***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CJ Smart Key not so smart?

Alarms, Smart Key, Batteries, Wiring, Engine/Computer Management & Racing Chips.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:17 am

Has anyone checked the range of the keyless entry??? what happenes if you park the car right next to your front door and left the key thing next to teh door overnight... could someone just come up and hop in your car and drive off?
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:01 am

the range is arms reach from the front door handles. But to turn the ignition on or start the car the fob must be inside the car. It's pretty accurate and if the fob is slightly outside it won't work. Bmws smart key is not like that even. The car.can be unlocked a d started with the fob 20 metres away. A relative of mine did just that and I laughed at it.

Panther4B11
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Panther4B11 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:43 am

I'm happy with my normal person keys. The one's that should always work :D

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bungfritz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:16 am

Hey, for you guys who don't have a smart key, trust me there are plenty of perks of having such a device. When i first bought my car, i thought it was more of a marketing gimmick, but when you slowly get used to it, you do notice its advantages.

I normally have my smart key separate from the rest of my keys and it constantly stays in my work pants. So you can really do things such as get in your car and open your boot, start your car without even having to reach inside your pocket.

At the end of the day, i like my smart key. Its not perfect, but i think it is one of those things that you do learn to love and appreciate.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:15 am

I agree with panther.... normal key is better :P

>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!

"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Panther4B11
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Panther4B11 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30 am

Yeah i like the primitive key :D always works.

whitlam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby whitlam » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:49 am

Did anyone see Top Gear when they were in the US of A...

They were parked at a diner and Clarkson decided to test out the range of Hammond's smart key (which was still in his pocket) for his Dodge Challenger and ended up parking it in hte middle of hte road out the front of the place

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:47 am

I too like the smart key. My frustration is a significant failure which prevented me from even starting in a more conventional way.

A question: If your car is carjacked, will the motor stop if the distance between the key and the car exceeds a certain distance?
CJ RA. Stock!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 am

The car can only be started with the fob inside the car. It won't start if the fob is even slightly out of the car. So the only way it could be hijacked is if the crim had the fob or you had started it but got out of the car and left it running. But I don't think the car stops after a distance. It just displays a message on the cluster that won't go away.

Micoa
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Micoa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm

i was told by the dealer that the ca would stop if the fob wasn't in the car when u were driving it...go figure they could have lied

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 pm

It might stop after a while, I'm not sure, I have only tried it for 5 mins or so just around the block a couple of times. I don't really want to go too far incase haha

Micoa
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Micoa » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:21 pm

i dare you to drive further than a couple of blocks :D

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Since I'm bored, yes ok. LOL

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Ok, so as per the posts above, I went for a 20 to 30 kilometer drive, started the car with the fob, then took the key fob out and left it at home. (I took the spare fob, battery removed, just in case the car did stop)

After about 30 secs of driving, this message was displayed:

That stayed on the screen for about 10 to 15 kms (5 to 10 mins) then it went back to the normal screen:

I even stopped at a shop, got out, left it running and got back in and it still drove.

Mine is a manual, but it would be interesting to see if an auto (VRX, Aspire or even RA, Evo MR) would permit the movement of the gear selector out of Park.

Conclusion: The car does not stop, nor does it limit the speed, revs or anything. My guess is that because of safety reasons it allows the car to be driven. Just imagine the law suit if a Lancer stopped in the middle of a busy intersection and somebody ran into it killing the driver etc etc.

Return to “Electrical”