Custom Instument Faces

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Custom Instument Faces

Postby Graham » Sat May 22, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm thinking of making my own (or being lazy and paying someone to make one).

What would I need to use to make my own?
I wouldn't mind changing the colours (hopefuly all LED's behind the panel are white and the sheet has an orange tint) and integrating a pattern, I know that I'll need to make sure the numbers remain in exactly the right place ;)

What I'm thinking is using some sort of clear plastic material and a high quality printer.

Hopefuly it doesn't have multiple layers and is only the one layer with the LED's behind it... :)

by instrument faces I mean the 'circles' which shows the revs and speed.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 22, 2010 8:22 pm

Is that your dash mate? Looks a bit different to the other CJ's I've seen (from memory). Looks like my Evo!

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Sat May 22, 2010 8:31 pm

looks like it is the dash from an evo as the NA lancers only go to 240, plus it has the mode read out for the SST gear box (normal).

Anyway Graham if this is possible it could look really good, good luck with it.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat May 22, 2010 8:49 pm

i just googled a search, I'm pretty sure it is an evo dash :P

Cheers, when I'm bored and it's not raining I might take it out, I'm just worried about the needles... I don't want to mess them up

ImageImage

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Sat May 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Whilst that ones an Evo one I think, the newer MY10 Lancers have redesigned dashes that are more similar in appearance to that one IIRC (obviously they dont have upto 300 on them lol)!

Yes they are white LEDs which are surface mounted to a PCB. If you know someone who does hot solder reflow work you could change the LEDs with ones from a different colour ordered from somewhere like Farnell or RS Electronics, but it's not an easy task. As for a new dash face, on option would be getting printed/cut vinyl onto a thin plastic but it wouldn't be easy...

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Chubb wrote:looks like it is the dash from an evo as the NA lancers only go to 240, plus it has the mode read out for the SST gear box (normal).

Anyway Graham if this is possible it could look really good, good luck with it.

I saw that but wasn't sure if it was an RA or Evo

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Sat May 22, 2010 9:34 pm

smithsy wrote:Whilst that ones an Evo one I think, the newer MY10 Lancers have redesigned dashes that are more similar in appearance to that one IIRC (obviously they dont have upto 300 on them lol)!

Yes they are white LEDs which are surface mounted to a PCB. If you know someone who does hot solder reflow work you could change the LEDs with ones from a different colour ordered from somewhere like Farnell or RS Electronics, but it's not an easy task. As for a new dash face, on option would be getting printed/cut vinyl onto a thin plastic but it wouldn't be easy...

Na my 2010 does not look like that, I have a white band that runs around the outside that has the marked strokes in black.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Take a photo pls?

ps. Was sitting inside the 2010 Evo X and damn that colour screen looks epic.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Sat May 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I will have to charge my camera, and yeah I wish I got the colour screen the 2010 outlanders get it but not the lancers :(.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sat May 22, 2010 11:59 pm

smithsy wrote:Whilst that ones an Evo one I think, the newer MY10 Lancers have redesigned dashes that are more similar in appearance to that one IIRC (obviously they dont have upto 300 on them lol)!

Actually, the changing of the LED's in the dash if you have a proper desolder/rework Iron, then the job is extremely easy, if you know what your doing. if you have the rework head for the specific LED's its even easier. if someone wants to buy my a proper rework solder iron, i will gladly change peoples dash LED's, its very easy, IF you have the gear.

it would only be time consuming cause there is hundreds.

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Sun May 23, 2010 12:21 am

i m surprised that the new 2010 vrxs here dont come with colour screens... in singapore the equivalent 2.0 gt comes with a colour screen and i think has the RA steering wheel as well...

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 am

guys can we keep it on topic

ImageImage

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

Graham wrote:guys can we keep it on topic

btw you cant change the colour of the display, its a red display, there is no filters, you can tell from the fact the writing is red not black. if the writing was black then its LCD display with a colour shone behind it to get the colour. like hyundias I30's they have a LCD display with blue LED's behind to make it look blue. its has black writing. and blue background.

ours cannot be changed. without replacing the screen completely to a non red colored self lit LCD display.

unless its a OLED display then colour is probably set with programing. but i an not sure on that

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am

The LEDs behind the speedo/tacho are red not white

The LCD is lit red by the LCD itself, it's not white with a filter.

The needles aren't spring loaded return they turn freely because they are moved and returned to rest by a stepper motor.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sun May 23, 2010 9:29 am

If you just want to change the faceplates you can but its all one piece I dont think its separate. The outer binnacles are not apart of the instrument panel, they are just a dress up. Mine are black with red outer, I have different ones to everyone :D

I would seriously find a smashed Lancer out there or get a second instrument panel (they are expensive for a full unit). That part of the car is pretty important and playing around with the only one you have and if anything goes wrong your screwed.

I too planning on changing mine but I like the red LED stuff. Suits with what I want to go for.

Return to “Interior”