Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Seat upgrades

Postby Graham » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Hey guys and girls

I might be keen on getting some leather bucket seats from a subaru liberty (I don't think they're the originals however) and I don't think they'd fit normally but if not what sort of modification would be required to make them fit? new rails? would those rails bolt into mine somehow?

Also I'm aware that these seats won't have airbags where mine do, just putting that out there before someone says it :P

Cheers
Graham
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Keep your rails and bolt the seats to them. This should the easiest and safest way.

It is one of those things you wont know until you try it.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Cheers,

I might have to test fit them before buying or something, the car I'm getting from from has been written off so that shouldn't be a drama to do on a weekend or something

ImageImage

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Couple of things....

1. Removal of airbags is illegal if your car came with them, which it does.

2. The seats will most likely fit, but you would have to get your current seat rails modified by an engineer to suit the seats and therefore engineer certified and a mod plate attached.

Do-able? Yes.
Worth the cost and effort? No. Just get leather from X-Factor.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 pm

X-factor's site is down :shock:

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 am

I'm aware removing airbags is a no-no, it doesn't phase me too much as they arent a "primary airbag" sort of thing

Hmm if it's going to be too much effort i might give it a miss but we'll see how it goes :)

also moved post from lighting section to interior section, I thought I posted it in interior but must've misclicked on the homepage..
Cheers Troy for letting me know :P

ImageImage

fappy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fappy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:49 am

pffft... airbags

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:56 am

Another note, if you ever did have a crash they could easily void your insurance, honestly it's not worth it.
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

Frazza wrote:Another note, if you ever did have a crash they could easily void your insurance, honestly it's not worth it.

And to add to that : In an accident you could possible void your life - honestly not worth it.!!

fappy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby fappy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

So much negativity. This thread makes me bawwww.

Are airbags in a seat really going to save your life or does marketing make it sound like it may save your life. As far as insurance if you just say you have modified seats they will change it over so long as you dont tell them that it's illegal as insurance rarely check anything but the obvious. The seats would have to be pretty sick though and you would wnat the car to handle quite well for it to be worth it as far as cost and effort.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Superintendent Chalmers wrote:
Frazza wrote:Another note, if you ever did have a crash they could easily void your insurance, honestly it's not worth it.

And to add to that : In an accident you could possible void your life - honestly not worth it.!!

i dont have those airbags so his car would be as safe as another car without those airbags, IMHO its not more life threatening then a car without those airbags, and it cant be that bad as they still make cars with out them.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Blakey wrote:

i dont have those airbags so his car would be as safe as another car without those airbags, IMHO its not more life threatening then a car without those airbags, and it cant be that bad as they still make cars with out them.

So you are saying that a car without airbags is as safe as one with them, :shock:

Anyhow, that aside the main problem is when you modify your car and seats are a big one, if you make changes and they have not had an engineer certificate they are illegal and can void your insurance in an accident, so be careful.
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Frazza wrote:
Blakey wrote:

So you are saying that a car without airbags is as safe as one with them, :shock:

Anyhow, that aside the main problem is when you modify your car and seats are a big one, if you make changes and they have not had an engineer certificate they are illegal and can void your insurance in an accident, so be careful.

i probably didn't say it very well, i meant that if he was saying that with out the side airbags its threatening to his life. my car came standard with out them, so by what he said, my car is a danger to my life. because i dont have those airbags, yes my car is less safe then a car with those airbags but it is more more life threatening if you have then or you dont.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:44 pm

My car has no side airbags... poor me, probably die...

Anyway, I would like to get some good third-party seats too!

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Come on guys I'm asking a question here and I'm fully aware that I shouldn't take out my airbags. Please don't turn this into an argument thread and let's keep it on topic.

Thanks,
Graham

ImageImage

Return to “Interior”