***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

EVO X hood VS stock lancer gts/vrx hood

Exterior Parts/Accessories & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Honestly if you are trying to save weight on your car there are plenty of other areas where you can legally (and safely) do so other than the hood. However if you are doing it for the appearance then go for CF wrap. You can either get a pre-wrapped part off eBay or one of many other dealers around, or you can get the CF wrap done directly onto your own bonnet (this is a very affordable option and a few of my mates have done this).

Be warned though- the CF wrap is not suitable for the turbocharged Lancers which get extremely hot and I reckon the tape/wrap will melt and bubble in those cases.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 pm

Its not illegal, just not legal if not homologated on the vehicle at time of import and specified by manufacturer. Have you seen any late model Lambos or Bugattis in Australia?! Yeah, they all have pure carbon fibre bonnets.

If you have one on your car and it crashes though, your insurer may not allow any claim, due to inherent damage caused because of non-engineered parts added to your car, such as CF bonnet, boot, doors, front clips etc...

I would say to you, that when Shadows comes out with his RA bonnet, which will be alloy, then we should consider a group buy (it will be a slow process, because it will be sea-freight, but imagine how trick the cars will all look!)

For your consideration!

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 pm

tryg wrote:Its not illegal, just not legal if not homologated on the vehicle at time of import and specified by manufacturer. Have you seen any late model Lambos or Bugattis in Australia?! Yeah, they all have pure carbon fibre bonnets.

If you have one on your car and it crashes though, your insurer may not allow any claim, due to inherent damage caused because of non-engineered parts added to your car, such as CF bonnet, boot, doors, front clips etc...

I would say to you, that when Shadows comes out with his RA bonnet, which will be alloy, then we should consider a group buy (it will be a slow process, because it will be sea-freight, but imagine how trick the cars will all look!)

For your consideration!

shadow isnt making alloy bonnets anymore, the machine to make them cost to much for the very little of them he will sell. so he has dropped the idea for a alloy bonnet.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 pm

tryg wrote:Its not illegal, just not legal if not homologated on the vehicle at time of import and specified by manufacturer. Have you seen any late model Lambos or Bugattis in Australia?! Yeah, they all have pure carbon fibre bonnets.

For your consideration!

So all those Seibon CF hoods and so forth from the states which retail between $500 and $700usd are just CF wrapped fibreglass hoods... where's the incentive to buy these over just getting the wrap yourself?

On another note, at least if it's CF wrap and not pure CF, it'll be less of an issue in an accident right?

ps. Coincidentally with strong AUD/USD I'm surfing lancershop and wondering if I wanted to spend $1300ish AUD for both CF hood and bootlid (not incl. shipping). HmmMmm!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

RibbandsJM
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby RibbandsJM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm

so with all this talk of CF being illegal, does that mean the guy in sydney who bought the Aston Martin one seven seven, which has a full carbonfibre body, will not be able to register it, because essentially their whole car is illigal
Last edited by RibbandsJM on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:15 pm

RibbandsJM wrote:so with all this talk of CF being illegal, does that mean the guy in sydney who bought the Austin Martin one seven seven, which has a full carbonfibre body, will not be able to register it, because essentially their whole car is illigal

No, he's car is legal as it was made that way. So when the ADR cert is given, it took intp account the cf material already.

The way the ADR works is that if you have a 3rd party or aftermarket part replacing the stock bonnet. That's what needs to be cleared by an engineering certificate or ADR.

And it's an Aston Martin .
the Austin is: Austin Healey
Last edited by ofey on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:46 am

Ive got to chip in here.

As someone who on a daily basis looks at the carbon/aluminium fight between weight ect I have to say carbon isnt always lighter. I can confidently say any CF bonnet you are buying for $700 isnt going to be lighter than an evo aluminium bonnet. The grade of carbon they would use isnt deigned for weight but instead aesthetics.

If we were spending $3000 then that might be a different case

big_d
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby big_d » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:57 am

I priced up a genuine Evo X bonnet from Mitsubishi NZ not long ago - they quoted $1,800 NZD un-painted. OUCH!

I forgot to ask them if they would do a buy back option of my VRX bonnet - if it at least halved the price - I would probably go for it.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:17 am

1 question , are you guys looking at getting the evo x hood mainly based on aesthetics or weight reduction wise ?

cause for the money your paying , the weight reduction isn't really worth it , it's better off shaving some off your interior/wheels or even your body :D
Lancer Evolution 10MR

emphat
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby emphat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:40 am

I can get the evo bonnet genuine for around 900 primered...from sydney...

Klue2k
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Klue2k » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:29 pm

emphat wrote:I can get the evo bonnet genuine for around 900 primered...from sydney...

can you get the ralliart one as well and if so how much?

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:35 pm

evo bonnet = ralliart bonnet
Lancer Evolution 10MR

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:49 pm

If you can get a Evo/RA Hood for A$900 primered, you are doing VERY VERY well.

Here's the official part:
MI-5900A244 HOOD RA/Evo Primed
RRP = A$1116+
CCJ Price = A$1090
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Klue2k
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Klue2k » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:45 pm

ofey, that doesn't include the 3 vents does it? as I recall including those the total for the bonnet would be $1700-$1800?

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 pm

dw , you can get rexpeed carbon vents for under $300 :)
Lancer Evolution 10MR

Return to “Exterior”