***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Philips XTreme Power Headlights

HID's, Bulb's + LED Interior and Exterior Illumination.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:48 pm

Good to hear!

I'm not too concerned about ADR or not, mainly just want best value lights :)

Blue Vision = $40 ea. delivered (HB3/HB4)
X-Treme Vision = $60 delivered
CrystalVision =$62 delivered

Tryg, you said you prefer the Crystal Vison's to the Blue Vision, is that because they throw more light or you just prefer the look of them? I've only got stock now so anything will be an improvement, I just don't know if it's worth spending the extra $20 per light to go to X-Treme or Crystal. But if there is a noticeable difference, I would for sure.

At the moment leaning towards Blue Vision.. just because of price. If no one has had any problems I'll order them Monday, will do review on stock vs them too.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:18 am

Well, if you do happen to go for Xtreme Powers cyssero,

You will definitely notice a difference in distance, but maybe not much in colour. I certainly have!

My low beams alone actually throw alot further than they used to.... i used to not be able to see from the bottom of my hill up about 20m.... now it shines about 50-60m uphill :) As for high beams, it actually shines right to the top of the hill (a bit darker because of diffused light, but it reaches), as compared to last time where i couldn't get 3/4 of the way :) The hills is about 200m up from my calculations :)

That should serve as a good indicator - and no, it's not because of aiming, the aiming is right, as I got a technician friend to check for me. He has the tools :)

Hope that helps.

-EXALTD-

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:19 am

Ok... you've convinced me! :)

I'll go for the X-Treme Power HB4/HB5. They'll be about $60 ea delivered.

Just not sure about Blue Visions, they sound great, they're cheap, but I would prefer light to go further than to have it look blue or whatever and I think that's what they do. Can't say I even drive a lot at night but I want to see as much as possible when I do.

Thanks for everyone's input.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:06 am

I am glad you made an informed choice.. the reason I chose the Crystal Visions was for pure asthetics, no gain in performance, just really really white light.

Good luck!

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 am

Don't forget the higher the colour temperature of these globes, the less the output. That is because over 4000K they have to tint the glass too much, thus reducing output.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:37 am

Cyssero,

I hope you are buying the HB3 (High beam) and HB4 (Low beam).

NOT HB4/HB5 as mentioned above.

-EXALTD-

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:17 am

Just a friendly tip hehe...

You might want to test the height of the beams/light by grabbing a mate and getting him to drive on the other lane (oncoming) and from you behind him. The last thing you want to do is to blind people if the beams are too high :)
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bungfritz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:05 pm

I dunno about our lancer service manual, but with my old car, in the service manual there was a guide to how to adjust your cutoff to the right specifications. It involved parking your car about 3 metres away and the cutoff had to be a certain height. This prevented the lights from blinding oncoming drivers on the opposite side of the road.

I've got a pair of these globes in my low beam, and in terms of light output, I think there the best you can get before going to hids. For those looking for Hid-like white light output, I suggest you look elsewhere as you will be dissapointed with the yellowish light that it outputs.

Coming from my old car which had hids, I guess I am still not satisfied with these globes. I am patiently awaiting someone to release a suitable retrofit for our lancers which won't blind oncoming traffic.

cyssero
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby cyssero » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 pm

exaltd wrote:Cyssero,

I hope you are buying the HB3 (High beam) and HB4 (Low beam).

NOT HB4/HB5 as mentioned above.

-EXALTD-

My mistake - just a typo, definitely 3 and 4. That's what staying up past 3am will do to you :(

I will definitely try and get these adjusted so they don't blind oncoming traffic - that's a major concern too, thanks for the advice.

Looking forward to the X-Treme Power's now :)

gavt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby gavt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 am

Sorry to ressurect an old thread...

Just wondering where the best place to buy these replacement bulbs was?

From the thread the popular bulbs appear to be:

Philips - Blue Vision/Xtreme Power/Crystal Vision
Osram - Nightbrekers
Narva - Blue Vision

Im a fan of more light over whiter/bluer light so i guess the Xtreme Power bulbs woudl be best?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:46 am

best bulbs are PIAA you can get them from the internet, you can get warmwhite, blue, or pure white,yellow. pure white its the best light output
just ask adrian he has the same PIAA bulbs that i have.

if you really want more light output you really need higher Wattage bulbs, the PIAA ones i think are equivilant to 55W bulb. or something like that.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

actually its 55w but the output from the light is equivalent to 110w so is pretty bright as and piaa has really good reliabilty.... u can check it out here if u want.....

http://www.cargym.com/9005-hb39006-hb4-c-194_21_34.html

I personally use piaa super plasma gtx 5000k cuz i like a colour closer to hids without the legal implications but like blakey said theres many diff colour temps but most of em r bright just dont go 7500k and above cuz u wont get as much lumens, so light is not thrown further as compared to lower colour temps... max i rkn would b 5000k to not compromise visibility....

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:56 pm

yer i wasnt looking at my bulbs packet i was at work so i just guessed lol and i thought the plasma ones where HID's
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:07 pm

nah they r just diff combination of gases to provide a colour close to hid but are not hids just normal halogens.... was tossing between these or hids.... but i hate the glare of hids n well dont want legal implications so just went for these.... only just got em so have 2 put em on before the perth cruise but seen em in the flesh n they look very closed to hids and light output is awesome..... oh and also for super plasmas low beams r a hid like colour but for high beam is a pure white beam colour is the same as piaa extreme whites or slightly whiter than super white an whites.... so another reason i took em for the ability 2 adapt for each beam....

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I now have PIAA Super White which are 4300K.

Anything higher than 4500K you loose lumens for the gain in colour.

Mine are as white as I like, and no blueness to them.

Return to “Lighting”