***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Maximum legal temperature for HID??

Local WA State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

dtrial
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Maximum legal temperature for HID??

Postby dtrial » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Hello guys,
I was wondering what is the maximum legal temperature for HIDs for WA?
I was thinking of getting a 6000k ones but some of my friend says that the maximum legal temperature for WA is 5000k? (he was unsure of it too)
Does anyone knows whether 6000k is still considered legal for WA?
Or have a link to where I can search for this information?

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm

I don't think there is a maximum legal temperature as HID's are frowned upon in reflector headlights so that alone could be worth a defect if the officer knows his stuff and wants to give you a sticker

Anything 6000k below should be fine though as it isn't too blue :)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Oh and try and keep HID discussion in this topic ;)

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=5406

I've had 6000k's in my car for probably 8-10 months, cops have never said anything about it.

I got lucky once though! shortly after I hit a kangaroo (which smashed my headlight) I was pulled over and they did the quick check of the car and somehow he didnt notice that my headlight was out :shock:

that's probably the closest legal trouble I've had with anything related to my headlights :P

ImageImage

dtrial
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby dtrial » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 pm

lol the cops are on crack themselves?? :shock:
anyways thanks for the info graham! :D
i'll try to repost in the link you posted for more infos!

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:48 pm

No worries, but beware lots of people hate HID's with a passion :P
personally I love 'em

ImageImage

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

my understanding is 6000k but who knows
i was driving behind a cop in the night down a steep heal getting my lights right in his mirror (just to see if hed pull me over) no response haha and im on my Ps so i think youll be fine

p.s I LOVE MY HIDs (6000k 35w)
Last edited by BR14AN on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 pm

HIDs are illegal in cars with reflector housings and where the HIDs are OEM-fitted.

That being said all OEM globes you'll find are 4300K and its the optics of the projector lenses that gives them a bluey tinge depending on the angle.

If you are going to do HIDs (keeping in mind they are illegal) then go for the 4300K as these are the easiest on your eyes, produce less glare and have the largest 'range'...

Red EVOX
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Red EVOX » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:03 am

smithsy wrote:HIDs are illegal in cars with reflector housings and where the HIDs are OEM-fitted.

That being said all OEM globes you'll find are 4300K and its the optics of the projector lenses that gives them a bluey tinge depending on the angle.

If you are going to do HIDs (keeping in mind they are illegal) then go for the 4300K as these are the easiest on your eyes, produce less glare and have the largest 'range'...

My uncles 2008 VRX 7 seater Outlander (the non lancer fronted model) came from factory with HID's in reflector housing headlights, also remember that it is a ADR requirement that HID equipped cars have to have headlight washers as well

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 am

That should read "and not OEM fitted" sorry.

Some have gotten away In the past, but now to my knowledge they need projector lenses, auto levellers and the washers nd be factory fitted in order to meet the ADR.

dtrial
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby dtrial » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 am

sorry newb question: whats a headlight washer? or can anyone please give me a link/pic of it?
Tried looking at yahoo but all they give is just "washing the headlight" image

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 am

Red EVOX wrote:
smithsy wrote:HIDs are illegal in cars with reflector housings and where the HIDs are OEM-fitted.

My uncles 2008 VRX 7 seater Outlander (the non lancer fronted model) came from factory with HID's in reflector housing headlights, also remember that it is a ADR requirement that HID equipped cars have to have headlight washers as well

there are 2 types of HID's, there is a speacial, type of HID that can go in a Reflector housing, but the housing is a HID reflector housing, not a halogen. if you look at the actual reflector they will be different to halogen reflectors,

the 2 types are the special type of one, has a metal, blocker built into the bulb.on one side of the bulb, but it still requires to be in a proper housing,

the other type is the general usual HID, that everyone knows about.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 am

dtrial wrote:sorry newb question: whats a headlight washer? or can anyone please give me a link/pic of it?
Tried looking at yahoo but all they give is just "washing the headlight" image

the headlight washer, is a high pressure, sprayer that is in the bumper of cars that have HID's, its an ADR requirement.

they are to remove dirt from the headlight housing to prevent stray glarey light coming from refraction off the dirt.

they are usualy bhind a little square under the HID projecton on the front bumper, they pop out when used

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 am

The head light washes only come on in my Aspire when the headlights are on and I wash the windscreen.

As Blake said they sit behind a rectangle piece of plastic that sits flush with the bumper when not being used. Once you active the windscreen washes they are pushed out from the bumper and spray windscreen washer fluid on to the light lenses. They are returned to the bumper with a spring. They are easy enough to pull out with your fingers.

FizyMo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby FizyMo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:28 am

Hey guys i have a projector for my headlights and was wondering wats the safest Kelvin i should buy?
or

does 6000k give u a bluish colour?
".FizyMo."

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:22 am

8000 is more of a blue colour than 6000, 6000 are more white than they are blue and are probably the better to get out of the two :)

ImageImage

Return to “Western Australia”