***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

dumb question

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

s21197
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

dumb question

Postby s21197 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:31 am

to maintain the warranty, do u need to have oil changes done at the dealership? or just the services?

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:37 am

Usually the services, but you can also get the services done at recognised mechanical shops like here in Australia we have Ultra Tune and companies like that
You can do your in between oil changes eg -7500kms yourself at home - I do with no problems.
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:50 am

Mitsubishi has to service it once a year to maintain warranty

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:47 am

Speedie wrote:Mitsubishi has to service it once a year to maintain warranty

WRONG.

They only have to service it once a year if you want to keep the Roadside Assistance package. But it's only worth $60 a year (RACQ in QLD)

Now this applies in Australia, not sure about Canada, you should check with your Mitsubishi dealer or somebody:

You are allowed to service your vehicle yourself, any service, provided it is as per the required servicing set out in the service manual and the book must be dated, distance recorded, and a signature. That is included in the Fair Trading Laws.

Dealerships trick people into getting their car's fixed there "it'll void your warranty etc" but they only say that to protect their biggest profit earner.

I previously had a Mitsubishi Mirage, and it was only ever serviced by myself, I even did the services every 10,000 instead of 15,000. But the rest of it was as per the book, or even before such items were due (like airfilter, spark plugs)

Now this Mirage went back to the Mitsubishi dealership 3 times for warranty work. Everytime, they completed the work through the warranty. on one occasion, they asked me about my servicing and why it was not done at a "authorised dealership or mechanical workshop", but I said that I'm legally allowed to do it, and he didn't argue.

Now, I know what I am doing, I've been doing it since I was really young. I would not do massive jobs like a timing belt, I know how, but since I have a mate who is a mechanic, I'd get him to do that as I can't be bothered really haha

Sorry to babble, but that should set the story straight.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am

If servicing is performed by someone other than a Mitsubishi Dealer, and a concern occurs which is a result of incorrect servicing, using other than Genuine Parts or Coolant, or using the incorrect oil specification, then warranty will be affected and denied on that or related components.

From the mitsubishi webpage

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:59 am

Like I said, as long as you follow the book, and you know what you are doing, there won't be a problem. And the use of genuine parts is not required. They spin BS to protect their best profit earner - dealership servicing and genuine parts.

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I didn't realise that you could service the car yourself. I I knew about changing the oil but I thought that the services in the book had to be done by an authorised mechanic in order to retain the warranty. Thats useful to know

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:21 pm

yep $150 for the 15k service at Ultratune....compared with $250+ at the dealer... they are ripping you off big time!

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 pm

changing your own oil in between services should be fine but check with your Mitsubishi head office over there....

mcrae25
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby mcrae25 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 pm

You can't service it yourself!!! If you do you will lose your warrenty. There are 3 criteria that must be met: 1. it must be done by a qualified mechanic, 2. it must be done at a registered bussiness, and 3. it must comply with mitsubishi's standards.

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Your warrenty will be covered aslong as you take it to any autherised mechanic, but Mitsubishi will not cover any work said mechanic does under warrenty, said mechanic should have there own form of warrenty and it normally varies from workshop to workshop. I personally do all my own work to all the cars i have had and will own and i warrenty them myself only time Mitsubishi saw my car was for the first service so they would wash it for me lol o and i am a mechanic lol
Look Out! in The Shire!!
The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:
Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:17 pm

It does not have to be an authorised mechanic. As long as the conditions I said earlier are met. I got it in writing from Mitsubishi when I had bought Mirage brand new. Unfortunately I didn't keep the letter after I got traded the Mirage, but I will see if I can get it again.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm

mcrae25 wrote:You can't service it yourself!!! If you do you will lose your warrenty. There are 3 criteria that must be met: 1. it must be done by a qualified mechanic, 2. it must be done at a registered bussiness, and 3. it must comply with mitsubishi's standards.

nope SIR-VRX is right. i have also in the past rung MMAL head office up to ask them and they confirmed that so long as you date, sign, etc and carry out as per the log book then all will be fine for your warranty but as she said be prepared for them to try and challenge your workmanship. So if you a confident working with your car and know a thing or two about engines then go for it. ACCC has ruled that you dont have to service with the dealer to retain warranty, its just not something that the dealers like to tell you ;)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Thanks for the backup Ryan. I knew I was right haha

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks guys for this info by the way I was actually going to ask this question at some point.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Return to “General Talk”