***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New speed cameras on the Freeways

Local WA State News, Meets, Cruises, Information & Talk.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

New speed cameras on the Freeways

Postby Graham » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Hey guys,

I cannot confirm this but I've heard that there are now fully functional point to point speed cameras on the kwinana/mitchell freeways.

I'm aware that they've been trialling these along with the new 3d laser speed cameras but didn't know they're now working.

Unable to find any official links to back this up, but my guess is that WAPOL will keep it hush hush for a month until they release statistics of how many people have been caught speeding and then carry on about how speed is the biggest killer on the roads. :roll:

Anyway, how these new cameras work is say there are two cameras, one is at "point A" the other at "point B"

Point A will see you along with every other car that passes by and record your number plate automatically (it will not detect your speed)

Point B will do basically the exact same thing, BUT it will calculate the time it took you to get from A to B and if it was MORE than the theorteical maximum speed limit allowed it may issue a fine.

That's how I think they work, correct me if I'm wrong :P

Apparantly these are already operational over east, can anyone confirm this also?
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm

If they are using the theoretical speed then it can't be very accurate as practice is very different from theory... So many factors to consider

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:14 am

that's true, there will be many fines you can get out of being a new system, but they may work out the bugs eventually, but we'll see

ImageImage

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Here are specs and details of the new Lidar cameras due to be in service July 1st.

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/news_wa.html

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/vitronic.html

http://www.policespeedcameras.info/vitronic_specs.html

Can scan 4 lanes of traffic total, 2 in each directions. 75M max operational range. (Twice the 40M max range of a Multanova!!!) :evil: :evil: :evil:
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 pm

Thank god they aren't out yet or I know plenty of people who will be done under hoonlaw lol

ImageImage

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Yes, The face of the new damn enemy.

They should ONLY put them in accident black spots IF reducing the road toll/safety is the main aim but of course it isn't so they will be on the freeways, highways.main roads etc.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 pm

They can say it's for road safety as much as they want, at the end of the day it will always be about revenue raising.

Speed doesn't kill, it's suddenly becoming still that does.

ImageImage

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm

There is often a speed camera around the corner from my house (like 40 metres away) at the end of a school zone. Its frustrating but THAT makes a lot more sense than freeway cameras.

However, now that these car impounding/crushing laws are coming in and police actually come and find you after you get done going very fast, freeway cameras make more sense than they used to.
I still think theres always better places to put them than the freeway though, but at the same time they have to mix it up so nowhere is safe if you know what I mean.

But they don't, they just rotate them between the same old places over and over. :roll:

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:30 pm

The freeway is one of the safest (but still illegal) places to speed when you think about it.

Flat road that is designed for lots of heavy cars and frequent use
turns are minimal
at 3am there is no traffic at all.

All it'll take is a few well placed speed cameras and people going 200km/h+ in their wrx's or skylines will be losing cars quickly lol

ImageImage

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Yeah I know. Its just that they can't NEVER have cameras/police cars there or it'll become a drag strip.

But yeah I suspect once the new cameras arrive there'll be at least 2 on it at all times.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:43 pm

These days any road with 2 lanes in one direction is a drag strip :P

Speed cameras are a good idea in theory, but I just don't like them.
And because they're becoming harder to detect I really don't like them.

It's legal to park on the side of a freeway/highway and block a speed camera from the view of the road (as long as it's legal to stop in that spot which on most fwy/hwy's it is.

Traffic camera operators can't do anything, best they can do is call the police to issue a move-on notice :P
But the police would probably also try and defect the vehicle..

Anywho, bedtime for me :D

ImageImage

jingfengsmart
INACTIVE Member Account

Re: New speed cameras on the Freeways

Postby jingfengsmart » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:28 am

Graham wrote:Hey guys,

I cannot confirm this but I've heard that there are now fully functional point to point speed cameras on the kwinana/mitchell freeways.

I'm aware that they've been trialling these along with the new 3d laser speed cameras but didn't know they're now working.

Unable to find any official links to back this up, but my guess is that WAPOL will keep it hush hush for a month until they release statistics of how many people have been caught speeding and then carry on about how speed is the biggest killer on the roads. :roll:

Anyway, how these new cameras work is say there are two cameras, one is at "point A" the other at "point B"

Point A will see you along with every other car that passes by and record your number plate automatically (it will not detect your speed)

Point B will do basically the exact same thing, BUT it will calculate the time it took you to get from A to B and if it was MORE than the theorteical maximum speed limit allowed it may issue a fine.

That's how I think they work, correct me if I'm wrong :P

Apparantly these are already operational over east, can anyone confirm this also?

do you mean this thing?
they are on leach HWY now[/img]

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 am

nope its diff.... the pic is a fixed redlight/speed camera there is one on riverside drive next to bell tower.... the one graham is talkin bout is two cameras at two diff points n time taken to go through is used to claculate speed n the shorter the time the flash goes off...

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

razorwire
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby razorwire » Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Graham wrote:These days any road with 2 lanes in one direction is a drag strip :P

whats this two lane crap? haha dont need dual carriageway for a drag strip :P just means you need to try harder to get onto the right side of the road :P
also the cameras on leach highway do not issue fines. they are similar to the point to point cameras, but they are to estimate the time of arrival of trucks at the shipping yards. no need to worry about them
atleast i hope not haha
so far the actual cameras on the freeway dont seem to be in use either. i know that because i still have my car and i have not been locked up yet haha
it 3 or 4 am there is literally no traffic on the freeway so i just go nuts :) i make it from kinross (past joondalup) to midland in about 15 minutes haha.
now im probably gonna cop some abuse for this one, but hey, its what i do :P please note, i dont [mess] around with passengers or in too much traffic :) hills runs excluded. graham knows all too well what im like through the hills. i point to point through there and we are both [mess] hahaha

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 pm

This forum has some rules Damien, try to keep it PG related and not post up any illegal activities that you may directly be doing :P

Our hills runs are amazing though ;)

ImageImage

Return to “Western Australia”