***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

iPhone Silent Switch Problem

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 pm

I think ima just take it to apple and see what they say. They are not going to put my phone on some blacklist if they find its jailbroken. If they say it has to go somewhere, ill put it to 3.1.3 and give it to them....Theres a way to install the original 3.1.2 firmware once i get it back anyway so i can re-jailbreak it
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Sat May 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Hey tadz

make an appointment to see a genius
they will literally swap it with a brand new(read it as refurbished) one for you on the spot with such a problem.

so i suggest that you back up your stuff before seeing one

cheers
Lancer -> Accord Euro -> M3

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I had a quick look around on the apple website but couldnt find anything about this genius appointment. Only things about itunes...

Im gunna download the 3.1.2 firmware and restore it to that, see if that fixes the problem..If it doesnt, ill take it to apple and if they have to send it off they can send it off, but ill have the 3.1.2 firmware which ill just be able to reload if they update it to 3.1.3

Sickbunny
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Sickbunny » Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 pm

dont take it in jailbroken, they can and will usually refuse to use it as the guys flicked through my list of apps pretending i wasnt looking (im guessing to see if cydia was installed) if you do a full backup on itunes (not just a sync) it will abckup your sms and all contacts.

also make an appointment here or chances are you will get turned away. they only have a set amount of apointments each day

http://www.apple.com/au/retail/geniusbar/

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 10:33 pm

How do I do a full backup? The contacts are all im worried about really...

Sickbunny
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Sickbunny » Sat May 08, 2010 10:44 pm

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Also as an additional safeguard click in the sync tab and there will be something about sync contacts to: then choose windows contacts, it'll copy all your contacts into the windows contact program

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Onya Grantly :D

Thanks for that mate. My .ipsw has finished downloading so ill reload this firmware, see if it works and let you know how i go :)

Alex.K
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Alex.K » Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 pm

normally when you sync your iphone with itunes it backs up everything automatically.
If your phone is jailbroken don't take it in.

you have to go to support in order to find the appointment section.
you can always give an apple shop a call too
Lancer -> Accord Euro -> M3

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Im gunna take it to apple in northlands tomorrow, see if anything they can quickly fix, if not, ill have to go to the 'genius' in doncaster during the week.

Im backing up all my contacts n everything like that now...hopefully this 3.1.2 firmware reload works...

Wish me luck!!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat May 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Firmware reload didnt work, but i found an app that hides icons from the home screen. So ive hidden cydia, blackra1n and any other apps that look sus. Hopefully all goes well when i take it in tomorrow :)

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sun May 09, 2010 9:32 am

swap it for a HTC

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Speedie wrote:swap it for a real phone.

Fixed.

Sickbunny
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Sickbunny » Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 pm

they might be able to check when they hook it upto itunes.. be careful mr tadz..

the reason 3.1.2 didnt load is apple has 3.1.3 out, they dont allow you to reload 3.1.2 as you have to go up to 3.1.3.

i would upgrade to 3.1.3 as you can easially jailbreak them now using spirit jailbreak tool ;)

Marsh
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Marsh » Sun May 09, 2010 12:53 pm

broken silent switches on iphones are pretty common from what Ive read. the switch on my iphone feels really flimsy and is always switching itself between loud and silent.

I read on other forums of people who had a broken switch, they did a full backup of their phone (contacts, sms, apps etc) then did a full restore to remove jailbraking, then go and see a 'genius' at a Apple store. If its under warranty they usually just give you a refurb on the spot

and how are iphones not good as a phone? the phone function of my iphone is as good as any other phone ive had. The iphones downfalls i think are in its locked down OS, reliance on itunes and some browsing deficiencies.

You cant have an ipod and then bag those who have a iphone... its almost like having an ES and bagging someone for having a VRX...

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 09, 2010 1:18 pm

what I mean by lack of function on the phone side of things is:

- Bluetooth only for handsfree (ie no file sharing)
- Only approved software can be used
- No Multi-Tasking
- Tethering incurs a fee and a separate data pack on some carriers
- Lack of phone customisation
- Lack of call waiting functionality
- Terrible reception and drop outs
- More I'm sure

I will admit that Apple is slowly getting there, but it has taken so many software updates to even get near where it is now. Remember when it didn't even allow MMS messages, SMS forwarding, multiple recipients or individual deletion? That was pretty slack to cal it a "smart phone" without those features.

Also, I know jailbreaking can correct some of it's missing things (like BT file transfer, phone customisation and software limitations) but that is not the point. Don't have to do that for any other "phone"...

I bought my iPod Touch before the iPhone was even out in Australia, and I bought it because I wanted the features of an iPod Touch but I didn't want what was at the time a totally useless phone to go with it. Now the iPhone is better, but it's still not great and I won't even be interested in getting one until it at least matches my current phone for features. Which it never will. It will always be behind the 8-Ball so to speak.

Apple is great at marketing, I'll definitely give them that. I believe they call it the "halo effect" where by as soon as a customer gets one of their products they are sucked in to buying other Apple products and only Apple products. I'd almost call it brain-washing :lol:

For the record, I'm not Anti-Apple, I think they just slacked off with functionality of the iPhone (and now iPad) product lines.

I have an iPod Touch 1st Gen, iPod Nano 5th Gen, White Macbook, Unibody Macbook Pro, Ash has an iPhone 3GS and previously a 3G. Also have a dead iPod 4th Gen from many years ago. So one can say the "halo effect" has worked here... to a certain degree.

I'll keep my Nokia smartphone anyday.

Return to “General Talk”