***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

LED SMD replacements for interior lights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Nah, I noticed when I grab a sleep in the car during my nightshifts, the dome light LEDs, maybe 3 or 4 of the 16 remain very dimmly one. After about 30 mins or so they're off.
I know ETACS does an auto cutoff on electrics if something is draining the battery (like if you leave the map or dome lights in the "ON" position and leave the car). Probably same thing is happening.
I've had the LEDs in for ages now, never had an issue even when I've been away and not driven the car for a few days, no issues starting up.
Think you're safe...
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 pm

I guess that's good news with the battery not being run flat.
I'll see how it goes. I keep my interior lights on DOOR most of the time, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 pm

VRX_Pete wrote:Nah, I noticed when I grab a sleep in the car during my nightshifts, the dome light LEDs, maybe 3 or 4 of the 16 remain very dimmly one. After about 30 mins or so they're off.
I know ETACS does an auto cutoff on electrics if something is draining the battery (like if you leave the map or dome lights in the "ON" position and leave the car). Probably same thing is happening.
I've had the LEDs in for ages now, never had an issue even when I've been away and not driven the car for a few days, no issues starting up.
Think you're safe...

That happens caues of what the ECU does to dim the halogen bulb that was in there, it reduces the voltage, in turn reduces the current,

In a LED if you reduce the Voltage, to a point under its junction breakdown(possibly not the right word)(which is about 2.4V in white/blue i believe.) then the LED will turn off.

you get a few turning on because the voltage drops to say 10V enough to keep the LED Lit normally, but across say 3-4 in series(what most LED products come in) coupled with the resistors to limit the current through the LED, the Voltage drop is to great.

the reason only a few turn on, is because of weird happenings in LED, so there is enough voltage to turn them on very dimly, but after say 1 or 2 LEDs voltage drops away and it dies, so with a few parallel/Series LED,s you get some on and some off when you dim LEDs the same way you would a halogen bulb.

its not something you can change it doesn't hurt the LED,s as there is barely any voltage or current going through them. its more of just an annoyance.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Blakey wrote:That happens caues of what the ECU does to dim the halogen bulb that was in there, it reduces the voltage, in turn reduces the current,

In a LED if you reduce the Voltage, to a point under its junction breakdown(possibly not the right word)(which is about 2.4V in white/blue i believe.) then the LED will turn off.

you get a few turning on because the voltage drops to say 10V enough to keep the LED Lit normally, but across say 3-4 in series(what most LED products come in) coupled with the resistors to limit the current through the LED, the Voltage drop is to great.

the reason only a few turn on, is because of weird happenings in LED, so there is enough voltage to turn them on very dimly, but after say 1 or 2 LEDs voltage drops away and it dies, so with a few parallel/Series LED,s you get some on and some off when you dim LEDs the same way you would a halogen bulb.

its not something you can change it doesn't hurt the LED,s as there is barely any voltage or current going through them. its more of just an annoyance.

Electrician-nerd! :)

ImageImage

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

anyone got the ebay link to white LED license plate replacement ? cheers !
Lancer Evolution 10MR

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 pm

whitemonster wrote:anyone got the ebay link to white LED license plate replacement ? cheers !

I got similar to these - just did search

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=W5W ... m270.l1313

These style more specifically..... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-Car-9-LED-SM ... 20b12a9ef6

ImageImage

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:53 pm

hi guys ,

know where i can look for those ultra bright reverse lights ?

cheers

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm

I haven't tried the LEDs in the Lancer yet, but the 6 SMD LEDs stay partially lit, even when I have the engine on.
I can't imagine that to be too good, so I've removed it from the Camry. I'll see how it goes in the Lancer tomorrow.

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 pm

So i bought a dome LED light, worked fine, then decided to buy some map lights... $4 so why not haha.

Week later (today) i get them, install, work perfect. BUT, one is white, one has a slight blue tinge. Go figure, be warned $4 wont always get the best. Other then that, they glow extremely bright, do not heat up much (when removing my old bulbs i got burned... LED's didnt even warm up)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 pm

dannyboi wrote:I haven't tried the LEDs in the Lancer yet, but the 6 SMD LEDs stay partially lit, even when I have the engine on.
I can't imagine that to be too good, so I've removed it from the Camry. I'll see how it goes in the Lancer tomorrow.

Did you try installing it the other way around, when i did it one way there was no power, flipped it around and voila. Pain in the ass but yeah haha
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:02 pm

I haven't tried it the other way around. I'll try it in the Lancer though, and see how it goes there.

Still waiting for the 8 SMD one for the main dome light.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 am

Just installed the 6 SMD LEDs to both the map lights and dome light. Obviously it's not bright enough for the dome light, but I'm still waiting for the larger 8 SMD LED to be delivered and it seems a bit weird having white and halogen-yellow light together.

Something I did notice is that the 31mm SMD LED didn't fit properly into the dome light clips. The original halogen bulbs have a tab which fits into the holes on the clips, whereas the LEDs just have the tapering ends.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:04 pm

whitemonster wrote:hi guys ,

know where i can look for those ultra bright reverse lights ?

cheers

just search on US ebay for 68LED T20

i have those in mine atm, i posted a picture somewhere. i dunno how they are on brightness, but for possibly brighter, look for 5050 LED T20 Bulbs,

and i have seen some 6chip Highpower SMD LED bulbs around but, they are hard to find
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Itachi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Itachi » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Something I did notice is that the 31mm SMD LED didn't fit properly into the dome light clips. The original halogen bulbs have a tab which fits into the holes on the clips, whereas the LEDs just have the tapering ends.

I had the same problem! I bought some 31mm 6 SMD LEDs off ebay and they didn't fit (as in I could squeeze them in but they gave off little to no light so I don't think they are able to connect properly) so I went this morning to Malz and bought some LEDs (not SMD though) 31mm with similar tabs to the original bulbs, but still they were too big... I have a 2010 lancer so I'm thinking maybe they have made the interior lights 28mm instead?

*sigh* I just want blue light in my car...this is becoming an expensive mod!
Like my car? Follow my fitness blog!

http://www.littleguylifting.com/

Return to “Lighting”