***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

apple lovers

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

terbo88
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby terbo88 » Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 pm

I guess now that mac brought out steam its a bonus.. I still <3 my asus g73. 8gb of ram, corei7 and 2gb of gpu power. Mmmmm tasty!

I do find apple have there design spot on though. I LOL at hp's epic fail of trying to copy apple with there envy range.
-HKS-AMS-UR-TOMEI-BLITZ-
MONSTERSPORT-ARC-WORK-COLTSPEED

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 pm

For me, here's my Mac evolution:

1. Ti PowerBook G4 15" 667MHz 512MB RAM (First ever Mac owned bought with my first PhD scholarship prize circa 2003) sold to buy->2.
2. Al PowerBook G4 15" 1.33GHz 2GB RAM sold to buy -> 5.
3. iPod 3G 10GB sold to buy -> 4.
4. iPod 4G 20GB (Click Wheel) sold to buy -> 6.
5. Al PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz sold to buy -> 10.
6. iPod 5G 30GB (Video Colour) sold to buy -> 8
7. iMac G5 17" G5 1.8GHz 2.5GB RAM sold to buy->9.
8. iPod Nano 2G 8GB sold to buy -> 13.
9. iMac G5 17" G5 1.9GHz (iSight) 2.5GB RAM (Sold on leaving the UK in 01/2008)

Current:
10. Macbook 13" Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM Mac OS X 10.6.3 - Windows XP SP3 Bootcamp (Current)
11. iPhone 3G Black 16GB
12. Macbook 13" White 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5.8 - Windows XP SP3 Bootcamp
13. iPod Nano 5G Camera 16GB
14. Dell Mini 10V Black 1.66GHz Atom 2GB RAM Hackintosh OS X 10.5.8/Windows XP SP3

Should be selling 10. soon. The Dell Hackintoshed is fantastic and serves my purpose. No need for any large ass machines now. Will be looking to hackintosh a 7" Sony soon as a pocket PC.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed May 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I was considering buying my Mum the Magic Mouse for Mothers Day but thought it was a bit expensive for a mouse...esp considering the MS Bluetooth mouse was only $35 (i.e. a third of the price).

Funnily enough someone at work was using the Magic Mouse on their Dell.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Apple
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Apple » Wed May 19, 2010 8:16 pm

be careful, some friends at uni went that small and got over it quicklyyyyyy

yea i have an i7 15 inch...

it shreds.. so worth the money.. 8gb ram..

330m g card :).. but i bought it for uni.. no games atm...

it does everything i need it to do.. plus more.. while being faster than most of the laptops i see..
2010 Lancer VRX
- K&N Performance drop in filter
- 20" Lenso Rims
- BC Suspension Coil Over Kit (Lowered 45mm)
- Front end Vinyl Work
- Sports Magnaflow Exhaust
- More mods to come.. ++

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 pm

I run IDL and MATLAB simulations for work on my Dell Mini 10V and use the Windows partitions for Origin 7.5 and it's graphing capability. It runs some proprietary machine software on it and some legacy type software using Virtual Box without choking.

I use the video output port to get my screen out to a 24" Asus 2ms display which I use in tandem with the Magic Mouse and a previous generation wireless BT keyboard (the current ones are too small IMHO). So I don't stress my eyes at all.

With my Dell now, I can run EvoScan in tandem with my Tactrix cable in my car. No big screen opened up. Just a 10" sitting comfortably on my passenger seat.

The Dell takes all of 25seconds to boot up and me type my first command into quicksilver.

I think the thing we need to be clear about here is that it's hardly the hardware that make Apples what they are.

Sure the design on the outside looks great and all but it's the operating system which does the job... . Not the casing.

If you tell me you'll buy Mac hardware over generic PC hardware if OS X could install and run anywhere, I'd say you're deluded... . The build quality of some PCs are so much better than Mac's. Save the boring designs of course... .
Last edited by ofey on Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apple
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Apple » Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

Nice setup, thought about a 13 inch mac book pro? only 3 inches bigger and u have the beauty of both, with bootcamp making it super easy and it will look the part in your car!

I used to use quicksliver, if you want a better one, look into alfred app... quicksilver is not long supported.. but alfred always gets updates and such.. i use it now.. but yea.. my virtual box runs my bootcamp partition so its super simple.. if i change or view anything in my virtual box.. its already done when i boot up in pc :)
2010 Lancer VRX

- 20" Lenso Rims

- Front end Vinyl Work

- More mods to come.. ++

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

i dont know why anyone would want a Mac, id much rather spend 2grand on something better then a mac that can do nothing for 6grand. the money you have to pay for Apple junk, is completely not worth it. things you can buy for a generic PC far surpass Mac, just cause they are sleek, and made for your average already in incredible debt uni student, so they are put into even more debt, cause they paid, the extra 3grand to get something sleek, rather then something useful, better and only a bit larger.

i can literally get a custom made laptop for 1/3 of the price heaps better, and its only 1cm thicker all around. and maybe 500g heaver. i dont see the need for the super prices of the junk mac call computers.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Blakey,

Everyone likes different things... why did you "waste" your money on a Lancer... why not save money and get a Hyundai Getz. Reliable, good warranty and cheap?????

Apple
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Apple » Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm

i dont think your getting the point. apple are amazing.

Im a designer, and programmer and yes all my computers I have ever had have been built by me (and are pcs).. and its alot cheaper and fun, but even still, I am willing to fork out the money to buy a MacBook Pro.. why... because its going to last me a hell of a alot longer than any PC.. and because I wanted Mac.. and i wanted Mac to run on my... Mac..

Ive got a pc laptop that ive customized, ive got 2 full-tower computers, one acting as my server.. one being my 'gaming' computer that i simply dont use anymore.. why because, my slimline macbook pro does everything i need, i spent 2400 on it.. worth it.. in ever way..

plus the 8 hours i can get from its slim battery makes every uni student appreciate them...

haha you dont have to agree with me, but everyone knows deep down.. apple is going to own the market... whether u believe it or not..
2010 Lancer VRX

- 20" Lenso Rims

- Front end Vinyl Work

- More mods to come.. ++

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Blakey wrote:i dont know why anyone would want a Mac, id much rather spend 2grand on something better then a mac that can do nothing for 6grand. the money you have to pay for Apple junk, is completely not worth it. things you can buy for a generic PC far surpass Mac, just cause they are sleek, and made for your average already in incredible debt uni student, so they are put into even more debt, cause they paid, the extra 3grand to get something sleek, rather then something useful, better and only a bit larger.

i can literally get a custom made laptop for 1/3 of the price heaps better, and its only 1cm thicker all around. and maybe 500g heaver. i dont see the need for the super prices of the junk mac call computers.

My Macbook Pro (the super sexy aluminium one in the picture on page 1) was $1999 last year when we got it.

I shopped around for months and to get anything of the same 13" size, CPU speed, GPU spec, RAM, HDD, LED Backit screen and keyboard you were looking at at least $2999 (Dell Studio), $2499 (HP something). PLUS they were considerably heavier and thicker than the MBP. And the battery life of 7 hours for the MBP not 3-4 hours for the others.

In the end, the Mac worked out better and cheaper.

(I shared the same view as you until my mate told me to go and spec up the competition to the same specs. Only then did I believe him, when I read it for my self.)

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Wed May 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Blakey ,
While you are entitled to your opinions
Do you have to be so dam unpleasant about everything?
This site is about respect, sharing and supporting each other NOT giving shit to anyone who thinks differently to you
Your attitude needs adjusting
Mizta B
Last edited by Mizta B on Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

seventieschick
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby seventieschick » Wed May 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Blakey, are you suffering from verbal diarrhea again?

Apple rules!!!!
Red Tail-light Brigade Member #6
ClubCJ Premium Member #146

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I still don't get why you would buy one though... :?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Actually, for once in my life on this site, I'd have to hope more people agree with Blakey.

Please do not buy apple products. As Blakey mentioned, the cost effectiveness of these things are terrible! I hope less people buy it. So long as the growth of apple users keeps on a low gradient, fine by me.

Actually the price started bugging me once I got married and am looking to start a family. I became more discerning about how I spent my money. I looked at the Mac as it is and the most outstanding thing to me is the OS. Not much to hoot about the hardware really. All easily surpassed.

On another front though, ,more people on PCs and Windows, the better it is for me... . So as you were people!! :wink:

Ash
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Ash » Wed May 19, 2010 9:41 pm

OMG I LOVE Apple :D

My MacBook Pro is the best thing I have ever owned! Along with my iphone of course!! and Mighty Mouse all the way!! lol Adrian won't let me get a Magic Mouse, coz I drop my Mighty Mouse off the couch all the time. :D

And Blakey GTFO. Leave Apple alone. What did they ever do to you? nothing......thought so.
ClubCJ's Provider of LOLZ - CCJ Lifetime Member #0026.

Functional can GTFO :lol:

Return to “General Talk”