***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Polishing car for the first time,what polish to use?

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Polishing car for the first time,what polish to use?

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 am

Was thinking Meguires Tech Wax?? Car is 4 months old,i did not have paint protection put on. Or do i need to use a paint cleaner first?? Or shall i just wait a bit longer??

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 am

Wash it, clay it and then use a good wax like the one you stated. The difference shows!, never too early or too late to use wax.
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:21 am

No probs i have heard good things about that clay bar,might give that a go. The surface does feel just a tad rough.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:23 am

AUTOGLYM FTW :D, all I have ever used I polished mine about a week after getting it with the ultra deep shine then used some aqua wax. It has now been three weeks and 2500 kms since I last washed and it still out shines any of the new cars in the carpark :P

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:42 am

MrEs wrote:I might be going off an a little bit of a tangent here, but just to make it clear, WAX and POLISH are VERY different things.

On a simple level,
Wax adds a sealant barrier against contaminants. This is about PROTECTING your car/paint job.
Polish is, well, polishing. This is ABRASIVE process and in a sense strips away and your paint thickness until it's a nice consistent finish. Almost like sanding.

You should wax your car often to protect and maintain your paint job.

You should only wax your car when the paint job becomes damaged, dull or flat. Usually every ~3-5 years for a regular every day car.

I'm a first level qualified Meguiars detailer, and I would still not polish my own car as it's a difficult and abrasiveness process and a true honest polish can only ever be achieved with an orbital.

So in your opinion, i shouldnt clay bar and use tech wax after??

AUSSIECJ
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AUSSIECJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:55 am

i just use meguiars ultimate wash and wax. i havent found a proper wax i wanna use yet, but the ultimate wash and wax really does a nice job
I LOVE HATERS ;)
By aussiecj at 2010-09-20

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:08 am

No probs thanks for the replies,i might try the clay bar trick.

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 am

AUSSIECJ wrote:i just use meguiars ultimate wash and wax. i havent found a proper wax i wanna use yet, but the ultimate wash and wax really does a nice job

Your car is fairly new isnt it? You have any scratches or swirl marks yet?? So far my paint is the same as when it was when i drove out of the dealers :)

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 am

I use Meguiars Wet Look deep crystal - perfect results.

I also use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish on a bright red car that I have and it also works well.

I must admit I don't wax them after - I probably should!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

AUSSIECJ
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AUSSIECJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30 am

GlenoCJ wrote:
AUSSIECJ wrote:i just use meguiars ultimate wash and wax. i havent found a proper wax i wanna use yet, but the ultimate wash and wax really does a nice job

Your car is fairly new isnt it? You have any scratches or swirl marks yet?? So far my paint is the same as when it was when i drove out of the dealers :)

yeah ive had my car for like 2 months now. and its still the same
I LOVE HATERS ;)

By aussiecj at 2010-09-20

kean
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kean » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:50 am

Since your car is brand new, I don’t see the purpose to clay bar & polish it (well, depends on how badly the paint is contaminated though).

Just wash, wax (I use Meguiar’s Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax), and top with spray wax to enhance the wax that you applied (I use Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Wax).

After weeks, if the car is not very dirty to get it washed but you wanna maintain the shiny look & cleanliness, you can use Meguiar's Waterless Body Duster, then Meguiar's Waterless Spray Detailer, and finish with Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Wax.

P/S: I do not work for Meguiar’s :P

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 am

I've clayed bar my car less than a month after getting it off the dealer brand new. And trust me, it's not as clean as it looks.

Just clay bar the parts of the paint that feels rough.
Last edited by RyanMK on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 am

kean wrote:Since your car is brand new, I don’t see the purpose to clay bar & polish it (well, depends on how badly the paint is contaminated though).

Just wash, wax (I use Meguiar’s Deep Crystal System Carnauba Wax), and top with spray wax to enhance the wax that you applied (I use Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Wax).

After weeks, if the car is not very dirty to get it washed but you wanna maintain the shiny look & cleanliness, you can use Meguiar's Waterless Body Duster, then Meguiar's Waterless Spray Detailer, and finish with Meguiar’s Ultimate Quick Wax.

P/S: I do not work for Meguiar’s :P

I can vouch that Kean's car looks fabulous.

They are all wise words above I wonder where you learnt all that. :razz:

Return to “Exterior”