***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Washing/Detailing your lancer.

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 am

Or we could all do what Marc did here.

I don't care what it costs to get these guys to do this to a new car but if they were in Melbourne, I'd send my car to them. What fifth dimension paint protection, that has nothing on these boys... .
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:18 pm

btw , that bald friend of marc aka miracle/paul dalton , cost about $5000 pounds for his full 61 step detail lol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK7DWeMZyFQ << take a look
Lancer Evolution 10MR

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:09 pm

exaltd wrote:@ Ryan - I'd be more than happy to :P So long as you pay for my flight to SA :P Pity you aren't here in Melbourne, or I'd help you out :)

@ Shin - give me some time, I might write up a DIY guide after my exams :) Many debates have gone into the development of my techniques :P

I'm making a 3 week trip down to Melbourne somewhere next week, would you be interested in a meet up to teach me? I wouldn't mind helping you wash yours in return. :D

SIR-VRX wrote:Use AutoGlym. Nuff said.

where do you guys buy autoglym products in Melbourne or South Australia?

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:55 pm

autobahn has most of the autoglym products , if you want to buy online , you can check carcareproducts.com.au for AG and other brands
Lancer Evolution 10MR

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Can any of you guys recommend a good buffing machine?

DAS6 seems to be all the rage at the moment but I have heard they don't have enough power to get rid of any decent swirls.
RALLI//////ART

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm picking up a cheap DAS6 soon so i might be able to tell you from my personal experience in the near future.

from what i've read so far , the DAS6 doesn't have enough cutting power to remove those deeper scratches and it takes more passes to remove swirl compared to the circular polisher.

That being said , DAS6 is a great tool to start off for someone that's new to detailing as it doesn't generate as much heat and won't cut through the paint so easily like circular polisher if your not careful and experienced enough.

Apart from the DAS6 for random orbital polishers, many have used the meguiars G220 and porter cable polisher(US).

If your keen on going straight to circular polishers , Makita and festool make really good quality ones but comes with a price.

DavidAnthony
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby DavidAnthony » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Cool, let us all know how the DAS6 goes.

I have a lot of sanding marks and light scratches on my bonnet that the panel beaters left behind and been dying to get rid of them.
RALLI//////ART

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:00 pm

i'm a little worried about the paint thickness for our CJs tho since their well known for being really thin , would be great to have a paint thickness gauge but it's too expensive for now :(

if you have light scratches , you could try a filler type of polisher such as Autoglym's Super Resin Polish, Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze and Poorboys white diamond/black hole.

So instead of cutting a thin layer of the clearcoat , you can use fillers to cover the swirls but it will only last 3-4 months as it degrades after each wash.
Lancer Evolution 10MR

Mr Bishi
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Mr Bishi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 pm

I thoroughly hose the car down. Then I wash it using the product I got from the paint protection people. I use a lambswool glove to apply the product . I rinse the glove after each panel and rinse each panel as I go. I then dry with microfiber chamois. I am going to start using meguiars waterless car wash system during the week to minimise the need for water washes. I can just wipe the car down in my garage instead of having to you the car wash bay each time.
Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will. Lose on the track, and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail. – Junior Johnson, NASCAR legend, and one time whiskey runner.

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:25 pm

So I've finally got down to washing my cj and did some detailing on it with some hands on help and tips from Gabriel. Here are the results.

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Thats one deep shine mate, dont you just love the end product :)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:23 pm

did gabe also convince you into his products ? lol !
Lancer Evolution 10MR

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jolly_tas » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:20 pm

After reading all these posts I feel rather lazy and inadequate in my washing technique. I use the local drive through wash. No brushes are used just high pressure. Goes through the following cycles - Low pressure rinse down, pre-soak (bug/tar remover), high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, "Rainbow wax" (don't know but it looks psychedelic going on), medium pressure rinse then final rinse with distilled water. The sprays cover all areas of the car and costs $14. Just a matter of doing the inside of the car when I get a chance. May be not for everyone, but I'm happy with it.

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 pm

To each his own mate, alot just prefer slowly watching the car go from dab to fab :P one day i wanna get it muddy and just see it sparkle afterwards (even though im a clean freak and wipe it down daily haha)

On the days it rains randomly, i wish i had the coin to go to a car wash lol, rain just ruins everything :(

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:55 pm

jolly_tas wrote:After reading all these posts I feel rather lazy and inadequate in my washing technique. I use the local drive through wash. No brushes are used just high pressure. Goes through the following cycles - Low pressure rinse down, pre-soak (bug/tar remover), high pressure soap, high pressure rinse, "Rainbow wax" (don't know but it looks psychedelic going on), medium pressure rinse then final rinse with distilled water. The sprays cover all areas of the car and costs $14. Just a matter of doing the inside of the car when I get a chance. May be not for everyone, but I'm happy with it.

I did that once and found that for alot of stains/marks, it doesn't actually get rid of them. Ended up moving to hand carwash cafes (with free coffee). Found a good one in my area for $10 with free coffee (exterior only, and sit outside) but in the past I averaged around $20 a week per car for interior and exterior thanks to loyalty discounts with a nice warm cafe to sit in.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Return to “Maintenance”