***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Who runs RON98 in their VRX?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

i have ran E10 in my car and the only thing i noticed is that i got about 20 more ks out of tank BUT that can be because of other reasons and not the fuel.

My dad has ran E10 in his MPS6 and said the car felt abit smoother.

dad has been doing alot of research on fuels and ALL of the fuels have Ethanol in them.

i havent noticed any diffrence in the octane levels the only think i notice is the diffrent branded fuels.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:31 pm

bd-850 wrote:dad has been doing alot of research on fuels and ALL of the fuels have Ethanol in them.

Certainly correct, depending on where you live.. The QLD Govt. mandated a minimum of 5% ethanol, in all fuels, by the end of 2010.

Same mandates failed in WA and Victoria continues to oppose moves along these lines..

We have yet to see it in QLD, 98 RON fuel has not yet been tainted...

Happy to keep buying cheaper fuel with higher RON levels... as long as the car is happy.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:53 pm

dad said something about the fuels have been running Etanol since 1995 or something like that, its been for awhile now

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:46 pm

maybe where you live.. but QLD 98 RON fuels are currently not mixed with ethanol.. hence the very public plan to add 5%.

milli
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby milli » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 am

just a fyi
my dad drives a 03 toyota corolla i tired the e10 on it for a period and the car started having trouble starting up (igniting) it would jus struggle b4 it ignited
so i thought i havent been doing anything difference to the car besides the e10
so i stoped using e10 never had the struggling ignition again.
after that i never brought any e10 anymore for any of our cars
i would never put e10 in my lancer!

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:48 am

As far as I am aware none of the 98RON fuels from BP/Caltex/Shell in NSW have ethanol mixed (because if they do they are supposed to have it written on the bowser), it's only that all normal unleaded now has to be transitioned to E10 instead. Ethanol has a RON rating of something around 120-130 IIRC, so a decent E10 fuel should have a RON of around 93 atleast. If it's a 91RON like at BP that's because the ethanol has been mixed with a poorly formulated unleaded that has a less than 91RON rating (assumedly 88-89RON unleaded).

Although I should add up until a year or so ago, some Shell sites accross Sydney did have a "V-Power Racing" which was advertized as being mixed with a small amount of ethanol to give it a 100RON rating (I think it was a 5% or 10% ethanol blend)

For all those that say 98RON makes no difference in a stock CJ I find it rather funny. Even my old Excel ran alot smoother on premium fuels abnd got better mileage, in my CJ I can even notice a difference both in terms of throttle response and the exhaust between Caltex Vortex and Shell V-power. Not to mention premium fuels have better quality additives and detergents that keep the engine cleaner and supposedly reduce friction.

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:52 am

when i ran e10 in my car the fuel consumption sky rocketed, not sure what happened, but i havent used it since.

milli
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby milli » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:24 am

just wondering do you still use fuel additives if you use premuim fuel only?
as mention above premiums got additives alrdy?

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am

I ran 98RON in my '07 VRX since I bought it new in every tank and always got more km out of it. I'm now running it in my Ralliart and believe that the performance is smoother and better, although my Ralliart is running a little rich and thirsty right now.

milli
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby milli » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:42 am

lamn8tr did you put all the vinyls on your self?
looks nice

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:36 pm

lamn8tr wrote:I ran 98RON in my '07 VRX since I bought it new in every tank and always got more km out of it. I'm now running it in my Ralliart and believe that the performance is smoother and better, although my Ralliart is running a little rich and thirsty right now.

Yeah generally any car that is tuned to run on 98RON fuels (ie. the Ralliart) will run like shit if you put anything else into them because the ECU is majorly retarding the engine to try and prevent pre-detonation ('knock')...

The whole 91RON vs. 98RON discussion here is in regards to N/A CJs, it's completely irrelevant to Evos and Ralliarts for the above mentioned reason (ie. they HAVE to run on 98RON).

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I've run all kinds of fuel in my lancer and our outlander (similar motors)

Anyway, long story short, E10 has the worst consumption. Sometimes with the E10 fuel they will market it as 95 RON but that is only because the ethanol ups the RON rating when mixed with regular 91 RON, though it burns much quicker so your consumption is no different.

95 RON for us has a 5% mileage difference compared to 91 RON. 98 RON has a 6-7% difference compared to 91 RON.

We try not to fill up with E10 - as economically it does not save you any $$$. Rather due to its higher consumption rate you spend more. The difference in 91 to 95/98 is not much either to make it economical (12 and 14c difference).

I still fill up 95.98 RON when possible in my lancer though :) Personally it doesn't feel any different but meh.
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Good info here all..

But people talk about economics driving their choice.

Depending on where you are, the economics just don't equate.

For me, in Toowoomba, Shell 95RON E10 gets exactly the same consumption rate as BP's 98RON, measured over months using a tracking program in my iPhone. The difference economically is massive, Shell E10 = $1.22 per litre and BP 98RON is $1.43

That is much more than the 10% difference in consumption values as stated by some. Also, the car runs perfectly smooth. I was seriously the biggest advocate for 98RON fuel, in the past. My Ducati and now Moto Guzzi both run on 98RON only and I find it to be the cleanest fuel you can buy... but....

In times when people are trying to save a buck here and there, every 6th litre is free using the Shell E10 95 RON fuel (based upon the pricing structure mentioned), which to me feels fine and gives really good figures.

I am not shunning your results, just trying to be pragmatic about this all and show you what I have found.

Filling with the E10 95 RON Shell concoction, I am saving the cost of 10 litres per fill over and above the price of 98 RON, in Toowoomba.

I am sure the pundits out there can quote me reams of data.. but my own calculations have shown this to be correct, in my circumstance.

As long as the fuel remains clean and I feel no hiccups, E10 95 RON is going to feature highly on my choice list.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

AUSSIECJ
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AUSSIECJ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:03 pm

i run vortex 98 in my vrx. ive noticed better fuel economy and it seems to run more smoothly. thats just my opinion.
I LOVE HATERS ;)
By aussiecj at 2010-09-20

Return to “Maintenance”