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 pm

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 am

Dave @ RPW wrote:
PostPosted: Mon 24 May 2010 2 11 pm
The generic flash stage 1 tune is worth $75.00. This still needs to be checked on the dyno though.

JaCe wrote:
Posted: Sun 17 Oct 2010 7 29 pm
Sorry I'm a bit new to this but I've got an Injen SRI and about to order the HKS Hi-Po Exhaust. If I were to buy your dyno map for $75, what else do I need to make it work? An OpenECU chip?
I'm starting to think it might be safer & easier just to get it all tuned at a local (Sydney) tuning house.

Link for both the above Posts = http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=125042#125042

JaCe also wrote in this thread:
On another note, what's so important about checking AFR after flashing with this tune? Isn't that already considered in the tune?

No two engines are the same, even more-so if they are production line engines manufactured with-in a tolerance range.
Remember, these Flash tunes are developed in WA under different ambient temps, barometric pressures and humidity levels.
And the flash is developed on an engine which in most cases is equipped and set-up with different brand, type and/or designed mods to that which you have on your engine.
There is simply no way anyone can guarantee the modified tune will suit another engine in another place under different environmental conditions and altered state of modifications.

"Why do you think Dave continually mentions you should check your AFR's after flashing your ECU with one of his new tunes". Both NA & Turbo.
The only way you can check your AFR's correctly and accurately is on a Dyno such as TuneHouse's Dyna-Pack Hub Dyno.
Ring and speak to Jim at TuneHouse: 9557-4000.
Hitman & I have had the full Dyno Tune done with great results.

Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Return to “New South Wales”